Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
jbeth

MDR dress code non formal nights

Recommended Posts

back to non-formal nights ...

 

my attire - a long-sleeve button down shirt - usually a llbean brand or similar ... khaki colored linen pants ... with brown echo sandals ... and the shirt is NEVER tucked in

 

now, would it really bother anyone if I substituted a nice pair of khaki dress shorts instead of the long pants ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 8:03 AM, MissP22 said:

Did it affect your enjoyment of the meal in any way?

not one ounce

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, voljeep said:

back to non-formal nights ...

 

my attire - a long-sleeve button down shirt - usually a llbean brand or similar ... khaki colored linen pants ... with brown echo sandals ... and the shirt is NEVER tucked in

 

now, would it really bother anyone if I substituted a nice pair of khaki dress shorts instead of the long pants ???

That's sounds like a winner. 

As does a pair of comfortable jeans & either a Polo or T shirt for the DH.

Yes I realize it's stretching the code a bit but it worked for years fro him.

 No use changing now since Princess permits it. 

Dressing in shorts is still OK for women for dinner although I tend to wear jeans as the DR get slightly cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Times are changing and those that do not want to change will be left behind.  On the CB last fall they were allowing shorts to be worn on non-formal nights in the MDR and jeans on formal nights.  I saw it and then I tried it with not even a second glance at the door.  Whether this was simply a trial or only on the CB I have no idea but will soon when we go to HI on the Star.  Lamenting the "good old days" will just make one sad as the world moves on without you.  When I was young many decades ago, people would dress up to take an airplane trip with men in coat and tie and now just about anything goes as long as it is not lewd.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure how the thread went from a question about how to dress on NON-FORMAL nights to debates about formal wear!  

 

The OP wanted to know what the dress code was like on non-formal night in the MDR for a cruise in Hawaii.  Hopefully they got some of the answers that they were looking for.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will now add my khaki visor to my smart casual attire as it is not a ball cap and I have worn it in land restaurants without any problems ... it does have black lettering, but this thread is not about formal nights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Not quite sure how the thread went from a question about how to dress on NON-FORMAL nights to debates about formal wear!  

 

The OP wanted to know what the dress code was like on non-formal night in the MDR for a cruise in Hawaii.  Hopefully they got some of the answers that they were looking for.

 

 

ya now they're sitting in front of the computer with pop corn laughing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

people would dress up to take an airplane trip with men in coat and tie

and could smoke both on the plane and in finer restaurants there was a cigar menu for your after meal cognac at your table ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Not quite sure how the thread went from a question about how to dress on NON-FORMAL nights to debates about formal wear!  

 

The OP wanted to know what the dress code was like on non-formal night in the MDR for a cruise in Hawaii.  Hopefully they got some of the answers that they were looking for.

 

 

It's pretty simple how the thread got diverted: it's evident the standards for "Smart Casual" nights have gone down the same sewer pipe as the "Formal Night" standards. Everything is optional or a matter of opinion or "Look at me! I'm such a rebel in my shorts on formal night!" or "Nobody's gonna tell ME how to act!" ad nauseam.

 

I had this small, tiny hope that decorum would prevail in an environment (aboard ship) where it used to be expected and enforced. It's not anymore just like everything else in our "brave, new world" modern society. As I mentioned in another thread, my last cruise before the one we just completed was 10 years ago. A lot has changed, virtually NOTHING for the better. 

 

I wore a uniform most of my adult life (Army, Deputy Sheriff, Airline Captain). I'm used to structured environments where actual standards of performance and appearance are established and enforced and it's at odds with the virtual non-existent "suggestions" of today.

 

I know the culture war is lost; we've been overrun by the "standardless". It's just sad to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Mikado said:

It's pretty simple how the thread got diverted: it's evident the standards for "Smart Casual" nights have gone down the same sewer pipe as the "Formal Night" standards. Everything is optional or a matter of opinion or "Look at me! I'm such a rebel in my shorts on formal night!" or "Nobody's gonna tell ME how to act!" ad nauseam.

