Cruise Critic Community
journeys0404

Packing for a 25 day cruise?

I’m not sure how much clothing to bring day time weather varies from 60 to 80 in different regions. For instance how many dress pants for my husband. How many dresses?  

Newby to Seabourn and over a 10 day cruise.

1 minute ago, journeys0404 said:

I’m not sure how much clothing to bring day time weather varies from 60 to 80 in different regions. For instance how many dress pants for my husband. How many dresses?  

Newby to Seabourn and over a 10 day cruise.

I'm uncertain if you are talking about a 25 day cruise or a 10 day cruise.  So--I will tell you what worked for us on 21 day and 23 day cruises.  My husband took one pair of dress pants (gray) and a couple of pairs of khaki pants (popular among Americans for both semi-dressy and casual wear).  I took a couple of dress for dinner (knit dresses that roll up in my suitcase) as well as separates that could be worn for dinner in the MDR.  Daytime clothing is another matter.  But you seemed to be asking about more dressy clothing.  

No matter how long I'm gone -I pack for a week of mix & match layers (60 to 80 is no problem for me to easily layer - 30 to 80 might be a little more challenging ;-) Then I do laundry as needed. I have no problem doing laundry on vacation and traveling light is a priority for me. Others may have different priorities.

I wear dresses during the day and for dinner (lots of knits - I wear for work as well ;-) I am just back from 2+ weeks in SE Asia (river cruise plus some land touring) and I had 4 dresses. My husband had 3 pr pants - all lightweight khaki & light gray. This was a very casual trip; if we had been on Seabourn he would have added a travel blazer ;-) He did have button down shirts (though lightweight & wicking).

Welcome to Seabourn Journeys040. Apart from the dress code which I am sure you have researched you probably are trying to envisage the standard of dress. Seabourn guests dress more elegantly compared to the monster sized ship clientele.

In a few months we are cruising 24 days with Seabourn, 100 + days will be reached sailing with Seabourn.

My stratedgy for packing is, divide the cruising days by three. Recycle  outfits for both day and evening (eg 24 days = 8 outfits for day , 8 outfits for evening). Divide your choices of clothing into some separates that can mix and match as well as layer and some dresses.

I admire folk that pack light, sadly when I have tried to pack but I was unhappy not having enough choice. Panda does his own packing. I have a sneak peek,.. suggestions are not always welcome. Luckily his dress and colour sense is okay.

Enjoy your cruise .

Edited by koalapanda

Note that on the Sojourn and Quest there are free laundry machines that are not necessarily busy, so you can probably plan to do your own wash of clothes that are machine friendly.  If you hate hanging round laundry machines, consider ordering a glass of champagne to improve your attitude.

6 hours ago, tv24 said:

Note that on the Sojourn and Quest there are free laundry machines that are not necessarily busy, so you can probably plan to do your own wash of clothes that are machine friendly.  If you hate hanging round laundry machines, consider ordering a glass of champagne to improve your attitude.

Yes to all of this ;-) Husband and I would trade off - each bringing the other a drink as needed, so one person could wait with the laundry (so as to quickly remove items and allow others to use the machines) and the other person could be up on deck with binoculars (we were in Alaska ;-)

And yes, by the end of a trip, I'm sick of what I packed. That's life - I can handle that ;-) I know I'll be home soon and can wear different things. But again - different priorities. We do all have the ways of packing that work for us.

Edited by Hoyaheel

Hi, I am taking my first Seabourn cruise in April and it will be for 22 days and there is a chance I will be on a river cruise for a week after so I will probably be gone about 30 days. I think "the black pant" will be a

major part of my wardrobe (it already is) but in this scenario, it will be even more LOL:classic_biggrin:.....I will be

wearing them for evenings and just changing tops and I am sure if I mix/match I will be just fine.  They

make lots of materials these days that don't wrinkle...….makes packing much easier!

My husband took two jackets for our last 23  day Seabourn cruise--one was a classic navy blazer and the other a sports coat.  I depend on a lot of black separates for dinner and evening along with the knit dresses I mentioned above. .  For me, it works best to have various combinations that can be worn with different jewelry and scarves.  If I was more of a fashionista I would figure out more imaginative evening wear---but, for now, the black combos are working for me.  

We found the washing machines in the laundry room on Sojourn to be quite busy whenever we checked.  We ended up using them only to dry my husband's jeans which got very wet while canoeing in Alaska.  We used the ship's $50/bag of laundry a couple of times  and were quite pleased with the results (once we counted socks correctly).  

I also take a light jacket as well as a light quilted zip up vest which can be worn under it (or separately) if necessary.  Both are navy and work with all of my daytime clothing.  My husband takes a light jacket as well as a cotton pullover sweater.  

Edited by SLSD

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

I depend on a lot of black separates for dinner and evening along with the knit dresses I mentioned above. .  For me, it works best to have various combinations that can be worn with different jewelry and scarves.  If I was more of a fashionista I would figure out more imaginative evening wear---but, for now, the black combos are working for me.  

We found the washing machines in the laundry room on Sojourn to be quite busy whenever we checked. 

We found the washing machines to be very busy on both the Odyssey and Sojourn, but used them on our first two cruises on Seabourn. Then we were able to use the Seabourn Club perk of one bag of laundry per week free, and we were very happy with the service. I am an expert at stuffing a lot into one of those little bags!

I take a couple of dresses, and then a number of dressy tops to wear with my black pants for evening. It works. I may be a bit tired of my clothing choices on the 2020 World Cruise...

Agree with the above comments re layers, rotation of outfits, lots of black separates, sending laundry out in the flat-fee bags, etc.  We've also found the dry cleaning service to be helpful (2-day turnaround is standard, but you can pay extra for 1-day service).  SB's fees for dry cleaning aren't outrageous.  

Am I the only one shocked that someone would use the dryer to dry an unwashed pair of jeans!    I also thought (now I hope) that passengers would only use the dryers to dry washed clean clothing.   

48 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Am I the only one shocked that someone would use the dryer to dry an unwashed pair of jeans!    I also thought (now I hope) that passengers would only use the dryers to dry washed clean clothing.   

I'll tell my husband you were shocked  Covepointcruiser.  He did the drying and wanted to wear them the next day.  I trust no one suffered harm from him drying the jeans.  

It depends on your flights. If your flying business or first class then I pack everything but the kitchen sink. If coach then I guess depends on how much you want to pay.  You don't have to lug it around on a cruise so take whatever you want. That is my philosophy at least. I have not had the opportunity to take such a long cruise but have taken a land based 3 month trip around the world. We had to lug around two large suitcases, 1 carry on, and a backpack each due to a multitude very different climates  - it was quite a chore. 

Don't forget your hat boxes!  And the hats...