Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

On 9/9/2019 at 9:19 PM, Elaine5715 said:

I always sail solo and I have no desire to mingle with other solo cruisers.  More often that not, other solos that end up as fellow tablemates, I refer to as barnacles and  will scrape them off using the sharpest tool I can find.  I will take any discounts to the solo supplement, though.

 

All I can say is WOW because what I really want to say will get me kicked off CC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 5:46 PM, NotTooCritical said:

I don't like interior rooms and having a window that opens to a hallway is not appealing to me. That's similar to the Havana cabins on Carnival that have the balcony right at the walkway. People will be walking back and forth by your open window and normal curiosity is to look in.

 

Just so you know - they can't see in from the hall (one way windows) and there's a shade/blinds that closes it all off if you want too. I've never seen anyone peaking in. Starting with Bliss they replaced it with virtual windows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, CruisingAgain said:

 

All I can say is WOW because what I really want to say will get me kicked off CC

Why?  I have had numerous older female tablemates who were GIFTED a cruise by their adult children.  Their complaining never stopped from the timing of the vacation they apparently were forced on to the choice of staterooms.  Them finding out I sail solo by choice seemed to require them to "warn" me of the dangers at each port while insisting "we" should stick together.  Being spotted onboard would prompt them to suggest I join their planned activities since "ladies don't sit at the bar" or "we don't care for gambling unless it is at so and so casino".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why?  I have had numerous older female tablemates who were GIFTED a cruise by their adult children.  Their complaining never stopped from the timing of the vacation they apparently were forced on to the choice of staterooms.  Them finding out I sail solo by choice seemed to require them to "warn" me of the dangers at each port while insisting "we" should stick together.  Being spotted onboard would prompt them to suggest I join their planned activities since "ladies don't sit at the bar" or "we don't care for gambling unless it is at so and so casino".

WOW again! Solo seems best for you so why have tablemates?

The subject of solo sailing has never come up with me and I spend lots of time around the ship without a companion. Well, there was the one time a guy 20 years my junior asking if I was alone but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t about to warn me of dangers. Told him I wasn’t alone and we had a nice chat at the bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

WOW again! Solo seems best for you so why have tablemates?

The subject of solo sailing has never come up with me and I spend lots of time around the ship without a companion. Well, there was the one time a guy 20 years my junior asking if I was alone but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t about to warn me of dangers. Told him I wasn’t alone and we had a nice chat at the bar.

Because I like early dining?  I do find it interesting that male tablemates don't find other solo cruisers curiosities. You do remember the OP's question?

Edited by Elaine5715

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, canes20 said:

Why would 2 people want to pay 150% each just to get 2 rooms when they could save money by just getting one room. Seems crazy to me?

 

Speaking for myself, I can see a scenario wherein my wife doesn't want to go on a cruise (she's not big on cruising), but my daughter would want to go.  I would want a separate cabin from the daughter.  So in that instance, 2 solo cabins might make sense....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or, like me, I enjoy traveling with a friend but I want my own cabin.  The cost isn't the most important criteria.  I like my space!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:15 AM, evandbob said:

 

Was that really happening or did someone just post braggingly on CC that they did this?  Doesn't make sense.  Carnival had a 150% solo supplement, so if 2 solos booked 2 cabins, they were essentially paying 3 fares. If they stayed in the same cabin, they only paid for 2.  Why pay an extra fare, say $500, for a little more space?

 

I cruised solo on Carnival many times when they had the 150% solo fare and never met anyone on board doing the 2 person/2 cabin booking.

Yes, this was happening.  And yes, more than a couple people posted here that they did this.

They did it for the space.  Many people did this.

If the cabin booked was 500 (250pp) solo would pay 375. for that cabin with the solo supplement. So they could get two adjoining cabins, sometimes connected with a door inside, for 750.    This gives them double the space which is nice.  However Carnival would be losing because if they were able to book both cabins at full fare, they would be getting 1000. If would be a loss for them. No wonder they stopped doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, athlonnx said:

 

Speaking for myself, I can see a scenario wherein my wife doesn't want to go on a cruise (she's not big on cruising), but my daughter would want to go.  I would want a separate cabin from the daughter.  So in that instance, 2 solo cabins might make sense....

I agree that your situation makes sense. 

 

However, I responded to a statement that Carnival stopped the 150% solo supplement because there were too many couples who would normally book a single cabin booking 2 cabins to take "advantage" of the 150% fare to save money and get more space.  See the immediate post above #33.

