Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

I was wondering if any solo cruisers could chime in on their recent experiences on Carnival. I strictly cruised Carnival up until a few years ago, but after I tried out Norwegian I became a fan of their solo cabins and nightly events for solo travels. They do a great job of creating a fun atmosphere for everyone traveling solo; young and old. 

 

I remember Carnival always having a singles meet up at certain bars but the majority of the time next to no one would show up. Is this still the same norm, or have they advanced any?

 

Thanks in advance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are satisfied with NCL solo cabins and studio lounge, switching to Carnival as a solo might seem like a downgrade.  I've cruised solo on Carnival many times, mainly for casino offers, and there is a lack of effort on Carnival's part to organize and promote solo cruising.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 11 solo cruises on carnival under my belt but I don’t know if a good solo cruise for me would be a good solo cruise for you.

 

I’m not interested in solo lounges or singles mixers. When I compared a NCL studio cabin to my inside cabin on the Dream I found the prices to be comparable and I liked my Lido deck inside cabin better than the studio cabin in the bowels of a NCL ship.

 

I did notice that one of the times I couldn’t get a seat at the alchemy bar this last cruise was during a singles mixer...possibly indicating good attendance. But I think they only schedule those once per cruise so if that’s what you’re looking for, I’d look elsewhere.

 

Edited by Saint Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to agree with Saint Greg. I almost always cruise solo and at a price that would be almost identical to the NCL solo cabin price. Sometimes the inside cabin I get has two portholes for the same price ! I have no need for the mixers and get-togethers in the NCL lounge, I'm sorry, but I find them primarly aimed at the socially inept, IMHO. I don't recall any specific meetings for singles cruisers either.

 

I would, however, support Carnival building a ship which has a floor of tiny minimal cabins aimed at the solo cruiser. I'm seldom there  . . . shower, change clothes, and sleep if I must. 🙂

Edited by glrounds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yellowjacket1799 said:

I was wondering if any solo cruisers could chime in on their recent experiences on Carnival. I strictly cruised Carnival up until a few years ago, but after I tried out Norwegian I became a fan of their solo cabins and nightly events for solo travels. They do a great job of creating a fun atmosphere for everyone traveling solo; young and old. 

 

I remember Carnival always having a singles meet up at certain bars but the majority of the time next to no one would show up. Is this still the same norm, or have they advanced any?

 

Thanks in advance. 

 

Having taken a dozen solo cruises on Carnival in the past five years, I can tell you that they're doing the same old thing for solos - almost nothing.  The poorly defined, poorly attended singles mixers are still there, but they haven't added anything else specifically for solos.  Indeed, they took one thing away - there were occasionally bookings available with a lowered or no single tax.  I haven't seen those for some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my solo experiences on Carnival, the solo meet ups were hit and miss.  I tend to just make friends among those I meet with the common interests we find--singles, couples, families.  This is usually at the Alchemy Bar for me, where the solo and single get togethers are usually scheduled anyway.  So I'm there whether or not there's a  meet up, and the results are usually the same.  I almost tried the NCL solo cabins, but I like ships with a lot of deck space and good views of the sea, and there seems to be more of those spaces on Carnival and other cruise lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, glrounds said:

 

 

I would, however, support Carnival building a ship which has a floor of tiny minimal cabins aimed at the solo cruiser. I'm seldom there  . . . shower, change clothes, and sleep if I must. 🙂

 

If they built solo cabins that where I didn’t have to pay double, i’d consider it. As it is I’m not even considering giving up my king bed for an upper/lower because the savings hasn’t been significant enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, glrounds said:

I would have to agree with Saint Greg. I almost always cruise solo and at a price that would be almost identical to the NCL solo cabin price. Sometimes the inside cabin I get has two portholes for the same price ! I have no need for the mixers and get-togethers in the NCL lounge, I'm sorry, but I find them primarly aimed at the socially inept, IMHO. I don't recall any specific meetings for singles cruisers either.

 

I would, however, support Carnival building a ship which has a floor of tiny minimal cabins aimed at the solo cruiser. I'm seldom there  . . . shower, change clothes, and sleep if I must. 🙂

 

For me it’s about getting everyone together from the start. 

 

I’ve cruised solo many times on multiple lines and easily make friends with groups, couples, singles, etc. But if you have fifty people cruising alone on the ship it just seems to make sense to get them all together from the start. 

 

Meeting people to hang out with is the easy part; finding all the solo cruisers is the challenge! 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a great rate for MSC Armonia sailing in 4/20.  Inside cabin. Bella.  I have sailed NCL in Studio Cabins and getting this "inside" Cabin on Armonia will be a huge upgrade (as far as space).

