Cruise Critic Community
frostscruise

Advice for newbie

My hubby and I are fortunate  enough to be sailing in 8 days western med in the Haven. This is our first cruise and Ive struggled with currency. So we ve got a credit card to place for our onboard spending however I obvs need dollars for tipping. Totally  new to the cruise tipping etiquette or system I have €425 in currency for the 7 days. who do you recommend tipping , approx how much and if I have any dollars left over at the end can I use these to offset some of our onboard spend and put the rest on the card? Thanks for any advice xxx

2 minutes ago, frostscruise said:

My hubby and I are fortunate  enough to be sailing in 8 days western med in the Haven. This is our first cruise and Ive struggled with currency. So we ve got a credit card to place for our onboard spending however I obvs need dollars for tipping. Totally  new to the cruise tipping etiquette or system I have €425 in currency for the 7 days. who do you recommend tipping , approx how much and if I have any dollars left over at the end can I use these to offset some of our onboard spend and put the rest on the card? Thanks for any advice xxx

If you have pre-paid your Daily Service Charge, that covers most tipping. 

You are expected to tip your butler and the concierge. How much you tip is totally up to you depending on how much you use their services. We would tip the concierge €70 and the butler €140. But, you could tip [a lot] less if you don't use their services. 

We would normally tip a bar waiter or bartender $1 USD. But it is not required or necessary. 

If your room steward does a good job, a small additional gratuity would be appreciated.

Shore excursion guides usually ask for a small tip. But it is up to you.

You can use your unused cash to pay your room account. The currency on the ship is US Dollars, so paying your room account with Euros will be done at the current exchange rate on the ship (which is not very good). 

In my opinion the DSC that is billed to your account along with the gratuity that is tacked on to drinks and dining are sufficient for most service encounters.  The only thing we tip additional is when a server or bartender goes above and beyond or if we order something from room service.

Edited by ray98

Tipping on the ship above the DSC is a personal choice. If you don't get exceptional personal service the DSC should be plenty.

As for when you are ashore if you eat in a restaurant for lunch or snacks etc, be aware most places include the tip. I spend a lot of time in Europe on land trips and it is common for the service charge to be already in the total bill in most places 

Tipping overseas isn't like tip crazy America. Read this for a better idea of what is normal in Europe

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/money/tipping-in-europe