 

I questioned that opinion, not your situation.

Edited by evandbob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cruzn buckeye said:

Yes, this was happening.  And yes, more than a couple people posted here that they did this.

They did it for the space.  Many people did this.

If the cabin booked was 500 (250pp) solo would pay 375. for that cabin with the solo supplement. So they could get two adjoining cabins, sometimes connected with a door inside, for 750.    This gives them double the space which is nice.  However Carnival would be losing because if they were able to book both cabins at full fare, they would be getting 1000. If would be a loss for them. No wonder they stopped doing it.

I questioned this, because of the many posts on this board about carrying on soda or water, using a slot machine to cash out OBC, not wanting to pay gratuities, parking off site, flying budget airlines, driving instead of flying, booking guaranteed cabins, etc., etc., all tactics to save a few dollars.

 

I might imagine there may be one or two passengers who would think it's a bargain to get double the space by spending 50% more, but that they could be in the vast minority, since they are still spending $250 more in your example over the fare for a single cabin.

 

Let's generously say there were 50 to a 100 individual posts on CC affirming they employed this tactic.  CC contributors probably make up 0.1% or less of the estimated 25 to 30 million cruising population in 2019.  Even dividing the total # of cruisers on Carnival per year by the 50 to a 100 claiming to purchase 2 cabins for 2 people seems miniscule and insignificant.

 

Hardly a number that could influence a bean counter.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because I like early dining?  I do find it interesting that male tablemates don't find other solo cruisers curiosities. You do remember the OP's question?

You should try YTD. You can go early and request a table for one or with others.  You can request the same servers every night or you can switch it up. until you get the right mix of male tablemates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to book solo cabins on Carnival at the 150% rate.  It was only available for 1A and 4A cabins, of which there are a limited number.  I question how many couples were paying 3 fares for these inside cabins for some extra space.  

 

Roz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because I like early dining?  I do find it interesting that male tablemates don't find other solo cruisers curiosities. You do remember the OP's question?

While your earlier "barnacle" comment was overly harsh and uncalled for, your comment about men's vs. women's reaction to solo cruisers is pretty accurate.  I noticed the same thing, and I'm male.  Although as a man, I rarely, if ever, had someone "barnacle" themselves onto me.  I also watch my behavior to make sure I don't become one myself.

 

Most non-solo men I met on my cruises who found out I was cruising solo usually had a "cool, you do you" reaction, although service personnel were somewhat complimentary about it.  Non-solo women, on the other hand, had fairly polarized reactions.  They either strongly complimented me for it, once going as far as "That's so awesome! Props to you for doing that!", or the complete opposite, like "Wow, that's bizarre!"

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:19 PM, Elaine5715 said:

I always sail solo and I have no desire to mingle with other solo cruisers.  More often that not, other solos that end up as fellow tablemates, I refer to as barnacles and  will scrape them off using the sharpest tool I can find.  I will take any discounts to the solo supplement, though.

I truly appreciate this post. As an ambivert who is usually only extroverted in the presence of people I know and love, those barnacles would be my worst nightmare. I am not shy I just have low tolerance for mingling. It drains me. 

I haven't yet cruised solo, mainly because I haven't found the right price. I'm perfectly content, and even prefer, being alone most of the time. I want to be left to myself to enjoy the ocean and escape to my (book) fantasy worlds. While I wouldn't mind sitting at dinner with others, I would tend to listen and observe more than participate. And if I discovered barnacles, I too would scrape them off and disappear with all haste. Disapparating would be preferable but, alas, I am a muggle 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, OnePsychLynne said:

I truly appreciate this post. As an ambivert who is usually only extroverted in the presence of people I know and love, those barnacles would be my worst nightmare. I am not shy I just have low tolerance for mingling. It drains me. 

I haven't yet cruised solo, mainly because I haven't found the right price. I'm perfectly content, and even prefer, being alone most of the time. I want to be left to myself to enjoy the ocean and escape to my (book) fantasy worlds. While I wouldn't mind sitting at dinner with others, I would tend to listen and observe more than participate. And if I discovered barnacles, I too would scrape them off and disappear with all haste. Disapparating would be preferable but, alas, I am a muggle 😕

You describe me. I travel solo, because I like to be solo. I have no desire to join in on solo activities. Usually on the more unique, longer cruises I do, there are usually cruise friends also onboard. If not, I will sometimes chat with people if I’m having my evening martini at the bar. I don’t go to the MDR anymore, so I usually just grab a bite somewhere else. It is my preference not to dine with strangers.

