Cruise Critic Community
camilla21

Anyone been on MS Marco Polo?

We are thinking of doing the Grand Africa & Indian Ocean Voyage on the MS Marco Polo on 6th January 2020 for 78 nights.  We are unable to find any trace of the Marco Polo on this site and it is not mentioned in any of the roll calls.  

Please, is there anyone who has done a longer trip on this ship?  If so, please tell us your thoughts on the ship.

Many thanks.

I will be Following your thread, Camilla, as I am also thinking about a cruise on this ship.  My grandparents sailed on it about 40 years ago, when it was named the Alexander Pushkin.

I have only been on the Marco Polo once a number of years ago.  A very old, basic ship with little or no stabilisers.  I would not voluntarily choose to do a long cruise on this ship.

I haven't done a long cruise on Marco Polo but as replies seem a bit sparse at the moment thought I would respond.  I did a 10-night cruise to Iceland aboard her in May last year.  As you probably already know, she is a small ship by today's standards and this does limit the options on board.  For eating, there is only the main dining room, an Indian Restaurant Room off of this and the buffet.  The food served was all tasty enough and hot but does not compare with the food available on larger, more modern ships.

She has had regular refurbishments and for a ship originally built in 1965 is in very good condition throughout.  Some of the floors are a little uneven and you definitely feel the rake of the ship in certain areas. Most cabins are fairly basic but comfortable.  On our cruise, entertainment consisted of a Classical duo in the Captain's Club pre-dinner each night, a show in the Marco Polo Show Lounge and late night cabaret in Scott's Bar.  All entertainment was to quite an acceptable standard bearing in mind the size of the ship.  During the day there was a decent programme of lectures.

There is plenty of outside space, including a nice Promenade Deck but relatively few sun-loungers if you enjoy lying in the sun.  Plenty of al-fresco tables & chairs though.  Due to the itinerary we did not use the pools or loungers.

CMV provide a very traditional cruise experience in comfortable, pleasant but not luxurious surroundings and are popular with a mature crowd.  We found almost all of the staff to be friendly, efficient and courteous.

I would very happily sail on Marco Polo again - but then I love older, smaller, traditional ships.  I'm not sure if I would choose a 78-night itinerary but would maybe happily spend 28 nights on her.

If you have any specific questions, please do ask.

We’re booked for this cruise! First time on Marco Polo and first time with CMV. Can hardly wait. Just made final payment today and plan on filling the big hole in our finances with excitement for the adventures ahead. 

Such a great itinerary and a smaller ship, we’re convinced we’ll have a great time. 

There is a roll call under Other Cruise Lines (something like that) but not very active and we’re not allowed to mention any other web sites.

I love the Marco Polo and can't wait for Christmas when we are back on board again. However, much as I love her I couldn't do 75 nights in such a small space, with no proper facilities for doing washing, but each to their own and I really wish you an amazing trip.

@camilla21 - I have to agree with @Britboys. We really enjoyed a 21 day cruise to Greenland a couple years ago and would gladly sail on Marco Polo again....perhaps not on a 78 day cruise,though. 

I think it would have to be a port- intensive trip if it was more than a week ? The Marco Polo is older and smaller, so perfect to go to out of the way places. But due to size (and possibly majority of regular clientele) the onboard activity is rather sedate. This was wearing a little thin due to repetitiveness of the afternoons towards the end of our 21 days when we had a few consecutive sea days. The evening programs remained varied but afternoons were long - all my books were read (I’m fast) and I was running our of reading material for the long afternoons of lounging. I don’t play bridge and the trivia games were geared towards British pop culture (understandably), which had little context in my American brain.