Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, cottagers2000 said:

The issue as far as I am concerned is the fact that onbookings made in the USA, customers seem to at will cancel an re book with no financial penalty. This in my opinion is totally wrong and the deposit should be forfeited just the same as in the UK. It really is about time that NCL had the same set of rules in ALL countries

If I remember correctly you don't pay the gratuity on perks (Specialty Dining, Drink Package). It's part of your cruise fare.

 

We on the other hand pay extra for those 2. We get the perk for free but pay approximately $400.00 or so for them.

 

My question to you is can you book in U S? Maybe that $$  phone call can save you $$$$

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Not a cutural thing, it's just plain old common sense to get the best deal possible.

 

If NCL allows cancelling and rebooking ( if it makes sense) , are we (Americans) at fault for following NCL's guidelines? Nope it's in OUR best interest financially.

 

Money in our pockets is just as good as corporations. 

 

IF you were afforded the same opportunity, I'm pretty sure you take the money also. I've never known one to say no to $$$$$$. 

I wish we could do it here in the UK, I would be watching daily :classic_cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cottagers2000 said:

The issue as far as I am concerned is the fact that onbookings made in the USA, customers seem to at will cancel an re book with no financial penalty. This in my opinion is totally wrong and the deposit should be forfeited just the same as in the UK. It really is about time that NCL had the same set of rules in ALL countries

 

You think it's wrong because you wish you could do it with no financial penalty.  I'm pretty sure that NCL doesn't get to make the rules all by themselves but rather are influenced by the consumer  laws specific to regions like Europe or the United States..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cottagers2000 said:

The issue as far as I am concerned is the fact that onbookings made in the USA, customers seem to at will cancel an re book with no financial penalty. This in my opinion is totally wrong and the deposit should be forfeited just the same as in the UK. It really is about time that NCL had the same set of rules in ALL countries

 

Why do you feel that way?  Move to the US and you will pay based on US model.  Problem solved 😀.  Of course then you will be stuck with paying gratuities (not to open that can).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

If I remember correctly you don't pay the gratuity on perks (Specialty Dining, Drink Package). It's part of your cruise fare.

 

We on the other hand pay extra for those 2. We get the perk for free but pay approximately $400.00 or so for them.

 

My question to you is can you book in U S? Maybe that $$  phone call can save you $$$$

When booking a NCL cruise in the UK our cruise price is higher as the dining/drinks package gratuities are included. On a 11 night cruise our "free at sea " cost us £145 pp (approx. 180 dollars per person).

On a recent cruise we paid £900 (approx1100 dollars)  deposit. If we had cancelled we would have lost the lot !!   Regardless of where the booking is made … it should be ..same ship, same date , same rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, room with a view said:

When booking a NCL cruise in the UK our cruise price is higher as the dining/drinks package gratuities are included. On a 11 night cruise our "free at sea " cost us £145 pp (approx. 180 dollars per person).

On a recent cruise we paid £900 (approx1100 dollars)  deposit. If we had cancelled we would have lost the lot !!   Regardless of where the booking is made … it should be ..same ship, same date , same rules.

Read post #53 by ColeThorton. What was said could be true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 10:30 AM, adam_s_allen said:

Nothing wrong with checking prices after final payment either. If the price goes down you may be able to get some OBC or even upgrade cabins for free or cheap.

I took a cruise this June on the Escape to Bermuda, and had a solo room booked 8 months in advance. 2 weeks prior to leaving the price of balcony rooms was 50% less than I had paid for a solo room. I had booked direct thru NCL, called and they upgraded me from a solo room to a aft balcony room for FREE and even gave me a small additional OBC, of $50 I believe....BUT I would have been about a thousand dollars ahead if i just waited, albeit a gamble on them selling out.

 

Honestly I should have waited and will probably NEVER book in advance again, since I  have flexibility. I'm watching 2 cruises now that both leave on the same date in December...The Bliss & the Gem. Hoping to score a cheap balcony room on one of them and i really don't care which! The prices have been steadily dropping!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stealthdog said:

 

Why do you feel that way?  Move to the US and you will pay based on US model.  Problem solved 😀.  Of course then you will be stuck with paying gratuities (not to open that can).

