Cruise Critic Community

6 hours ago, tomservo said:

Your PCC or TA got this for you?

PCC, I always book direct with the cruise line, I like to have control of my booking.

8 hours ago, blcruising said:

Yes, mine is lower. Rock bottom pricing. I know rock bottom when I see it.

If you have the flexibility, the price drops significantly as you get closer in.  The downside is that a cruise you want may sell out and then you loose that opportunity.  If destination and date are super important, then book a little farther out.

49 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

I'm not amazed , I always keep looking. Yes I'm comfortable with the price I paid ( as I'm sure many are), however if I can get ( let's call it a rebate) money back why not??

If it's available to get ( price drop/OBC) it's certainly within the pax rights. If it wasn't NCL and all other cruiselines would Stop it.

"Available" to get. On all the cruises I have taken with NCL , there has never been an opportunity to have the price reduced. On the last cruise I took in July, the price had reduced but when I happened to be ringing NCL on another matter and mentioned this fact, they simply said to me that prices do fluctuate based on supply and demand.

1 hour ago, cottagers2000 said:

The point I am making is that the price that was paid was obviously within their budget do why keep looking to see if the price has changed. Are you now still amazed???

Yes. Always keep checking. You can learn about how NCL's pricing model works. It is different from other lines. Then use that knowledge to score awesome deals and cruise more frequently.

Edited by blcruising

2 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

The point I am making is that the price that was paid was obviously within their budget do why keep looking to see if the price has changed. Are you now still amazed???

There is a big difference between after final payment date and before final payment date.  Before final payment due date you can cancel and rebook with no impact (except maybe changing perks).  I check prices weekly on all my cruises on all lines before final payment.  If there is any drop, I have my TA rebook for the lower price (unless I have some really nice perks I’ll lose).  After final payment I don’t pay as much attention, but if I see a drop, I’ll ask my TA to try for the OBC or upgrade.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with rebooking for a lower price.  The system allows it.

3 hours ago, blcruising said:

Yes. Always keep checking. You can learn about how NCL's pricing model works. It is different from other lines. Then use that knowledge to score awesome deals and cruise more frequently.

I normally book a year or so in advance and keep checking the price. I had an 11-day W. Caribbean in Jan 2020 Breakaway Haven booked, and kept looking at the Latitudes and "20% off" emails. I found a 10-day (No Nassau - been there, done that anyway) W. Caribbean , later in January, same ship, accommodations and perks for TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS LESS!! Got a hold of my PCC. and 10 minutes later she had me booked.

I cruise alone, so the rate is double for me. The $2000 difference made the $ting a lot easier to take, for sure.

Nothing wrong with checking prices after final payment either. If the price goes down you may be able to get some OBC or even upgrade cabins for free or cheap.

2 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

There is a big difference between after final payment date and before final payment date.  Before final payment due date you can cancel and rebook with no impact (except maybe changing perks).  I check prices weekly on all my cruises on all lines before final payment.  If there is any drop, I have my TA rebook for the lower price (unless I have some really nice perks I’ll lose).  After final payment I don’t pay as much attention, but if I see a drop, I’ll ask my TA to try for the OBC or upgrade.

there is absolutely nothing wrong with rebooking for a lower price.  The system allows it.

Cancel and rebook with no impact????? Maybe in the USA on their bookings. Not so in the UK. Any deposit is lost

15 hours ago, blcruising said:

Amazed at the people that ask this question. As a general rule, people want the lowest price possible. No one wants to overpay. I never offer to pay more for things that I know I can get cheaper, do you? Of course, I would also never book an NCL cruise more than a week or two before sailing.

Can you still get the perks when booking that close to sailing?

18 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

If the price had gone up $600, would you have wanted to pay the difference?

Why do people continue to post this on every thread about price drops?

It is NOT helpful!!!

33 minutes ago, electro said:

Why do people continue to post this on every thread about price drops?

It is NOT helpful!!!

Never indicated that it was a least bit helpful. I am always lost for words as to why so many (mainly Americans) make such a fuss about prices. It must be a cultural issue

3 minutes ago, cottagers2000 said:

Never indicated that it was a least bit helpful. I am always lost for words as to why so many (mainly Americans) make such a fuss about prices. It must be a cultural issue

Another silly thing to say.

22 hours ago, Bavariangirl said:

Hi , last week we booked the Haven H6 on the Getaway. Today we saw a pricedrop of more than $600 . Is there a chance to get the difference?