 

Why post that when there's no where in this thread where someone suggested wearing shorts on a formal night in the DR. 

While people bend the rules/code to fit their situation it's still not as bad as some would make it out to be. 

And it's only fair to let the OP know the reality of how people do dress on casual evenings in the DR even if some people do dress up somewhat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

1) Why post that when there's no where in this thread where someone suggested wearing shorts on a formal night in the DR. 

 

2) While people bend the rules/code to fit their situation it's still not as bad as some would make it out to be. 

 

3) And it's only fair to let the OP know the reality of how people do dress on casual evenings in the DR even if some people do dress up somewhat. 

1) Because it's been promulgated in about a million other threads on this same subject.

 

2) No, you're right; it's worse.

 

3) Agreed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

 

As does a pair of comfortable jeans & either a Polo or T shirt for the DH.

 

Does he bring his polo hammer and polo horse with him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), while women may want to bring an evening dress or a skirt with a good blouse." 

So you can see that Princess does recognize that not everyone wants to participate in "dressing up". It doesn't say shorts, jeans or flop flops but just decent casual clothing that most would classify as casual. My DH interprets that as Dockers & a dress/Polo/guayabera  shirt. I wear my black slacks with a dressy top. 

 

So you intepret a dress code that specifies wearing a " tie at the very least " as a request to not wear a tie ? 🤔

Edited by Broadside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broadside said:

 

So you intepret a dress code that specifies wearing a " tie at the very least " as a request to not wear a tie ? 🤔

He hasn't worn a tie in 25 years & isn't about to start now to please the Princess crowd. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

He hasn't worn a tie in 25 years & isn't about to start now to please the Princess crowd. 

 

What a rebel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

What a rebel!

Yes and a comfortable one at that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MissP22 said:

Yes and a comfortable one at that. 

As am I; “comfortable” in formal attire, that is. 

 

Elegance is fun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Mikado said:

As am I; “comfortable” in formal attire, that is. 

 

Elegance is fun. 

Terrific!!  Have a ball.  One of our hosts wondered how a thread where the OP asked a question about attire on NON-Formal nights turned into heated posts on Formal nights.  I almost fell off my chair.  ANY thread that mentions clothing, or even formal nights without mentioning clothing almost always ends up in the usual debates.  This thread has become a trench war. 

 

I applaud your choice, but this isn't some religious sect brain-washing exercise where one is trying to indoctrinate the other.  Well that IS what is being attempted on here from some quarters.  And it's NOT GOING TO WORK.  EITHER WAY.  Those who enjoy dressing to the 9's are wanting to continue to do so and those who want all-the-time smart casual are not going to convince the formal crowd to give it up.

 

I for one no longer fail to understand the reason for the pitched battle.  Princess has the perfect situation IMO where we can all dress the way we want (save for some definite faux pas that are supposed to be turned away) between smart casual and black tie.  I'm not just addressing @The Mikado here.  For example, @scottca075 must think we are all in a court of law when he dissects Princess' informational (not legal) language about clothing to the extent that "for more formal settings" is not applicable nor equivalent nor referencing "formal nights".  For the love of Pete, Princess is using conversational or promotional language here.  I don't think we need a Philadelphia lawyer to understand what they are saying.  Nuance folks. 

 

And those of us who prefer to not go with dark suits, gowns, and black tie on formal nights are not going to change the others.  And why should we?  We are all welcome on the ship.

 

IMO, the CC Moderators should delete any post that attempts to convert or force anyone else to conform to what they want.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 4:14 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

This topic could go downhill in a hurry. Be prepared.  🤔

POST #2 above.  How prescient was that!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting to read in this thread and at least one other than I can recall that either HQ or the MD on Caribbean Princess has relaxed the dress code even further for MDR's.  Makes me wonder how long it will be before enough cruisers experience this and are aware of it, that it will become expected on all other ships on Caribbean itineraries. 

