Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
caribophile

Al fresco dining on the Nieuw Statendam

You can also sit at one of the tables near the main pool.  As for not having a tray, do what we did.  I bought some inexpensive trays, packed them between T-shirts and used them to carry multiple dishes to our chosen table by the pool (either aft or amid-ship).  It saves a lot of walking, and most people commented on what a good idea it was.

6 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

You can also sit at one of the tables near the main pool.  As for not having a tray, do what we did.  I bought some inexpensive trays, packed them between T-shirts and used them to carry multiple dishes to our chosen table by the pool (either aft or amid-ship).  It saves a lot of walking, and most people commented on what a good idea it was.

Brilliant. I bought some trays off Amazon for very little. They just look like cafeteria trays. Nice for all sorts of stuff like taking steaks out to the grill or taking drinks out to the patio when we have guests. Think I will pack one for our next cruise to help in the Lido and getting stuff back to the cabin. 🥂

11 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

Brilliant. I bought some trays off Amazon for very little. They just look like cafeteria trays. Nice for all sorts of stuff like taking steaks out to the grill or taking drinks out to the patio when we have guests. Think I will pack one for our next cruise to help in the Lido and getting stuff back to the cabin. 🥂

I am going to order some, thanks for the info.

Nothing like breakfast watching the wake! Thanks for the information and clever ideas everyone.

A bit off topic maybe, but the Tamarind on the Nieuw Statendam also has an al fresco dining area.  It is usually only open when the ship has a late night port departure. 

18 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

I bought a couple at the Dollar Tree. & yes, they're good around the house, too.

There is also a round metal tray in your room, under the ice bucket and glasses.

1 hour ago, Caymus88 said:

Trays aren’t provided?

No, trays were removed a number of years ago.

Mind you, if you order from the Dive In, that is served on a small metallic tray.

On 9/7/2019 at 8:30 PM, fatcat04 said:

Brilliant. I bought some trays off Amazon for very little. They just look like cafeteria trays. 

I bet one could probably find something at a local thrift store that would suffice as well! But I do agree it's an inspired idea! I'll start browsing now for our holiday cruise.

Edited by rucrazy
Completed my response