So what happened??  Did you call and get the lower price or OBC? 

4 hours ago, adam_s_allen said:

Nothing wrong with checking prices after final payment either. If the price goes down you may be able to get some OBC or even upgrade cabins for free or cheap.

you are totally correct but many don't want to accept they can not get a better price and do not care about the OBC. that has been shown here over and over. Not to mention there are times when a lower price may be connected with something than the basic price we see on the computer so I pretty much have decided it is better to accept the price I was willing to pay when I booked. Of course if my TA finds a better price prior to final payment we are delighted .  

Electro: for the same reason people keep posting about rate drops after final payment. The topic has been discussed into the ground and it makes sense to point this out to people about higher rates and how would you feel? 

1 hour ago, LaCal said:

So what happened??  Did you call and get the lower price or OBC? 

I wrote an eMail but still no answer. So I have to wait .... will inform you

What's wrong with checking for price drops?  Everyone wants to save money.  I check all the time.  Saved $1000 on my Panama Canal booking and $600 on my Hawaii cruise.  I'm not rich and that $1600 will come in handy.  

On 9/9/2019 at 2:15 PM, Bavariangirl said:

Hi , last week we booked the Haven H6 on the Getaway. Today we saw a pricedrop of more than $600 . Is there a chance to get the difference?

I watch my prices all the time and call in whenever there's a (significant) price drop.  So far my upcoming H6 on the Getaway is now $3,000 less than what I booked it for. 

My PCC encourages me to call in and rebook anytime the fare changes to something that benefits me.  Before final payment is due, of course.

35 minutes ago, Bavariangirl said:

I wrote an eMail but still no answer. So I have to wait .... will inform you

Suggestion, since your deadline (final payment?) is the 13th you should call. Prices could go up and email responses  take forever.

3 minutes ago, Skipper305 said:

Suggestion, since your deadline (final payment?) is the 13th you should call. Prices could go up and email responses  take forever.

Agreed - my PCC is fantastic on the phone, but emails are a bit all over the place in terms of response time.  I've ended up calling before when my patience for a response wore out.

52 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

Electro: for the same reason people keep posting about rate drops after final payment. The topic has been discussed into the ground and it makes sense to point this out to people about higher rates and how would you feel? 

I totally disagree with that. It makes sense to tell people to call because they could possible get an OBC for part of the difference or get a room upgrade but not to be disappointed if they don't. That is useful information that everyone may not know.

Asking them if they would call to pay more is not useful and is only is said to make people feel bad about asking the question.

The price dropped on my next cruise (next month).  I changed from sailaway rate to a rate with two perks for $20pp plus gratuity.  It was worth my time to check prices.

8 hours ago, cottagers2000 said:

Not a cutural thing, it's just plain old common sense to get the best deal possible.

If NCL allows cancelling and rebooking ( if it makes sense) , are we (Americans) at fault for following NCL's guidelines? Nope it's in OUR best interest financially.

Money in our pockets is just as good as corporations. 

IF you were afforded the same opportunity, I'm pretty sure you take the money also. I've never known one to say no to $$$$$$. 

9 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Not a cutural thing, it's just plain old common sense to get the best deal possible.

If NCL allows cancelling and rebooking ( if it makes sense) , are we (Americans) at fault for following NCL's guidelines? Nope it's in OUR best interest financially.

Money in our pockets is just as good as corporations. 

IF you were afforded the same opportunity, I'm pretty sure you take the money also. I've never known one to say no to $$$$$$. 

The issue as far as I am concerned is the fact that onbookings made in the USA, customers seem to at will cancel an re book with no financial penalty. This in my opinion is totally wrong and the deposit should be forfeited just the same as in the UK. It really is about time that NCL had the same set of rules in ALL countries

15 hours ago, electro said:

I totally disagree with that. It makes sense to tell people to call because they could possible get an OBC for part of the difference or get a room upgrade but not to be disappointed if they don't. That is useful information that everyone may not know.

Asking them if they would call to pay more is not useful and is only is said to make people feel bad about asking the question.

It is not wrong to keep checking, but it is important when people show disappointment when they can not get a price drop to point out, like so many here have done, that the price you were charged was fine with you, so don't be disappointed when you can not get a better price after final payment. I do agree with you, as long as people realize they may not gain anything. I am also wondering why, this topic seems to pop up every week or two when there are already several postings on the subject.