Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
beloum

Lectures onboard

I was on the Equinox a couple of years ago and there was a lady who was a retired college professor who presented a historical lecture each day.  I thoroughly enjoyed each one of them--my wife, not so much.    Topics ranged from Caribbean history, pirates, one about New Orleans, etc.    We are booked for another cruise on Equinox coming up and was wondering/hoping, they still provide this type of event.   

Often but not always.  They commonly have speakers on the transatlantic And transpacific sailings and other longer itineraries, seldom on the short 4- and 5- night cruises.

Last September on the 10 night ABC cruise they had Rusty Farst,  a professional diver.   I think he did 5 or 6 lectures.

Last February on our 7 day they had a few different lectures,  but I can't remember who they were.

One of the things I like about Celebrity is their lecture series.  On the Arabian Sea & India Holiday cruise last year, there were two guest lecturers.  One was an expert on royal families and was an excellent story teller.  The second was a professor who spoke about forensics science who was not good at all and made a very interesting topic boring. 

12 hours ago, beloum said:

I as on the Equinox a couple of years ago and there was a lady who was a retired college professor who presented a historical lecture each day.  I thoroughly enjoyed each one of them--my wife, not so much.    Topics ranged from Caribbean history, pirates, one about New Orleans, etc.    We are booked for another cruise on Equinox coming up and was wondering/hoping, they still provide this type of event.   

We have not had a guest speaker for many years on our 7 day cruises.  We really miss that aspect of cruising.   When we started cruising, there were two guest speakers onboard for our 7 days cruises.  No more.  So don't expect one on  a 7 day or less.

I get them all the time from my wife about drinking too much.  And I tell her that the only reason I drink is because she keeps nagging me about it.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

2 hours ago, miched said:

I get them all the time from my wife about drinking too much.  And I tell her that the only reason I drink is because she keeps nagging me about it.

😉😂😂

We had a retired pastry chef on our Alaska cruise two weeks ago. She held lectures about food mostly. We went to her first one, which was titled something like Alaskan Food: Not Just Salmon. 

She proceeded to tell us about the five different types of salmon and then went off on a tangent and spoke about the gold rush.

I think I actually fell asleep and my DW, who usually loves things like this, did the same. 

Save to say we didn't go to any others!