Cruise Critic Community

Has anyone done the chef's table with someone who doesn't drink alcohol? Is it still worth the price?

Also, when doing a b2b in different cabins, how are your belongings moved?

It would not be worth the price to us without the wine pairings.

Stateroom attendants will move your belongings.  Pack up everyting that is not on hangers, and they will move your bags and hanging items.

1. We've done Chef's Table lots of times but always with alcohol. However, I'm pretty sure (having read so on here) that they will adjust the price for those who don't drink alcohol.

2. Leave your clothes hanging in the wardrobe and they will be moved for you. Pack up the rest of your belonging into cases and the cases will also be moved. We've found the easiest thing is to take plenty of carrier bags and transfer each drawer/shelf contents into a carrier and place them in your case  then empty them into the respective drawer/shelf when you get to your new cabin.

Also introduce yourself to the steward looking after your second cabin whilst you're on the first cruise and explain what is happening. They will generally try to help by making the cabin ready as soon as possible as long as the people vacating it are departing early. On a B2B you can bypass the doors which are closed until cabins open at 1pm, so can access your new cabin earlier if you wish. If any of the crew say 'sorry cabins not ready yet' just explain you are on a back to back

8 minutes ago, GMfitter said:

Has anyone done the chef's table with someone who doesn't drink alcohol? Is it still worth the price?

Also, when doing a b2b in different cabins, how are your belongings moved?

When moving between cabins, the steward will move everything. All you need to pack up is anything not on hangers. We just toss everything else into a suitcase and go to breakfast. They do everything else.

5 minutes ago, Bobal said:

1. We've done Chef's Table lots of times but always with alcohol. However, I'm pretty sure (having read so on here) that they will adjust the price for those who don't drink alcohol.

2. Leave your clothes hanging in the wardrobe and they will be moved for you. Pack up the rest of your belonging into cases and the cases will also be moved. We've found the easiest thing is to take plenty of carrier bags and transfer each drawer/shelf contents into a carrier and place them in your case  then empty them into the respective drawer/shelf when you get to your new cabin.

Also introduce yourself to the steward looking after your second cabin whilst you're on the first cruise and explain what is happening. They will generally try to help by making the cabin ready as soon as possible as long as the people vacating it are departing early. On a B2B you can bypass the doors which are closed until cabins open at 1pm, so can access your new cabin earlier if you wish. If any of the crew say 'sorry cabins not ready yet' just explain you are on a back to back

Thanks so much. This is the first time I have heard of bypassing the doors early.

3 minutes ago, GMfitter said:

Thanks so much. This is the first time I have heard of bypassing the doors early.

We've done this several times. In fact we're just home from a B2B, went back to the cabin for something mid-morning and one of the crew did say sorry cabins are not available yet and when I said we were on a B2B he had no problem. We were in the same cabin so our steward (and those around) would have recognised us anyway which is another reason why it's worth making yourselves known to the steward on the second leg.

2 minutes ago, Bobal said:

We've done this several times. In fact we're just home from a B2B, went back to the cabin for something mid-morning and one of the crew did say sorry cabins are not available yet and when I said we were on a B2B he had no problem. We were in the same cabin so our steward (and those around) would have recognised us anyway which is another reason why it's worth making yourselves known to the steward on the second leg.

Thanks

On some ships when changing cabins between B2B they ask you not to enter until the normal cabin available time.  

The reasoning is that they have to clean the room normally as they do between guests.  When you stay in the same cabin they don't do a thorough deep sanitization.  

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

On some ships when changing cabins between B2B they ask you not to enter until the normal cabin available time.  

The reasoning is that they have to clean the room normally as they do between guests.  When you stay in the same cabin they don't do a thorough deep sanitization.  

We do lots of B2B each year and often switch cabins and NEVER  have been asked not to enter the new cabin until the normal time. More often, as long as the  previous occupants vacate the room timely, the room is cleaned early. 

Sometimes we’ve been in the new cabin even before the meet up at 9:30, and other times we’ve gotten to the new cabin immediately upon reentering the ship.  We only have one issue of  an OCD type  cabin attendant who only cleaned  the rooms in the numerical order and our cabin was last on his list. 

Some ships give us an “in transit”  card so that we can enter the hallways and our cabin without issue. 

We’ve been doing back to back‘s for at least 10 years, and I’ve never heard of this restriction. Our most recent back to back when we had to switch was this past June, and we had no problem  getting to our new cabin well before the normal cabin opening time.

As a heads up, can you let me know what ships hold this restriction?    I would need to know so that I can have certain things with me  ( such as bathing suit or sunscreen) until  the cabin opened. 

Thanks. 

M

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We do lots of B2B each year and often switch cabins and NEVER  have been asked not to enter the new cabin until the normal time. More often, as long as the  previous occupants vacate the room timely, the room is cleaned early. 

Sometimes we’ve been in the new cabin even before the meet up at 9:30, and other times we’ve gotten to the new cabin immediately upon reentering the ship.  We only have one issue of  an OCD type  cabin attendant who only cleaned  the rooms in the numerical order and our cabin was last on his list. 