In the words of Boris Johnson, I would rather be dead in a ditch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, Bavariangirl said:

I wrote an eMail but still no answer. So I have to wait .... will inform you

 

Don't wait.  Get on the phone and call.  You don't have much time left and if they don't reply till after final payment deadline, the result could be far less desirable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 2:23 AM, kodesthemoose said:

 

Don't wait.  Get on the phone and call.  You don't have much time left and if they don't reply till after final payment deadline, the result could be far less desirable.  

The answer was: Sorry, you paid in Euro and not in USD so they can do nothing! Never had this before. When we booked at carnival or RCCL - no problem. I told NCL (Europe!) that we are shareholders - "Oh, ok" ????!!!! We were always redirected from the US to the Europe site and the same when we call the the customerservice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2019 at 3:05 PM, mano2020 said:

I took a cruise this June on the Escape to Bermuda, and had a solo room booked 8 months in advance. 2 weeks prior to leaving the price of balcony rooms was 50% less than I had paid for a solo room. I had booked direct thru NCL, called and they upgraded me from a solo room to a aft balcony room for FREE and even gave me a small additional OBC, of $50 I believe....BUT I would have been about a thousand dollars ahead if i just waited, albeit a gamble on them selling out.

 

Honestly I should have waited and will probably NEVER book in advance again, since I  have flexibility. I'm watching 2 cruises now that both leave on the same date in December...The Bliss & the Gem. Hoping to score a cheap balcony room on one of them and i really don't care which! The prices have been steadily dropping!!

 

By solo room do you mean studio or a regular room booked solo? Curious because our group TA on an upcoming cruise basically said we couldn't upgrade from a studio even though the prices of other cabins are less than what we paid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 2:31 AM, don't-use-real-name said:

 

 I would also never book an NCL cruise more than a week or two before sailing.

 

 

And have a terrific selection and location of that cabin - whatever is left -but- you are cruising !

Perfect for me 😀😀😀    Itinerary is everything for me.    Nothing better then multiple cruises every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 4:00 AM, blcruising said:

Yes, mine is lower. Rock bottom pricing. I know rock bottom when I see it.

 

On 9/10/2019 at 4:00 AM, blcruising said:

Yes, mine is lower. Rock bottom pricing. I know rock bottom when I see it.

The “bottom “. Is not known until the ship sails.    You’re so skilled-  never has a cruise drop lower after you booked???      It’s certainly happened to me.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

 

The “bottom “. Is not known until the ship sails.    You’re so skilled-  never has a cruise drop lower after you booked???      It’s certainly happened to me.   

Good grief, lighten up Queen. My goal is to secure a low price. Pretty hard to do after the ship has sailed. Of course, price drops have occurred. Maybe $20 here are $30. But never the hundreds of dollars that I see floating around here frequently. I don't even blink an eye at that. My recent 9 day went to $349 5 days before sailing so I booked it. It ended up at $299 3 days before. Oh well. $349 assigned the highest category inside stateroom midship, staterooms above and below. A steal ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

 

By solo room do you mean studio or a regular room booked solo? Curious because our group TA on an upcoming cruise basically said we couldn't upgrade from a studio even though the prices of other cabins are less than what we paid. 

It was a studio I had originally booked, through NCL directly...and it was the same thing....The prices on balcony cabins had dropped to considerably less than I had paid for a studio, and as i said, they upgraded me to an aft  balcony room for free and gave me an additional $50 OBC. This upgrade didn't happen until less than 2 weeks prior to sailing....and I had to make some noise for it to happen!

 

The more I looked at the videos of a studio room, the more I said "not for me!".  A balcony is soooo much nicer, even one with an obstructed view (in my opinion). 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mano2020 said:

It was a studio I had originally booked, through NCL directly...and it was the same thing....The prices on balcony cabins had dropped to considerably less than I had paid for a studio, and as i said, they upgraded me to an aft  balcony room for free and gave me an additional $50 OBC. This upgrade didn't happen until less than 2 weeks prior to sailing....and I had to make some noise for it to happen!

 

The more I looked at the videos of a studio room, the more I said "not for me!".  A balcony is soooo much nicer, even one with an obstructed view (in my opinion). 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I won't disagree on the balcony being better. But unfortunately for the sailings I've picked haven't had the prices of balconies drop. I have a cruise in March I'm crossing my fingers on! The studio's dropped over $200 since I booked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...