No NFL on Jewel. Why

jskinsd

WOW this thread is 6 pages long already! The NFL must be popular with cruisers.

When I started a thread complaining  that the the cruise line wasn't showing curling all over the ship it didn't get the same attention.🤔

😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

We cancelled our package because the prices got to high: Studies have shown the Native Americans over and over do not object to either name. But that has nothing to do with cruising anyway. 

What do studies and Native Americans have to with this thread.   No NFL on the Jewel this season was a bad business decision. Money pinching.  All the cruisers who know nothing about CC and are on the Jewel this season will be disappointed and because of no football will not sail NCL again.  Great 1st impression Del Rio.   Keep up your nickle and diming ways. 

8 hours ago, jskinsd said:

What do studies and Native Americans have to with this thread.   No NFL on the Jewel this season was a bad business decision. Money pinching.  All the cruisers who know nothing about CC and are on the Jewel this season will be disappointed and because of no football will not sail NCL again.  Great 1st impression Del Rio.   Keep up your nickle and diming ways. 

Some of the passengers will  be disappointed because NFL is not on the Jewel, certainly not ALL.

Forbes's estimates the 16 million Americans watch NFL on TV each week. Let's say another 16 million watch it on-line or in bars etc. That's 32 million out of about 330 million people, or around 10%, of the population. That works out to be about 230 people on the Jewel, if everybody on board was American. If we remove the Canadians, the Europeans, the Brits and everybody else you might have 200 disappointed cruisers, and that's pushing it. Are all those - every single one of them -  going to never, ever, sail NCL again - of course not. They might loose a one or two  -  heck they probably loose more per cruise from cruisers fed up with those chair hogs taking all the good poolside loungers.

Be disappointed, or mad if you want but NCL won't be going bankrupt because  legions of NFL fan cruisers will be abandoning the ship!

Grab a beer and join the rest of us who are disappointed that the Jewel doesn't play curling, or the Canadian Football League or Luge, or Irish Hurling, or Dancing with the Stars, or .........

...... or just take a vacation from the NFL for a week or two. It will still be there when you get back home.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Some of the passengers will  be disappointed because NFL is not on the Jewel, certainly not ALL.

Forbes's estimates the 16 million Americans watch NFL on TV each week. Let's say another 16 million watch it on-line or in bars etc. That's 32 million out of about 330 million people, or around 10%, of the population. That works out to be about 230 people on the Jewel, if everybody on board was American. If we remove the Canadians, the Europeans, the Brits and everybody else you might have 200 disappointed cruisers, and that's pushing it. Are all those - every single one of them -  going to never, ever, sail NCL again - of course not. They might loose a one or two  -  heck they probably loose more per cruise from cruisers fed up with those chair hogs taking all the good poolside loungers.

Be disappointed, or mad if you want but NCL won't be going bankrupt because  legions of NFL fan cruisers will be abandoning the ship!

Grab a beer and join the rest of us who are disappointed that the Jewel doesn't play curling, or the Canadian Football League or Luge, or Irish Hurling, or Dancing with the Stars, or .........

...... or just take a vacation from the NFL for a week or two. It will still be there when you get back home.

Thank you for your wonderful suggestion on how to vent my disappointment.  I will now live a much happier life.   

Oh, I disagree. Many people will choose other cruise lines if NCL does not show NFL during prime season. My husband and many cruisers were irrate and very verbal when they didn’t show the games on my NCL cruise. By the Second game they showed it everywhere. They had to call Miami corporate to get it plugged. They knew the passengers were pissed and were not going to settle first for not seeing the games.

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

Thank you for your wonderful suggestion on how to vent my disappointment.  I will now live a much happier life.   

And you got that life changing advice for free! Non cruisers would have to pay 🤑🤑 for that.

😄

Edited by DirtyDawg

6 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

The numbers are quite higher actually. On Sundays during football games is when people generally come together. Entire families, friends etc. I'd say the number is closer to 30 million that watch it at home with another 20 million that go to bars etc. to that you also have to add the number of people that go to the stadium which is usually a little over 1 million per week.

Also, there's a flaw with you using the 330 million figure...since roughly 60 million people are under the age of 14.

19 hours ago, jskinsd said:

I was responding to the poster who brought up the topic of pro football teams names, and had you been reading the post you would know this. Instead you are choosing, it appears,to read only posters that you can ague with. OH WELL your choice,

As for anyone who is sailing their first or 20th time and choosing a ship based on what is on TV well that is their choice, but I doubt one in 100 or more do this. There is not a more dedicated sports fan than me unless it is my hubby. We still can live for 7 days without football. Heck we survived 2 weeks in Europe without sports . 

