Trying to avoid "partyers"

bud88

We have sailed only on RCI. But the shortest cruise has been 8 nights (8, 9, and 12 night).

I have never seen anyone that drunk.  Even poolside.  Yes, they have some crazy pool/poolside games, but still, never saw any serious drunks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SRF said:

We have sailed only on RCI. But the shortest cruise has been 8 nights (8, 9, and 12 night).

I have never seen anyone that drunk.  Even poolside.  Yes, they have some crazy pool/poolside games, but still, never saw any serious drunks.

We have seen a few "falling down drunk" passengers on past Celebrity cruises.  There always seem to be a handful of folks who make it their quest to take advantage of the drink packages.  The last time we cruised on the Silhouette I remember two young men (probably in their late 20s) who would sit at the high tables in the Lido and would be putting away Bloody Marys by 9am.  These two were always polluted, but did not cause any problems with other folks.  They simply hung with each other and would be at bars day and night.  The reason I remember them is that one evening (before dinner) I sat next to them at the Martini bar and witnessed one actually fall off his bar stool (which got a good laugh from many in the area).

Hank

10 hours ago, SRF said:

Interestingly enough I was thinking this same thing.  I read many posts about all the drunk people on cruises, especially when someone complains about a child misbehaving (then you hear "I would rather see a child playing than see a drunk in the pool" type of thing).  I cannot think of a time that I have seen anyone drunk and falling down or doing anything belligerent.  The poolside games are rowdy but that doesn't mean that the people participating are drunk.  Maybe we just have not been on the right cruises 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarrenM said:

Ah thankyou. Next question. Why?

The term comes from the days of sailing ships when the place for the crew to relieve themselves was all the way forward on either side of the bowsprit, the integral part of the hull to which the figurehead was fastened.

From a Navy terminology website, but it applies to all types of ships.

https://www.navy.mil/navydata/traditions/html/navyterm.html

Edited by MandyMooToo

The rowdiest drunkest Cruise I went on, complete with puke in the hallways, was the 7 day Pride of Hawaii (ncla) cruise around the Hawaii islands, which was neither short nor cheap. 

Meanwhile, Carnival 7 day out of New Orleans has been downright respectable.

Edited by spleenstomper

Consider Windstar.  The typical cruiser is active, 40-70 years old, well traveled, with varying interests.  My experience is that the interests range from collecting rare fine wines to bowling to hiking to art to yoga to history and anything in between.  

They aren't as pricey as some of the other upscale lines and are all small ships--under 350 guests.  They have no formal nights, and during two weeks on them I saw one woman who needed a couple of aspirin and a bed.  People are friendly and social, but you won't find loud pool music, belly flop contests, or beer chugalugs.  It might be just what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Once again, thank you all!!!

My wife would be in heaven if she could still play tennis every day on the ship, and I love to hike and be outdoors. We do love to talk to everyone we encounter and hear the stories of their travels. We have found a lot of great folks on each cruise and hope to be able to share more of our stories to others as time goes by.

We're looking at a couple ships/lines and will book soon enough. Time is the problem, we find we can do one cruise every 18 months or so. We want to try a bunch, but I've already got 2 multi day backpacking trips planned for next year already (18 days on the John Muir Trail for one!). We want to fit in a safari too. Wish we could have afforded to do more of this sooner in life, but very thankful we can now.

We're looking at the "expedition" cruises as well, since we love the outdoors so much.

You guys are great and I hope we meet some of you all on a trip sometime, Thank you, thank you!!

• Like 1