Handy tip for your Comment card Vacation Heros

Shellbelle28

I really like submitting the names of ship's crew who do a great job and make my trip better to be sure they get credit for their excellence. But NCL's "Freestyle" means you don't always have the same person serving, and I have a terrible time remembering names. So I started taking a photo of those I had good encounters with, making sure their name tag is in the shot. When it comes time to fill out cards, just scroll through the camera gallery! They have also ended up being some of my favorite vacation photos! 

20180922_010908.jpg

20180922_012747.jpg

20180922_023018.jpg

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Love this idea. I have to admit we are a bit lazy when it comes to that extra "thank you" in the form of the Vacation Hero cards. Now with a good idea and maybe a better reminder of names we will try harder to show our appreciation more. 

Sometimes the person was a little surprised by my request to take a photo, but as soon as I said "and make sure your name shows so I can remember it" the smiles bloomed. I think those comment cards matter quite a lot to them. 

• Like 4

I always spend my last sea day writing cards on my balcony or by the pool. They do mean a lot to the crew. The Department heads read all of them and each card becomes a raffle ticket for certain prizes from iPads to a coveted day off!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

I always spend my last sea day writing cards on my balcony or by the pool. They do mean a lot to the crew. The Department heads read all of them and each card becomes a raffle ticket for certain prizes from iPads to a coveted day off!

Yes, we also spend our last day filling out "Vacation Hero" cards in the sunshine (get them on the Atrium desk). We have been told by so many Crew members that this is critical to them for recognition, prizes, extra days off, promotions, pay grades, etc. Make sure that you recognize these very hard working people with this and we are also "Tippers" why not light up someones day for going above and beyond for service? The photo is a great idea and we will follow suit from now on, then we don't have to keep our note pad with us. Happy Cruising 😊

• Like 2

Great topic.

I regularly fill out the vacation hero cards and am happy to learn that there may be financial and time off benefits for these hard working people.

It seems as if most of the staff is wearing a "Vacation Hero" pin.  That's great as I'm assuming they are earned. 

Also worth noting that at the behind the scenes ship tour (on the Joy), I saw several of them posted on bulletin boards of various departments.

Keep writing them!!

• Like 1

Its always fun to find the staff who are mostly over looked and get their name.  

The guy who gets your luggage to your cabin on time

The guy I saw in the spa mop the floor non stop catching every overflow from the pools.  He worked so hard with the mop for hours.

The hostess who smiled and got you a table

The waiter who took your complex order without fail

The laundry staff who took all of your random clothes and got them all back to you clean and folded

The Haven bartender and most perky bartenders get these all the time.

• Like 3

Great thread.   Going on our 5th ncl cruise next week .  We tip bartenders and others but never did these cards.  I will look for them for sure and I like the idea of bragging on the ones usually taken for granted. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ejnsb said:

Great thread.   Going on our 5th ncl cruise next week .  We tip bartenders and others but never did these cards.  I will look for them for sure and I like the idea of bragging on the ones usually taken for granted. 

They will leave a card for you in your cabin.  But you can go to guest services and request a stack.

1 minute ago, ray98 said:

I usually just give them $5 for the name tag....lol.

A nice young man on our last cruise was wearing a crew name tag he found on a previous cruise.  You would have thought he shot a crew member the crap they put him thru.  1st day of cruise with open bar and he was banned from drinking balance of cruise.

Excellent idea

In this digital age taking a 2nd photo is cheap - - -

If your camera has a Macro Zoom function use it taking a close up photo of the name tag.

Most cell phone cameras can do this automatically.

Be careful of flash back wash out on a mirrored name plate.

If doing a history of time and place with a camera memory card view the photo

and click on properties for a date time stamp to refresh your memory of the event.