4 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

The numbers are quite higher actually. On Sundays during football games is when people generally come together. Entire families, friends etc. I'd say the number is closer to 30 million that watch it at home with another 20 million that go to bars etc. to that you also have to add the number of people that go to the stadium which is usually a little over 1 million per week.

Also, there's a flaw with you using the 330 million figure...since roughly 60 million people are under the age of 14.

NFL Media was the source that Forbes used for the 16 million number. Right from the horse's mouth as it were.

Use whichever number you want, but the percentage of cruisers who will leave NCL over this will still be minuscule - about the same odds my Toronto Argonauts have of winning the Grey Cup this year 😭 -  or the Dolphins winning the Superbowl. 

I won't be shorting NCL stock over this. 

P.S. I originally wrote Brown's just out of habit but something froze over and they are not predicted to be in the basement this year. - We'll see. 😉 

I don't have the patience to read all 6 pages.  Are NFL games only cancelled on the Jewel?  Or is this a new trend with NCL?
Once the playoff start, there will be lots of disappointed passengers.  I remember it was difficult to get a seat and they played the games on the big screen in the Atrium and most other bars.

If it is just the Jewel.  Is this  a test market kind of thing?

On 9/9/2019 at 1:47 PM, elwood_98034 said:

The French restaurant was full. The steakhouse was full. The American restaurant was totally empty.

So, they could put up 20 big TV's, put on 20 totally different American sporting events, turn the volumes up to 12 on all of them, and all the people who like to drink beer and eat wings and wear their caps backwards could congregate there and talk at the tops of their voices without disturbing ANYONE else. Maybe then people could actually get a turn in a hot tub, and some peace and quiet.

It would be perfect. For everyone.

But how else would we interfere with your vacation. God forbid other people enjoy something you don't. 

Plus it makes sense why that place is a ghost town. Most Americans sailing can go to the buffet to get burgers, hotdogs, etc. Why go to a specialty restaurant to do it? It's a wasted space for sure. 

Edited by NittanyCruise

I know I'm asking for it by saying this, but why would anyone get bent out of shape about this?  You spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to go somewhere you haven't been on a cruise.  Instead, you want to sit somewhere and watch a football game.  2 ideas:  don't vacation during football season (especially if it's out of the country)-it's FREE to stay at home so you can sit in your man cave and watch it on an 80 inch tv screen OR go on vacation to enjoy yourself and don't let 1 little football game ruin your entire cruise experience because you are angry at the cruise line about it.  What if the game is on while the ship is in port?  Would you miss the port for the game?

OMG, I'm going to miss a week of soap operas because I want to see the colosseum, pompeii and venice!  That's it, I'm cancellling.😋

And yes, 6 pages of this is a little much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knighton said:

I know I'm asking for it by saying this, but why would anyone get bent out of shape about this?  You spend hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars to go somewhere you haven't been on a cruise.  Instead, you want to sit somewhere and watch a football game.  2 ideas:  don't vacation during football season (especially if it's out of the country)-it's FREE to stay at home so you can sit in your man cave and watch it on an 80 inch tv screen OR go on vacation to enjoy yourself and don't let 1 little football game ruin your entire cruise experience because you are angry at the cruise line about it.  What if the game is on while the ship is in port?  Would you miss the port for the game?

OMG, I'm going to miss a week of soap operas because I want to see the colosseum, pompeii and venice!  That's it, I'm cancellling.😋

And yes, 6 pages of this is a little much.

This  1000%. I  think it is hilarious that people plan and spend  thousands on a cruise and   HEavens!!!!  The cruise is  "ruined"  because the NFL game is not televised!   Sometimes,  because the ship is  at sea,  the satellite feed is poor  and there is nothing worse than watching a  very grainy screen  and trying to follow a game. If NFL games are  sooooo  important to you, stay home.

Besides,  my NE Patriots are winning their  7th.  SB this year  so why torture yourselves?

42 minutes ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

This  1000%. I  think it is hilarious that people plan and spend  thousands on a cruise and   HEavens!!!!  The cruise is  "ruined"  because the NFL game is not televised!   Sometimes,  because the ship is  at sea,  the satellite feed is poor  and there is nothing worse than watching a  very grainy screen  and trying to follow a game. If NFL games are  sooooo  important to you, stay home.

