Cruise Critic Community
audraz910

Celebrating on Cruise

We decided to do a cruise this year.  I am turning 45 in Sept.,  DH is turning 40 April, DD is turning 16, DS turning 13, Youngest is turning 5.  My question is when they ask if we are celebrating would it be wrong to say we all are just not that actual month when we are sailing?

Well, they offer a little cake in the MDR for birthdays and anniversaries. IMO (humble as it is), I feel it would be unethical to ask that each of you receives one of these little cakes at dinner. What you could do is pre-order a celebration cake and have it served in the MDR for all of you. Do you think that would be suitable?

We'll be celebrating our 40th anniversary on our October cruise.  The actual date was in May.  The October cruise was the only time we could schedule due to other commitments and just life.  Go for it and celebrate on the ship.  Have a great cruise!

Edited by Butterbean1000

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Well, they offer a little cake in the MDR for birthdays and anniversaries. IMO (humble as it is), I feel it would be unethical to ask that each of you receives one of these little cakes at dinner. What you could do is pre-order a celebration cake and have it served in the MDR for all of you. Do you think that would be suitable?

Just wondering why would it be unethical? Let them say no if it’s not doable. Sometimes I have seen it as a little cupcake - then it’s like a desert. I would ask - nothing to lose. 

On a a separate note decorating the room and getting a cake was not a bad deal either and you can do this. It would be fun for everyone and the cake would  feed more than 4. 

You are taking the cruise to celebrate 4 people. Celebrate the way you want and ask for anything you like. What’s the worst thing that happens  as I said before is - they say no. 

Almost everyone on a cruise is celebrating something. By the end of the week you will be tired of hearing them sing Happy Birthday.

Well, it doesn't matter if it's the month to them. But it might matter to you. All the kids paid for my parents to go on a cruise and it was way out, maybe 2 years out. Eventually it's the first night of the cruise and they all come out singing happy birthday to my parents. It wasn't anywhere near the date of their birthdays and we had all forgotten that we had said it was a birthday present for them. So there was 5-10 seconds of confusion before it clicked. A very humorous story to share.

Bear in mind that as part of setting up your cruise you have to give them everyones real birthday matching their boarding documents and/or passports!!

7 minutes ago, rvsullivan said:

Bear in mind that as part of setting up your cruise you have to give them everyones real birthday matching their boarding documents and/or passports!!

I'm sure Carnival goes out of their way to confirm birthdays match with birthday celebration requests...  

Those caught will be ridiculed by the dining staff... or worse, thrown in the brig.

3 hours ago, audraz910 said:

My question is when they ask if we are celebrating would it be wrong to say we all are just not that actual month when we are sailing?

Let the MDR staff know that this cruise is to celebrate everyone's birthday and you would like to celebrate one evening...  they will accommodate and make it fun. 

19 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

I'm sure Carnival goes out of their way to confirm birthdays match with birthday celebration requests...  

Those caught will be ridiculed by the dining staff... or worse, thrown in the brig.

I would hope so!!! Gaming the system is a brig offense.👨‍✈️

Then, perhaps Carnival should only offer the little cakes for dessert and sing Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary (kissy, kissy!) for everyone in the dining room. Settled! 😉

It's all good. I'm just thinking of the time it takes to get the cakes, light the candles, sing and disrupt service for the other diners. But, you do you and I'll do me! Everyone wins. 👍

I too think that you should look into ordering decorations for the cabin & maybe one of their cakes.  The decorations are really cute & not very costly.  I haven't had the cake, but I have heard that they are really good. 

You could certainly ask that the MDR staff sing happy birthday - but the only person who will probably enjoy it is the 5 year old (lol).  Like someone else said, it doesn't feel really special because they seem to be singing Happy Birthday or Anniversary or Honeymoon every few minutes.

5 hours ago, audraz910 said:

We decided to do a cruise this year.  I am turning 45 in Sept.,  DH is turning 40 April, DD is turning 16, DS turning 13, Youngest is turning 5.  My question is when they ask if we are celebrating would it be wrong to say we all are just not that actual month when we are sailing?

They know exactly when your birthday is so telling them isn't going to get you freebies. If you want a cake, buy one and ask if they will sing Happy Birthday.  This isn't WDW where everyone is wearing birthday buttons to scam free stuff.

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Usually when your birthday is during the cruise, you don't have to prime the pump.  

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Then, perhaps Carnival should only offer the little cakes for dessert and sing Happy Birthday or Happy Anniversary (kissy, kissy!) for everyone in the dining room. Settled! 😉

It's all good. I'm just thinking of the time it takes to get the cakes, light the candles, sing and disrupt service for the other diners. But, you do you and I'll do me! Everyone wins. 👍

It may be a waste of time but not unethical. I think they could make it worth the time of the servers ($$$$) if they do something nice. If they don’t have time - call it desert and a day. 

23 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

It may be a waste of time but not unethical. I think they could make it worth the time of the servers ($$$$) if they do something nice. If they don’t have time - call it desert and a day. 

I like this idea! Slip the head waiter twenty bucks and ask for cakes for the whole table. 🙂

We picked a time to celebrate our 15th anniversary, and both of our birthdays which all are a few weeks apart ... on a cruise where several of our friends were already booked.   We aren't celebrating for a free cake.  Lol

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

They know exactly when your birthday is so telling them isn't going to get you freebies. If you want a cake, buy one and ask if they will sing Happy Birthday.  

Oh come on...  !  The MDR waiter has pushed desert on us so many times ( it's fun, even if we mean we do not want desert ) that I cannot believe there would ever be an issue to requesting a celebratory evening.

Don't listen to anyone on this thread that suggests otherwise... they are probably the person with a wad of newspapers crinkled in their hands, standing on their lawn, waiving them at the kid to get off their lawns.

In a world where you can pick your gender and almost anything else I doubt a birthday on paper means anything. My son celebrates his birthday on every cruise and nobody has ever done the birthday check. He is getting older now but it’s a family tradition and we all laugh and have a good time. That’s what cruises are all about. 

35 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Oh come on...  !  The MDR waiter has pushed desert on us so many times ( it's fun, even if we mean we do not want desert ) that I cannot believe there would ever be an issue to requesting a celebratory evening.

Don't listen to anyone on this thread that suggests otherwise... they are probably the person with a wad of newspapers crinkled in their hands, standing on their lawn, waiving them at the kid to get off their lawns.

Hey! I don't have a lawn! I live in the desert!

15 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Thanks for the laugh 

2 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

Thanks for the laugh 

Yeah, well, I'd better not catch any kids tromping on my dirt. *scowl*

53 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

And you know you live in the desert and not the dessert. Having desert after the main course: I'll have the Mojave for my desert.