What side of ship for northbound cruise

Ricks

Just wondering what is the best side of the ship to be on with a Northbound cruise from Vancouver to Seward? (Inland water ways)

Port or starboard, or does it really matter. At present we have a Port side room, just need to know if we should switch to other side of ship.

Its our first time to Alaska and just want to make the best of it. Also we have never changed rooms before, is it a difficult thing to do and what do they end up charging for swapping rooms.

We are on the  radiance of the sea’s.

Thanks for any info

6 hours ago, ParrotRob said:

Get an aft-facing balcony, you can see both sides.

Be prepared to grab one early since they go fast and have your wallet handy. My limited experience says get the starboard for the sail. If you are close enough to see land, which you will only be sometimes, it will mostly be on the starboard side northbound. During our time cruising the inside passage, it was dark so did not matter. The image is looking portside (east) while sailing south of Hubbard Glacier. In ports, its a crap shoot because you will never know how the crew/captain might align the ship at the dock. Most of the time on our starboard balcony, (we were on the southbound cruise), we only saw the dock. Not the water so we could relax and watch for wildlife. After we got back, I found that for our cruise (southbound), port side balconies were ~$600 more.

May-25th-9pm-starboard-side.jpg

Edited by masterdrago
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, masterdrago said:

Be prepared to grab one early since they go fast and have your wallet handy. My limited experience says get the starboard for the sail. If you are close enough to see land, which you will only be sometimes, it will mostly be on the starboard side northbound. During our time cruising the inside passage, it was dark so did not matter. The image is looking portside (east) while sailing south of Hubbard Glacier. In ports, its a crap shoot because you will never know how the crew/captain might align the ship at the dock. Most of the time on our starboard balcony, (we were on the southbound cruise), we only saw the dock. Not the water so we could relax and watch for wildlife. After we got back, I found that for our cruise (southbound), port side balconies were ~$600 more.

May-25th-9pm-starboard-side.jpg

They are running about $300 more right now, worse part is the cruise went up $300 more than when we booked so it’s $600 more and what ever fee they charge for changing room, never mind if they take obc away. 

8 hours ago, Ricks said:

They are running about $300 more right now, worse part is the cruise went up $300 more than when we booked so it’s $600 more and what ever fee they charge for changing room, never mind if they take obc away. 

Honestly it is not worth switching.

I have done multiple b2b cruises in the same cabin (so NB and SB) and not noticed a difference. There is plenty of scenery on either side.

I am on deck most of the time to get all the views from all the directions as opposed to staying in my cabin.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Coral said:

Honestly it is not worth switching.

I have done multiple b2b cruises in the same cabin (so NB and SB) and not noticed a difference. There is plenty of scenery on either side.

I am on deck most of the time to get all the views from all the directions as opposed to staying in my cabin.

Totally agree. Appreciate your wise advice.