Besides,  my NE Patriots are winning their  7th.  SB this year  so why torture yourselves?

If you think this is hilarious you must read the thread over on the Celebrity board about no free movies in the staterooms anymore!

And yes the Patriots will probably win the SB again but they'll be eaten alive by the Dolphins today!!! 🏈

OK, OK,  these 2019 Dolphins all have their jaws wired shut and are all vegetarians anyway so couldn't eat anything alive but there's always hope, isn't there? 👏

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

If you think this is hilarious you must read the thread over on the Celebrity board about no free movies in the staterooms anymore!

Yep, that thread's just as funny as this one!  It'd be one thing if my cabin was the size of an italian villa, and even then, if it was an italian villa, what the heck am I doing inside watching tv?  LOL.  People's priorities are very strange, indeed.

19 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

so true except for the Pats winning again. lol  As I have said, we are huge sports fans but the world will not come crushing down on us if we miss a week of football or baseball for that matter. There will always be those who over exaggerate. That is how I feel about this stupid topic. Well not a stupid topic but stupid to think people would base a vacation around one sports event. for those people they must spend their lives looking for the down side of life.   

On 9/15/2019 at 6:20 AM, DirtyDawg said:

NFL Media was the source that Forbes used for the 16 million number. Right from the horse's mouth as it were.

You sure?

http://www.nfl.com/news/

• National Football League
  • Published: Sept. 11, 2019 at 09:47 a.m.

For Week 1, NFL games were viewed by a total audience of over 109 Million viewers with a per game average minute audience of 17.1M viewers through Nielsen-measured platforms, up +5% vs. 2018 Week 1

8 minutes ago, ray98 said:

You sure?

http://www.nfl.com/news/

• National Football League
  • Published: Sept. 11, 2019 at 09:47 a.m.

For Week 1, NFL games were viewed by a total audience of over 109 Million viewers with a per game average minute audience of 17.1M viewers through Nielsen-measured platforms, up +5% vs. 2018 Week 1

It was in an press release regarding the 2018 season average viewership vs the 2017 season. Of course, individual week's stats very greatly so I used a full season stat which is more representative. 

Does the overall scale up by 5 - 6x on average for the season? Please feel free to research.

If you think NCL is going to loose tons of customers because of this go ahead and short the stock. I'm not.

Edited by DirtyDawg

3 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

It was in an press release regarding the 2018 season average viewership vs the 2017 season. Of course, individual weeks stats very greatly so I used a full season stat which is more representative. 

You are misreading those stats.  I looked up the article, the 15.8 million viewers you are mentioning is a per game average, not total.  As you can see from my stats, this week was a 17.1 million average for a total of 109 million.

Overall, NFL games this season were up 5 percent compared to 2017, and averaged 15.8 million viewers across all networks (excluding the early-morning games from London).

1 minute ago, ray98 said:

You are misreading those stats.  I looked up the article, the 15.8 million viewers you are mentioning is a per game average, not total.  As you can see from my stats, this week was a 17.1 million average for a total of 109 million.

Overall, NFL games this season were up 5 percent compared to 2017, and averaged 15.8 million viewers across all networks (excluding the early-morning games from London).

I'm not misreading anything. Please re-read my posts. I quoted the per game average of approx 16 million (rounded up). 

On 9/14/2019 at 6:33 PM, DirtyDawg said:

Forbes's estimates the 16 million Americans watch NFL on TV each week. Let's say another 16 million watch it on-line or in bars etc. That's 32 million out of about 330 million people, or around 10%, of the population.

Here is your quote.  Your number is wrong....each week the NFL tops 100 million viewers.  One individual game, between 2 of the 32 teams averaged the 16 million.

30 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Here is your quote.  Your number is wrong....each week the NFL tops 100 million viewers.  One individual game, between 2 of the 32 teams averaged the 16 million.

Ray, are those 100 million viewers all unique viewers, i.e separate people? Or is it the 16 million average per game watching 5 - 6 games per week? Or is it somewhere in the middle?

My point is and was if NCL drops NFL games from their TV's on a ship of 2,300 people how many individual people would be pissed off enough to abandon ship and sail another line. Is it 30% of the passengers(700 ish)? Is it 10% of the passengers (230)? Is it 1% of the passengers(23)? Or is it 2?

Edited by DirtyDawg