I have priced many, many cruises according to my needs.  It all depends on you.  I don't care about dining...I will not starve.  I also don't care about race tracks, laser tag, etc.  I want the itinerary. 

Carnival has many itineraries I would be interested in, but as soon as you plug in "1 person", the price is crazy. 

As a solo traveler, I have had a TON of fun no matter where I landed (with or without Solo Host).

Enjoy your cruise no matter what you decide on 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost  my wife several weeks ago so am now a solo cruiser.  I think some cruisers are being a bit unrealistic.  In this unsympathetic and profit oriented business world, why would you expect Carnival or any other cruise line to reduce prices for solo cruisers when they can sell the same cabin to two cruisers?  Harsh and mean but that is the real world.   

 

It upsets me too but consider the following to help alleviate the situation.  Pay for the cruise with AARP gift cards and that is an immediate 10 percent savings.  You only have to consider buying Cruise Insurance for one which is a savings of about $130 to $200 for an 8 day cruise.  I could be wrong but I think you just pay one port fee for solo cruising.  I use to buy the balcony cabin but to reduce costs, have changed to a mid ship window.  That can save you hundreds depending on the deck.  Buy your cruise one to two years in advance.  That is usually a money saver and you can apply for a price change if the price would be lowered as long as you have not made final payment. 

 

These suggestions may not cover the total difference but they certainly will help.  Now, onward to a March, 2020 cruise and I just purchased my January, 2021 cruise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a solo cruiser, but my brother is.  I would love to see Carnival, as they revamp ships, dedicate half a deck (not under the Lido Deck) to solo cruisers. 

 

Using the Carnival Magic for an example. Half of Deck 8 could be for solo cruiser - maybe the port side.  Make the cabins a little small - inside & balcony.  Do the same for a deck that have ocean-view & inside.  And charge a solo price, that's not ridiculously high.

 

People cruise solo because they want to go or can't find anyone to go with them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richfret said:

Lost  my wife several weeks ago so am now a solo cruiser.  I think some cruisers are being a bit unrealistic.  In this unsympathetic and profit oriented business world, why would you expect Carnival or any other cruise line to reduce prices for solo cruisers when they can sell the same cabin to two cruisers?  Harsh and mean but that is the real world.   

 

It upsets me too but consider the following to help alleviate the situation.  Pay for the cruise with AARP gift cards and that is an immediate 10 percent savings.  You only have to consider buying Cruise Insurance for one which is a savings of about $130 to $200 for an 8 day cruise.  I could be wrong but I think you just pay one port fee for solo cruising.  I use to buy the balcony cabin but to reduce costs, have changed to a mid ship window.  That can save you hundreds depending on the deck.  Buy your cruise one to two years in advance.  That is usually a money saver and you can apply for a price change if the price would be lowered as long as you have not made final payment. 

 

These suggestions may not cover the total difference but they certainly will help.  Now, onward to a March, 2020 cruise and I just purchased my January, 2021 cruise.

 

 

 

Some solo cruise may not qualify for AARP - yet.  😄  Even downgrading from balcony to ocean view, it's still expense for a solo traveler. You should not have to pay almost double to sail solo, regardless of your cabin.

 

Happy Sails. 🛥️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

 

Having taken a dozen solo cruises on Carnival in the past five years, I can tell you that they're doing the same old thing for solos - almost nothing.  The poorly defined, poorly attended singles mixers are still there, but they haven't added anything else specifically for solos.  Indeed, they took one thing away - there were occasionally bookings available with a lowered or no single tax.  I haven't seen those for some time.

They took this away when people that normally book 2 in a cabin decided to take advantage of it and book two side by sides solo. This gave the cruisers twice as much room for about the same price. It also cost Carnival because they were then getting the rate of one cabin to cover two. This selfishness on the cruisers part cost those that cruise solo that advantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruzn buckeye said:

They took this away when people that normally book 2 in a cabin decided to take advantage of it and book two side by sides solo. This gave the cruisers twice as much room for about the same price. It also cost Carnival because they were then getting the rate of one cabin to cover two. This selfishness on the cruisers part cost those that cruise solo that advantage.

Your are right.  Never thought about that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruzn buckeye said:

They took this away when people that normally book 2 in a cabin decided to take advantage of it and book two side by sides solo. This gave the cruisers twice as much room for about the same price. It also cost Carnival because they were then getting the rate of one cabin to cover two. This selfishness on the cruisers part cost those that cruise solo that advantage.

 

Was that really happening or did someone just post braggingly on CC that they did this?  Doesn't make sense.  Carnival had a 150% solo supplement, so if 2 solos booked 2 cabins, they were essentially paying 3 fares. If they stayed in the same cabin, they only paid for 2.  Why pay an extra fare, say $500, for a little more space?