Some ships give us an “in transit”  card so that we can enter the hallways and our cabin without issue. 

We’ve been doing back to back‘s for at least 10 years, and I’ve never heard of this restriction. Our most recent back to back when we had to switch was this past June, and we had no problem  getting to our new cabin well before the normal cabin opening time.

As a heads up, can you let me know what ships hold this restriction?    I would need to know so that I can have certain things with me  ( such as bathing suit or sunscreen) until  the cabin opened. 

Thanks. 

M

On Empress and Navigator recently they validated who was staying in the same and who wasn't.  

Like I said though, on SOME ships...  

18 minutes ago, twangster said:

On Empress and Navigator recently they validated who was staying in the same and who wasn't.  

Like I said though, on SOME ships...  

Thanks. This restriction must’ve been either before or after we had our2017  back to back and switched cabins on Empress. We had no issue.  Never sailed Navigator  but it is good to be warned. I’ll be sure not to book a B2B in different cabins. 

M

OP - there must be decent amount of people who do chef‘s table without the wine, as they do offer a price differential. 

M

23 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Thanks. This restriction must’ve been either before or after we had our2017  back to back and switched cabins on Empress. We had no issue.  Never sailed Navigator  but it is good to be warned. I’ll be sure not to book a B2B in different cabins. 

M

We did a b2b on harmony the last two weeks, and switched cabins between legs. Our cabin steward for the second leg was already prepping our new cabin before we even went to breakfast, and by the time we got back from eating, everything had been moved to the new cabin. As long as you communicate with the stewards, you shouldn’t have any difficulty or delay.

On one occasion, I asked if I could transfer the luggage/belongings myself. I was allowed to do so, with gratitude expressed, since they have a heavy work load. (I was planning to get off the ship briefly and liked the reassurance that no items would be misplaced, as had happened once before, and also was able to place items in the new cabin's safe.)

Edited by Etta1213

I have done Chefs table 3 times without the wine. I have always waited to book onboard and have been given at least a 50% discount. 

47 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

On one occasion, I asked if I could transfer the luggage/belongings myself. I was allowed to do so, with gratitude expressed, since they have a heavy work load. (I was planning to get off the ship briefly and liked the reassurance that no items would be misplaced, as had happened once before, and also was able to place items in the new cabin's safe.)

We almost always move the bags ourselves and leave the hanging items to the crew because they have a proper luggage cart.    Love it when the new room is ready early, we can get our items in and start to unpack and enjoy the second leg of the trip. 

An added bonus when you have to switch rooms, is that you know you’re getting a nice sparkling clean room. 

In every instance, we have been allowed in to the new room no later than when we re-enter the ship as a back to back passenger.   The one time we had the slow cabin attendant  who would not clean our room out of order,  the previous cabin attendant had already moved our hanging items.  We had stored our luggage in the closet

M

Just to be on the safe side, I also place new cabin number on our luggage.  I have many large garment bags and will place clothes that are hanging in them.  Keeps clothes out of sight and together and not dropping off luggage cart..  It's just me, I feel better about the whole move.

1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

I wish we had done that on our last B2B.

I had always read how easy it was to leave hanging items and have them moved. I “lost” three items of clothing that were hanging, never to be found, after the short transfer between cabins.

I would be very reluctant to change cabins again.

4 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Just to be on the safe side, I also place new cabin number on our luggage.  I have many large garment bags and will place clothes that are hanging in them.  Keeps clothes out of sight and together and not dropping off luggage cart..  It's just me, I feel better about the whole move.

I placed new cabin number on luggage but I didn’t put hanging items in a carrier.

Maybe IF I change cabins again that would help. However IF they drop off cart during transfer time there should only be staff in the hallways and I would have expected there to be a procedure for mislaid items.

Edited by c-leg5

The belongings info, and the info about room access, are great to know. We are doing our first B2B in late October (staying in same cabin).

Does anyone have tips on how to handle gratuities for those of us who might want to add something? Do it at turnaround or wait til end?

23 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

The belongings info, and the info about room access, are great to know. We are doing our first B2B in late October (staying in same cabin).

Does anyone have tips on how to handle gratuities for those of us who might want to add something? Do it at turnaround or wait til end?

Regarding extra tips  - best to do  it an the end of each cruise as you might not have the same attendants or waiters.

enjoy

M

Thanks for all the replies. We just booked the b2b on the Freedom, May 10th and 17th out of San Juan.

We got the same stateroom for both legs.

What is the process on embarkation day? Do we have to get off of the ship and get back on? Customs?

First b2b for us.

6 minutes ago, GMfitter said:

Thanks for all the replies. We just booked the b2b on the Freedom, May 10th and 17th out of San Juan.

We got the same stateroom for both legs.

What is the process on embarkation day? Do we have to get off of the ship and get back on? Customs?

First b2b for us.

Could vary, but normally you have to get off the ship for a short time and show your passport.