Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
MarLieb

Land Tour or Snorkeling?

I need to pick one last excursion for our upcoming ABC cruise and I'm having a hard time deciding.  I have narrowed it down to either a snorkeling tour with Aruba Bob or a land tour which would include the major sites plus a swim at Eagle Beach.  My son, who will be 12 by then, has requested snorkeling, but we will also be snorkeling in Bonaire (with either Woodwind or on the Mushi Mushi) and, from what I've read, the snorkeling is not as good in Aruba.  

For reference, here are our other excursions:

St. Kitts-Nevis - Catamaran to Nevis for a beach day

Aruba - ?

Curacao - resort day

Bonaire - snorkeling

Any feedback or other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

The snorkeling is "ok" in Aruba.  I have done all of the sites.  Not a ton of color, but there can be lots of fish.  It depends on where he is taking you.  Would you be doing the sea scooters in Mangel Halto?  If so, that is about a 15-20min drive from the port (with traffic).  It's probably the best snorkeling on the island but there are currents there and it can get wavy so you want to make sure your 12 year old is ok for that. Some people would consider it to be a little more advanced in terms of traditional snorkeling.   Otherwise most snorkel tours take you to Catalina Cove or Malmok Beach.  These 2 spots are easy and both of these ones have lots of fish if you know where to find them but not a lot of color otherwise. 

I don't know a lot about the various land tours other than the fact that they don't always seem to stay in a location very long from what I saw.  Aruba is a small island but things tend to be a bit spread out.  I've seen some tours spend no more than 10 mins in a location.  Enough for a quick pic and you are on your way.  We have stayed on Eagle Beach and it is a beautiful beach.  Not crazy busy depending on where they take you.  Nice sand and clear water.  There are some amenities as well.

1 hour ago, fscool said:

The snorkeling is "ok" in Aruba.  I have done all of the sites.  Not a ton of color, but there can be lots of fish.  It depends on where he is taking you.  Would you be doing the sea scooters in Mangel Halto?  If so, that is about a 15-20min drive from the port (with traffic).  It's probably the best snorkeling on the island but there are currents there and it can get wavy so you want to make sure your 12 year old is ok for that. Some people would consider it to be a little more advanced in terms of traditional snorkeling.   Otherwise most snorkel tours take you to Catalina Cove or Malmok Beach.  These 2 spots are easy and both of these ones have lots of fish if you know where to find them but not a lot of color otherwise. 

I don't know a lot about the various land tours other than the fact that they don't always seem to stay in a location very long from what I saw.  Aruba is a small island but things tend to be a bit spread out.  I've seen some tours spend no more than 10 mins in a location.  Enough for a quick pic and you are on your way.  We have stayed on Eagle Beach and it is a beautiful beach.  Not crazy busy depending on where they take you.  Nice sand and clear water.  There are some amenities as well.

Thank you so much for your reply!  Yes, it would be the sea scooters in Mangel Halto.  My son would probably be ok with the waves, but my husband may not.  Thank you so much for bringing this up.

The land tour may be the better option given your description of Mangel Halto, although my son may not be thrilled with sitting in a jeep for very long.  The only other option I could think of was a day pass to RIU Palace or perhaps booking a room at the Marriott so we could use their facilities, but it would be on Christmas Eve and I'm afraid these resorts will be quite crowded.

Hmm - decisions!

2 hours ago, MarLieb said:

Thank you so much for your reply!  Yes, it would be the sea scooters in Mangel Halto.  My son would probably be ok with the waves, but my husband may not.  Thank you so much for bringing this up.

The land tour may be the better option given your description of Mangel Halto, although my son may not be thrilled with sitting in a jeep for very long.  The only other option I could think of was a day pass to RIU Palace or perhaps booking a room at the Marriott so we could use their facilities, but it would be on Christmas Eve and I'm afraid these resorts will be quite crowded.

Hmm - decisions!

Your son would probably love Trikes Aruba. They will take you around a shorter tour of the island than the all day jeep tours. There's room for 3 people on them. You can see their size on their website.  They are a blast.

Aruba Bob is supposed to be awesome,  but we've never done it because the current is strong in that area. If you are looking for a boat snorkel tour, check out Jolly Pirates.  Your son would probably love it. 

Both of these tours are just a few hours. You could go to the beach in the afternoon.  The beaches are crowded all winter. That is peak season, but you can probably find a vendor with chairs and umbrellas to rent. 

5 hours ago, MarLieb said:

I need to pick one last excursion for our upcoming ABC cruise and I'm having a hard time deciding.  I have narrowed it down to either a snorkeling tour with Aruba Bob or a land tour which would include the major sites plus a swim at Eagle Beach.  My son, who will be 12 by then, has requested snorkeling, but we will also be snorkeling in Bonaire (with either Woodwind or on the Mushi Mushi) and, from what I've read, the snorkeling is not as good in Aruba.  

For reference, here are our other excursions:

St. Kitts-Nevis - Catamaran to Nevis for a beach day

Aruba - ?

Curacao - resort day

Bonaire - snorkeling

Any feedback or other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Maybe use a resort day in Aruba if you are not 100% set on a resort day in Curacao and think about doing a tour with Irie tours.  We did the island/beach hopping tour and it was a good tour that included stops at various beaches as well as a chance to snorkel with turtles.  Your son may really like that since you mention he requested snorkelling.  Would recommend Woodwind in Bonaire.

Edited by trophy_23

There are a number of snorkel excursions that are all about the same.  Jolly Pirates is a party boat but it looked like everyone was having fun.  They usually go to 2 spots and then they have loong ropes where you can swing out into the water. 

We always did our own excursions but one that wasn't too bad was be DePalm tours.  They pick you up in a coach bus and run you up to the pier and you take a catamaran out to the Antilles wreck followed by going to Catalina Cove.  It was about 3 hours I think.  45mins at each stop.  I did it only because my son (15) is a WW2 history nut and loves to snorkel and wanted to see the wreck.  It was wavy but definitely manageable for everyone.  You get sandwiches, a variety of drinks, etc.  I was actually impressed that they stayed at each spot a decent amount of time.  Saw sea turtles, eels, barracuda and some other things.   

I suspect that the bus would pick you up at the cruise pier.  It seemed quite well run.  

Just a thought....

Thank you so much, everyone!  I'm going to research all of these ideas - there is so much to do there!!!