Solo Cruisers

Yellowjacket1799

1 hour ago, ChinaShrek said:

I also enjoy cruising solo but hate paying the price for two people. While reading this thread, I had an idea. Would people be interested in a special solo rate if the cruise line matched you with another traveler of the same gender?  For example, say a 7-night cruise was $1500 for two people, $1500 for the solo, but $750 if they match you with another passenger.  That would be a nice way to make new friends and save money. 

I like the idea but it would be very tricky to match two strangers. The only way I could see it working would be for the cruise line to develop a "matchmaking" questionnaire or algorithm (for lack of a better example). And honestly that would probably be hit or miss. You'd likely have more luck finding a cruise buddy on a site like this one. 

Edited by OnePsychLynne

3 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I also enjoy cruising solo but hate paying the price for two people. While reading this thread, I had an idea. Would people be interested in a special solo rate if the cruise line matched you with another traveler of the same gender?  For example, say a 7-night cruise was $1500 for two people, $1500 for the solo, but $750 if they match you with another passenger.  That would be a nice way to make new friends and save money. 

The price of the room would still be $1,500.

I hate when people say solo cruisers pay twice as much as two people.  That isn't true.  The fare is the same with just one person as it is with two people.  Solo cruisers actually pay less overall than two people.  Solo cruisers only pay one set of port fees, taxes, and gratuities.  They only pay for transportation to and from the ship for one person.  They only pay for drinks and excursions for one person.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

I hate when people say solo cruisers pay twice as much as two people.  That isn't true.  The fare is the same with just one person as it is with two people.  Solo cruisers actually pay less overall than two people.  Solo cruisers only pay one set of port fees, taxes, and gratuities.  They only pay for transportation to and from the ship for one person.  They only pay for drinks and excursions for one person.

Sorry, your post makes no sense.  And I only have one income.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

I think you missed the point. Yes, the cost per cabin is the same--for the cruise line. But if I can share that cost with someone, then I'm only spending $750 on the cabin instead of $1500.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

Solo cruisers only eat for one, only take up one seat at the shows, only take up one spot by the pool...yet we still pay full fare for two people. You think the extra set gratuities makes up for a full weeks worth of food, entertainment, and use of facilities for the second person?

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Solo cruisers only eat for one, only take up one seat at the shows, only take up one spot by the pool...yet we still pay full fare for two people. You think the extra set gratuities makes up for a full weeks worth of food, entertainment, and use of facilities for the second person?

It may not, but you are still paying less.

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Sorry, your post makes no sense.  And I only have one income.

My post makes sense.  I made two different points.  $750 × 2 is $1,500.  Carnival is still getting $1,500 no matter how many bank accounts it comes out of.  Solo cruisers pay less overall.  I gave examples. I also only have one income.

• Like 1

This is just marketing.  If they change the the pricing model to be a cabin fare plus a resort fee it would be more transparent.  The resort fee could be based per person and would include the costs for food, entertain, port fees, and taxes.  So when you book a cruise, you would pay the cabin fare of $x + ($Y resort fee * number of people in the room).

But that number won't be as low as pp based on double occupancy so it doesn't sound as good for advertising.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

Actually, my example said nothing about taxes, which go to the government, or gratuities, which are optional.  I am still paying twice for the cabin. 

3 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Actually, my example said nothing about taxes, which go to the government, or gratuities, which are optional.  I am still paying twice for the cabin. 

You’re not paying twice for the cabin.  You are paying the rate for the cabin.  However they market pricing based on per person double occupancy.  In your case, you don’t have the double occupancy to share the cabin rate with so you feel as if you are paying twice for the cabin.  The room costs the same no matter how many people are in it.  Yes, I agree that solos should pay less for food since you are not eating two peoples worth. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CharmCity2000 said:

You’re not paying twice for the cabin.  You are paying the rate for the cabin.  However they market pricing based on per person double occupancy.  In your case, you don’t have the double occupancy to share the cabin rate with so you feel as if you are paying twice for the cabin.  The room costs the same no matter how many people are in it.  Yes, I agree that solos should pay less for food since you are not eating two peoples worth. 

Yet they charge additional for a 3rd and 4th person. Why? Because those people eat the food, attend the shows, watch the movies, use the pools, hot tubs, fitness center, etc. I'm willing to concede that the room costs the same whether it contains 1 or 2 people, but there should be some sort of solo supplement for using half of everything else. 150% makes sense to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

Nobody is talking about bus rides, pre-cruise meals, or excursions. We're talking about cruise fare.

Just like the fare, these are all costs I would incur to take a cruise.  The bus rides are transportation to the port.  Everybody pays for transportation whether it is a flight, train, bus, or gas in their car.  The cost to transport one person is cheaper than the cost to transport two people.  Food costs money whether it is food from home or at a restaurant.  People have to eat.  The cost of an excursion for one person is cheaper than the cost for two people.  That applies to anyone that goes on an excursion.