 

I cruised solo on Carnival many times when they had the 150% solo fare and never met anyone on board doing the 2 person/2 cabin booking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

 

Some solo cruise may not qualify for AARP - yet.  😄  Even downgrading from balcony to ocean view, it's still expense for a solo traveler. You should not have to pay almost double to sail solo, regardless of your cabin.

 

Happy Sails. 🛥️

Didn't have to be a member of AARP to be the cards on the old Rewards for Good. Wait to see how the new program works and hope the still have Carnival gift cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canes20 said:

Didn't have to be a member of AARP to be the cards on the old Rewards for Good. Wait to see how the new program works and hope the still have Carnival gift cards.

 

It bothers me that it is such a secret until September 24 when the announcement is made regarding the new program for gift cards.  I have paid for several Carnival cruises with the gift cards and it was a heck of a deal and easy to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not cruised solo yet, but when I do, I don't think it would be NCL. I was excited when I first heard they were introducing solo cabins, but lost that enthusiasm once I saw them. Never say never, but I don't see it. I don't like interior rooms and having a window that opens to a hallway is not appealing to me. That's similar to the Havana cabins on Carnival that have the balcony right at the walkway. People will be walking back and forth by your open window and normal curiosity is to look in. The size is also too small. Just because I'm solo doesn't mean I want to be in a supply closet. I'm one of those people that enjoys being in my room when there are no activities going on that I'm interested in. As far as the solo lounge or events, I'm more introverted, so I don't really seek out opportunities to meet people. If it just happens organically, ok, but I don't look for it. I have to talk to people all day at work, so when I go on vacation, that's another time I get to turn off the motor mouth.

 

Royal Caribbean's solo balconies look good. I'll try those. Virgin Voyages will have solo cabins as well. If I remember correctly there will be interior and sea view rooms. Too bad there won't be a solo balcony, but that's one ship that I think I would spend a lot of time out of my room, so sea view would be ok. The common areas look great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cruzn buckeye said:

They took this away when people that normally book 2 in a cabin decided to take advantage of it and book two side by sides solo. This gave the cruisers twice as much room for about the same price. It also cost Carnival because they were then getting the rate of one cabin to cover two. This selfishness on the cruisers part cost those that cruise solo that advantage.

Wow, I didn't know that.  Darn shame!  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always sail solo and I have no desire to mingle with other solo cruisers.  More often that not, other solos that end up as fellow tablemates, I refer to as barnacles and  will scrape them off using the sharpest tool I can find.  I will take any discounts to the solo supplement, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, richfret said:

Lost  my wife several weeks ago so am now a solo cruiser. 

 

I'm so very sorry for your loss.  😞 

 

I'll be a solo cruiser on my November Vista cruise. It was a casino offer for a free balcony for 2, but my husband couldn't go, and I didn't find anybody else to go with me, so I'm going solo. I don't care about solo events or parties. I've never cruised solo before, but I've never been uncomfortable going to events, restaurants, or entertainment alone.  My only real nervousness is about port days and sunscreen on my back!

 

If I had to pay a big penalty for cruising solo, that would be a problem for me. But if I get offers that make it so it doesn't matter, I will take them!

 

No - You do not need to pay port fees for two if you are cruising solo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, cruzn buckeye said:

They took this away when people that normally book 2 in a cabin decided to take advantage of it and book two side by sides solo. This gave the cruisers twice as much room for about the same price. It also cost Carnival because they were then getting the rate of one cabin to cover two. This selfishness on the cruisers part cost those that cruise solo that advantage.

Why would 2 people want to pay 150% each just to get 2 rooms when they could save money by just getting one room. Seems crazy to me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried booking a single rate on a 4-day cruise I saw out of Port Canaveral. An inside cabin showed as $139pp with about $100 in taxes/port fees etc. But when I did a mock booking the price was actually $199pp, making the total cost just over $500 instead of the $380 I was expecting.

 

I know the price is "average cost pp" but what gives? I tried letting Carnival choose my room thinking a guaranteed room was the shown rate but it was the same total cost. Would a PVP be able to find a better rate? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 10:11 PM, CoolOne56 said:

 

Some solo cruise may not qualify for AARP - yet.  😄  Even downgrading from balcony to ocean view, it's still expense for a solo traveler. You should not have to pay almost double to sail solo, regardless of your cabin.

 

Happy Sails. 🛥️

 

Anybody with $16 qualifies for AARP membership... There is no age requirement to join.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SDPilot said:

 

Anybody with $16 qualifies for AARP membership... There is no age requirement to join.

You didn't even have to be a member with the old Rewards for Good program but that is being replaced and the new program starts the 23rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...