Trying to avoid "partyers"

bud88

Hi all, I've been looking through the forums so I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time. We're novice cruisers, only 3 times, and all on Carnival for week long cruises. Mostly because of price, and we live in the Los Angeles area so we don't have to fly to get to the ship. We've had a good time, but the amount of drunk people was disappointing. I've read a lot of reviews stating RCCL, NCL, and CCL are very much alike.

So my question is this; What lines should we look at to get a better "class" of people (now I hate using class, but I couldn't think of a better description) where drinks aren't being dropped into the pool, no throwing up (we hadn't even left the port), stumbling drunks, and people almost getting into fights.

We do enjoy the comedy shows and being active, but also like our quiet time to relax.

Thanks to everyone with your vast experience and advice.

• Like 1

I have only seen 1 drunk person on a ship. I don't remember, but it was either Royal or Celebrity. He was so drunk he was stumbling around before we even left port. Needless to say that was the end of his cruise. Royal is fine on the smaller ships as far as I know. I don't hang around the pools so maybe I'm not seeing more drunks. My only experience cruising is on Royal and Celebrity. I have heard Carnival is the worst.

We've sailed on Carnival, RCL, HAL and Celebrity and I'd rank them (for party-atmosphere), high to low, as follows:

Carnival

RCL

Celebrity

HAL

Carnival and RCL are big on pool games (think belly-flop contest, hairy chest contest, etc) and lots of drinking/partying.  

While on Celebrity, there was more upscale party groups (the Martini Bar was always hopping) and the pool game we actually enjoyed watching was the crew vs. guest volleyball game.

HAL is the more sedate yet I wouldn't characterize it as many people do - for 'old' people.  We did a pub crawl with the beverage manager on Zuiderdam that was great fun...imagine a group of 50 playing flip-cup on the pool deck!  There were 'kids' in their 20's teaching us how to play, and it was a blast.  

The longer the cruise the better behaved the passengers in my experience.  The least amount of over-imbibing I've witnessed was a HAL re-positioning cruise from Europe to North America.  I've seen drunk people on Princess but never saw anyone obnoxious or out of line.  Meanwhile, a short Carnival Caribbean cruise a few years ago was a floating piss-up for heavily-tatted trailer trash whose main activities were drinking and fighting.  I won't sail Carnival if you paid me. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 1

I don't drink, and I don't relax near the main pool area where the party people congregate, so I rarely run into staggering or stuttering drunks.  Same with the excursions I choose, they are not ones that heavy drinkers might enjoy.

Perhaps in the elevator or sometimes in wait line for the MDR, but that's just a minor encounter and I'm quick to move on and away.  Happened maybe 3 or 4 times in over 50+ week long cruises?

Even at late night comedy shows or music venues, I've been fortunate enough that I don't meet heavily incapacitated persons.

Oh my!  We have cruised on Celebrity (Elite Plus), HAL (5 Star) and Princess (Elite) plus more than a dozen other lines .   The partying on Princess does exist and even when it should be quiet they often pipe-in loud music (especially on deck).  On our recent Caribbean Princess cruise (just back last week) there were times when the music volume on deck was so loud I nearly went to my cabin for some peace and quiet (and ear plugs).  Celebrity has more then its share of drunk partyers partially the result of a very forward marketing program to encourage cruisers to get drink packages with unlimited alcohol!

We do agree that a longer HAL itinerary will guarantee the lack of partyers although the trade-off is you might think you are cruising inside a morgue after 9:30 pm.  We think that Seabourn or Crystal are pretty good lines for those who want to avoid the partyers.  The reality is that if the OP goes on the expensive upscale lines they will find what they seek.  HAL is the cheaper alternative.

Hank

11 hours ago, bud88 said:

Hi all, I've been looking through the forums so I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time. We're novice cruisers, only 3 times, and all on Carnival for week long cruises. Mostly because of price, and we live in the Los Angeles area so we don't have to fly to get to the ship. We've had a good time, but the amount of drunk people was disappointing. I've read a lot of reviews stating RCCL, NCL, and CCL are very much alike.

So my question is this; What lines should we look at to get a better "class" of people (now I hate using class, but I couldn't think of a better description) where drinks aren't being dropped into the pool, no throwing up (we hadn't even left the port), stumbling drunks, and people almost getting into fights.

We do enjoy the comedy shows and being active, but also like our quiet time to relax.

If you want to avoid drunks then I would suggest the following:

1.  Avoid short, cheap cruises

2.  Avoid College Breaks

Having sailed Carnival and NCL many times, as well as Princess and Disney, I have never run across drinks being dropped in the pool, stumbling drunks, or people getting into fights on any of our cruises...but then I have never been on a short, cheap cruise out of LA.

• Like 2

The sort of cruises you take also play a factor.  3 or 4 day cruises usually attract partyers and they're determined to have a good time in that short space.  I don't like "judging" which cruise lines people choose or their reasons for it, but I have to admit the only time I have seen real "partying" was on a Carnival ship.  Like others have said - RCCL, Norwegian, Princess, Celebrity and HAL would all be good - but you have to factor in other things too.  Like age.  If you're young to early middle-age HAL might be too sedate for you.  RCCL and Norwegian are good ships for families (as well as couples).  Cost too is also a factor.  I hope you find the right cruise for you.

• Like 1

@bud88 There are no definitive rules. You have three big options which may relieve some of what you are looking to avoid:

1) Do not book "super discounted" trips

2) Book a "premium" line

3) Search for charters and avoid ones that may offend you

I have heard horror stories of partial charters on 10+ day cruises or family reunions on 7 day. Unfortunately, the best laid plans can often turn "ugly". We each only have control over ourselves. Other than the suggestions offered above, getting on a vessel with 2+ thousand other people is always a gamble.

• Like 2

I would suggest absolutely avoiding short itineraries (less than a week) especially on NCL and Carnival - and to a lesser extent Royal Caribbean.

Itineraries of more than a week on Celebrity, Princess, HAL (kind of sleepy, but perhaps the calmest), and Cunard (rather formal) would provide more sedate experiences.

The higher end lines Aramara, Seabourn, Oceania do not appeal to the drink-til-you-drop partiers, but might have an occasional inebriate.

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

@bud88 There are no definitive rules. You have three big options which may relieve some of what you are looking to avoid:

1) Do not book "super discounted" trips

2) Book a "premium" line

3) Search for charters and avoid ones that may offend you

I have heard horror stories of partial charters on 10+ day cruises or family reunions on 7 day. Unfortunately, the best laid plans can often turn "ugly". We each only have control over ourselves. Other than the suggestions offered above, getting on a vessel with 2+ thousand other people is always a gamble.

Your #3 is an awfully good idea.  But how do you search for them please?

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@clo to be on the safe side I'll google something like "navigator of the seas" "september" "20" "2019" "cruise"

Or "royal caribbean" "navigator" "september" "2019" and variations just to see about partial charters as well. 

I'm a 72 y.o. self-described info junkie and truly don't know how I lived before google!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, bud88 said:

The line doesn't matter. I have seen worse drunks, and worse behavior the on luxury lines than I have on Carnival. Timing and cruise length is more important that cruise line.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The line doesn't matter. I have seen worse drunks, and worse behavior the on luxury lines than I have on Carnival. Timing and cruise length is more important that cruise line.

What line was that  so I can avoid it ??