Must of packed all their clothing away in prep for leaving

the ship the next day.

Sort of like the couple that packed all their clothing away

set the suitcases outside the cabin and had nothing to

wear getting off the ship - grab the shower curtains a

couple of towels and tally-ho !  LOL !

Do you mean "must HAVE packed"?

11 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

Are we seriously having a discussion now about being "too formal"? FTLOG! Just do you. As long as everyone is following the bare minimum, eat your food and enjoy. If I want to wear a floor length ball gown and heels every night to dinner, so be it. At least I'm not showing my underpants, with a hat on backwards and my butt hanging out.

Good luck enforcing "manners". Time and again here on CC I've been scolded for my opinion on "manners" and etiquette.

Be careful talking about people wearing their hats backwards. You might get called elitist. 

Seriously.

I hate wearing long pants on a Caribbean cruise, but I bite the bullet in the designated specialty restaurants. A few weeks ago on the Breakaway we were in Ocean Blue (one of the long pants designated restaurants) when I noticed a gentleman at the next table wearing shorts. I also noticed their Haven key card. I guess if you’re a Haven patron you are not subject to dress code enforcement. 

On 9/9/2019 at 3:06 PM, patar said:

It was the last night of the cruise

I wonder if, when they packed up their suitcase to be taken away, they forgot to leave out clothes for the evening and next morning 🤣

On 9/9/2019 at 11:49 AM, Peachypooh said:

I am probably in the minority but here is my take on the dress codes.

It is totally fair for people to be able to dress the way they want to

on vacation. I just think that mixing people with long gowns in the

restaurants  with those in shorts and flip flops looks kind of out of place.

NCL does make an attempt to pick LeBistro and one of the main

dining rooms to have a little bit more of a dress code although

I don't think from what I have seen it is enforced all the time.

I am thinking of the last time we are in Teppanyaki and the woman

next to me was wearing a ball gown worthy of the Miss America  pagent.

Her companion was in a tuxedo. Everyone else was wearing 

typical shorts, tee shirt, or sometimes a sundress. They were not entertainers

or VIPs. Just people who wanted to go all out getting dressed up.

I do concede that if NCL designated one or two restaurants for getting all

dressed up each night they would probably be almost empty. LOL To be fair I am not offended or

worried about those in fancy attire. What  I do get kind of upset having to

eat across from someone with no table manners (like using a steak knife

as a toothpick).  Anyone else have any thoughts?

Well peachy your last comment really made my morning: maybe they should put toothpicks on all our tables or maybe watching someone use their steak knife as one is worth it to watch: I love people watching!! Now that I have finished laughing I will comment on your post: I doubt you are alone in your opinion or maybe it is just those of us in the south, but you are right. If someone wants to dress to the top, it is ok, but I would be more inclined to think they would feel out of place. Not like the olden days of cruising, today's world is more casual  for better or worse. Just look at  how people dress for church now days? I am amazed that someone would want to stand out like a sore thumb and that is either over or under dressed. 

On 9/9/2019 at 12:44 PM, graphicguy said:

If a formal dress code is important to you, NCL, ROYAL, CCL, etc probably aren’t for you.  Cunard is more likely to fit your wants and desires better.

If you are referring to the OP and formal dress I think you may have missed her point: if you are referring in general to cruisers I agree with you. Either save the money to go on the premium lines, or accept the dress codes on the more casual lines and stick with that. For us, it is simply a matter of comfort and not lugging so much stuff just for  a few dinners. hubby is getting more casual as the years go by. He does love to go to Le Bistro, not only does he like the food but loves the idea of one night dressing up: now his dress up night consists of long pants and either a polo shirt or a basic sport shirt. 

DON't-Use_Real_Name;; that comment. living in the south made me really smile. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

If you are referring to the OP and formal dress I think you may have missed her point: if you are referring in general to cruisers I agree with you. Either save the money to go on the premium lines, or accept the dress codes on the more casual lines and stick with that. For us, it is simply a matter of comfort and not lugging so much stuff just for  a few dinners. hubby is getting more casual as the years go by. He does love to go to Le Bistro, not only does he like the food but loves the idea of one night dressing up: now his dress up night consists of long pants and either a polo shirt or a basic sport shirt. 

And your last line made me smile.

Your husband sounds like me.

I've spent most of my adult life dressing in a suit and tie every day for work and while I'm not uncomfortable with it, I do now prefer to dress down on vacation. We've done many of the cruises over the years with formal and semi formal nights and have many of those pictures scattered around my house, but we've come to realize that a nice picture doesn't necessarily have to include fancy attire. A great smile with loved ones is all you need.

In fact, on my last 2 cruises (Anthem & Escape), I didn't even bring any pants. Packing was light and easy.

Every night I wore nice shorts with a nice short sleeve button down with Vans or Sperry's.

I was always very comfortable and actually felt like it looked pretty good too. Lol!

Anyway, cruising Encore in January, and if I can talk my wifes aunt and uncle into not dining at Le Bistro, It'll be strictly another shorts only vacation.

The cruise lines are going to cater to the next generation cruiser that will sustain their business for the decades to come. The current cruise customer base is already hooked/committed (me included) and won’t be going anywhere. 

The majority of the  millennials, the future customer base, are not interested in formal/fancy dress. Water slides, virtual reality rooms, laser tag, and go karts are all attractions and revenue generators for the next generation cruiser. 

So those of us who have been on ships since the days of hard wooden loungers that were rented from the pool attendant, need to adapt to changing times or become extinct like the dinosaurs. 

We we are happy not to have to carry an additional case with dresses, shoes and tuxes. Did that for many years. And we’re done with that. 

• Like 2

We have done the whole Formal Night on Royal mainly for some good family photos. However, on our last cruise (Alaska) we chose not to.  It was less stuff to pack and we just went smart casual.  That being said, it don't bother me as to what other people wear to dinner (the food will taste the same regardless).  Sometimes you just have to pick and choose your battles and personally, that is one that isn't worth me burning brain cells over.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise lines are going to cater to the next generation cruiser that will sustain their business for the decades to come. The current cruise customer base is already hooked/committed (me included) and won’t be going anywhere. 

The majority of the  millennials, the future customer base, are not interested in formal/fancy dress. Water slides, virtual reality rooms, laser tag, and go karts are all attractions and revenue generators for the next generation cruiser. 

So those of us who have been on ships since the days of hard wooden loungers that were rented from the pool attendant, need to adapt to changing times or become extinct like the dinosaurs. 

We we are happy not to have to carry an additional case with dresses, shoes and tuxes. Did that for many years. And we’re done with that. 

so true and that is life. It has been happening for generations and will continue. We were talking about this yesterday. By we, I am referring to hubby and me: he is upset because so many jogging cloths do not have flies. He calls the manufacturers. AHs, I tell him it is just fine with the younger crowd. And so it goes!!!!!