54 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Yet they charge additional for a 3rd and 4th person. Why? Because those people eat the food, attend the shows, watch the movies, use the pools, hot tubs, fitness center, etc. I'm willing to concede that the room costs the same whether it contains 1 or 2 people, but there should be some sort of solo supplement for using half of everything else. 150% makes sense to me.

I agree with you that 150% makes sense

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 1:16 AM, glrounds said:

I would, however, support Carnival building a ship which has a floor of tiny minimal cabins aimed at the solo cruiser. I'm seldom there  . . . shower, change clothes, and sleep if I must. 🙂

Besides the solo cabins on the Breakaway and Breakaway Plus ships on NCL, there are solo cabins available on the newer builds on both RCI and Celebrity, including balconies as well.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:55 PM, ChinaShrek said:

I'd rather pay more money than room with a stranger.  If they don't jive with you for whatever reason it could turn your hard earned vacation into a total nightmare.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JerseyGirlJen said:

I'd rather pay more money than room with a stranger.  If they don't jive with you for whatever reason it could turn your hard earned vacation into a total nightmare.

I mostly agree.  There are far too many unpredictable human variables.  The other guy could be a snorer, and that's the most benign scenario I can think of.  He might insist on falling asleep to blaring music.  Or he might be a jerk, plain and simple.  I can stand my ground if need be, but why put myself in that situation?

The only situation I'd be willing to share a cabin is on an organized group cruise, like a singles' or a themed cruise.  On those, people go with the same mindset, so they have a better chance of being compatible cabinmates.  Snoring (out the mouth or the opposite end) might still be an issue, though.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

Interesting thread. My DH earns less vacation days than I do... And was ready to book a solo 4 night. In the end a friend (newbie) wants to go. Problem solved. Might be fun seeing things through the eyes of a new cruiser. But I'm still intrigued by trying solo sometime.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:07 PM, Tiger0613 said:

Just like the fare, these are all costs I would incur to take a cruise.  The bus rides are transportation to the port.  Everybody pays for transportation whether it is a flight, train, bus, or gas in their car.  The cost to transport one person is cheaper than the cost to transport two people.  Food costs money whether it is food from home or at a restaurant.  People have to eat.  The cost of an excursion for one person is cheaper than the cost for two people.  That applies to anyone that goes on an excursion.

And yet, I have I pay to the same amount for a cruise cabin as two people do.  That's not fair!  The cabin should be less as well.

Edited by ChinaShrek
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

And yet, I have I pay to the same amount for a cruise cabin as two people do.  That's not fair!  The cabin should be less as well.

Hi

There are a number of cruise lines that charge less than 100% solo supplement. There is a lot of information on the "solo cruising" threads on this site. 

There was mention of rooming with strangers. That is also an option. There is a well known online site that organizes "singles" group bookings and will make an effort to pair people up. I have considered it but have not yet tried for some of the reasons ready mentioned. While you can as a solo cruiser opt to have a cabin to yourself, I have noticed that considering they are making these group booking, the savings aren't all passed on to you. So you wouldn't necessarily have a monetary benefit, you would be paying for the "organized" events. They are after organizing the trip as well as activities (that you may opt in or out). They do have representatives on board that are doing this. I would imagine that if there were any personal conflicts, they would help resolve issues. It does seem to be a viable option since it would appear that many people go on these cruises often.

16 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

There are a number of cruise lines that charge less than 100% solo supplement. There is a lot of information on the "solo cruising" threads on this site. 

And there’s a thread for that but I stopped following it years ago because those cruises just aren’t feasible for me. I just took a peek and it’s more of the same. The two most recent ones they’re talking about is a 15 day out of Miami... I can’t do 15 days out of anywhere. Then a short cruise from Quebec City of all places.... to Boston. If I have to buy a plane ticket to Quebec City to get a deal on a cruise, I’m better off just paying double.

Edited by Saint Greg

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

You do that for a hotel room also.

Yes and no.  In hotels, the listed price is per room per night, no matter how many people stay there.  So, you see the total price from the get-go, excluding taxes and resort fees.  On cruises, the listed price is "per person double occupancy".  So, you don't see the total price, until you mentally multiply the number by 2.  It also means the cruse lines ass-u-me that "normal" people travel together in pairs.  The difference is mostly psychological, but it doesn't mean that our gripes with cruise lines are invalid.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

Yes and no.  In hotels, the listed price is per room per night, no matter how many people stay there. 

That is not correct. Try to book a room and try different number of guests and the rate will change. 

1 hour ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

So, you see the total price from the get-go, excluding taxes and resort fees.  On cruises, the listed price is "per person double occupancy".  So, you don't see the total price, until you mentally multiply the number by 2.  It also means the cruse lines ass-u-me that "normal" people travel together in pairs.  The difference is mostly psychological, but it doesn't mean that our gripes with cruise lines are invalid.