I don’t worry about single supplements. I look at the per day price, and if that fits in my wheelhouse. What would I pay if I did a land vaca, and had to factor in hotel, decent meals (not McDonald’s 3 meals a day) and entertainment? Most of the time a cruise is cheaper, and I get to see a variety of destinations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CruisingAgain said:

You should try YTD. You can go early and request a table for one or with others.  You can request the same servers every night or you can switch it up. until you get the right mix of male tablemates.

Wasn't looking for advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnePsychLynne said:

I truly appreciate this post. As an ambivert who is usually only extroverted in the presence of people I know and love, those barnacles would be my worst nightmare. I am not shy I just have low tolerance for mingling. It drains me. 

I haven't yet cruised solo, mainly because I haven't found the right price. I'm perfectly content, and even prefer, being alone most of the time. I want to be left to myself to enjoy the ocean and escape to my (book) fantasy worlds. While I wouldn't mind sitting at dinner with others, I would tend to listen and observe more than participate. And if I discovered barnacles, I too would scrape them off and disappear with all haste. Disapparating would be preferable but, alas, I am a muggle 😕

I have had some fascinating tablemates including one family whose patriarch was a retired rear admiral. II always bring a book and should the tablemates not be a conversant mix, I read.  There are  numerous posts on these boards who swear/brag  that they would never sail solo.  Then again, they may be the same people who are uncomfortable dining alone in a restaurant at home.  I think it is the epitome vacation for introverts and ambiverts.  There are always people willing to engage in casual conversation and you can engage or not.  Your introvert sense will tingle when the barnacles come near.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, evandbob said:

However, I responded to a statement that Carnival stopped the 150% solo supplement because there were too many couples who would normally book a single cabin booking 2 cabins to take "advantage" of the 150% fare to save money and get more space.  See the immediate post above #33.

Why would couples want separate cabins?  Wouldn't they want to have... "ice cream" together at night?  Is the extra space really worth it?  Unless one of them stores or moves around in bed way too much, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Why would couples want separate cabins?  Wouldn't they want to have... "ice cream" together at night?  Is the extra space really worth it?  Unless one of them stores or moves around in bed way too much, that is.

I can see it on other cruise lines, where solo’s get double points. On RCI, once you reach 340 points (days), solos get cabins at 150%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

I can see it on other cruise lines, where solo’s get double points. On RCI, once you reach 340 points (days), solos get cabins at 150%.

 

I hope they do double points. 340 is a lot of days. That’s like 50 cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Why would couples want separate cabins?  Wouldn't they want to have... "ice cream" together at night?  Is the extra space really worth it?  Unless one of them stores or moves around in bed way too much, that is.

 

I could see them using one room as more of a living room. I think everyone with a female in their cabin would see value in having two bathrooms.

 

 

Edited by Saint Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

 

I hope they do double points. 340 is a lot of days. That’s like 50 cruises.

With longer cruises, it adds up fast. I have a 14 and 13 night B2B in 2021, which gets me 54 points. I don’t think I will get to 340, but after those 2, I will be at 196. I’m finally reaching Diamond on my upcoming Splendor cruise to Singapore, so not much more to strive for on Carnival. But I will still sail if the itinerary or new ship is appealing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crzndeb said:

With longer cruises, it adds up fast. I have a 14 and 13 night B2B in 2021, which gets me 54 points. I don’t think I will get to 340, but after those 2, I will be at 196. I’m finally reaching Diamond on my upcoming Splendor cruise to Singapore, so not much more to strive for on Carnival. But I will still sail if the itinerary or new ship is appealing.

 

Yeah I wish I could spend a month on a cruise ship. I can barely get away from work a week at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also enjoy cruising solo but hate paying the price for two people. While reading this thread, I had an idea. Would people be interested in a special solo rate if the cruise line matched you with another traveler of the same gender?  For example, say a 7-night cruise was $1500 for two people, $1500 for the solo, but $750 if they match you with another passenger.  That would be a nice way to make new friends and save money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I also enjoy cruising solo but hate paying the price for two people. While reading this thread, I had an idea. Would people be interested in a special solo rate if the cruise line matched you with another traveler of the same gender?  For example, say a 7-night cruise was $1500 for two people, $1500 for the solo, but $750 if they match you with another passenger.  That would be a nice way to make new friends and save money. 

 

Nah I’m good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...