 

I am curious to see what the Crown will be like on our November cruise.  I really do think 99% of folks on board make an effort to be nicely attired for dinner, be it in smart casual attire or more formal wear.  On whatever the night.  I cannot be bothered worrying about the other 1% and what Princess' MD and HW's are doing about it.

 

 

 

Edited by steelers36

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 8:54 AM, MissP22 said:

Oh but it is great that Princess doesn't force people to dress up on any evening.

If you would only take the time to read the link you provided in your post. 

We choose the less formal route & it's worked very well on literally dozens of Princess cruises for the past 15 years including T shirts and jeans on casual evenings for the DH and jeans with my plain top. (even shorts on the CB every casual night) 😲

Yes people do dress up and if you enjoy making a dressy occasion out of a casual evening no one will stop you but stop trying to make the cruise line sound more formal than it is in real life. 

 

 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:00 AM, MissP22 said:

Wow are you ever living in a dream world. 

I think you should re-read the link you yourself posted about formal options.

People don't really want the rules quoted to them as they can find it for themselves. They want the reality of what happens on  Princess ship & your version is only what you perceive in your dreams.

We haven't dressed up for formal evenings in the DR for well over a decade & never had one problem gaining entrance. 

Enjoy your fantasy world. 

 

On 9/12/2019 at 10:28 AM, MissP22 said:

That is the crux of this whole discussion. What Princess prints & what is the actuality of dressing on a Princess ship. Some like to believe every word that's printed while others go by past experience.

Take your choice. 

 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, MissP22 said:

The written ones, yes.

In actuality not even close.

One day you may be on a ship and find your relaxed and comfortable personal dress code turned away at the door for not being "up to code"...what happens then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jwattle said:

 

 

 

One day you may be on a ship and find your relaxed and comfortable personal dress code turned away at the door for not being "up to code"...what happens then?

Will handle it when it happens.  Has not happened in the last 10-12 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Will handle it when it happens.  Has not happened in the last 10-12 years.

Oh, you and Miss P22 are a couple? 😘,sweet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jwattle said:

 

 

 

One day you may be on a ship and find your relaxed and comfortable personal dress code turned away at the door for not being "up to code"...what happens then?

I suppose at that point I'll have to conform to the way that The Mikado intrepids the Princess dress code. - ie. no black slacks & nice top or just a shirt & pants for the DH on formal nights.

He'll have to wear a jacket & tie & I'll have to wear one of my old sequent dresses once again. 

and on casual nights he'll have to actually wear a dress shirt. ie- no more jeans & T shirt !

Looking back at some of my pictures from older Princess cruises , it was somewhere around 2003 or 2004 where we made the switch to comfortable clothing so unless something earthshaking happens & Princess decides to toughen up their dress code in the future we'll continue to dress as Princess allows on 99% of their ships. I do believe that the PP follows the directive more stringently. 

12 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Terrific!!  Have a ball.  One of our hosts wondered how a thread where the OP asked a question about attire on NON-Formal nights turned into heated posts on Formal nights.  I almost fell off my chair.  ANY thread that mentions clothing, or even formal nights without mentioning clothing almost always ends up in the usual debates.  This thread has become a trench war. 

 

I applaud your choice, but this isn't some religious sect brain-washing exercise where one is trying to indoctrinate the other.  Well that IS what is being attempted on here from some quarters.  And it's NOT GOING TO WORK.  EITHER WAY.  Those who enjoy dressing to the 9's are wanting to continue to do so and those who want all-the-time smart casual are not going to convince the formal crowd to give it up.

 

I for one no longer fail to understand the reason for the pitched battle.  Princess has the perfect situation IMO where we can all dress the way we want (save for some definite faux pas that are supposed to be turned away) between smart casual and black tie.  I'm not just addressing @The Mikado here.  For example, @scottca075 must think we are all in a court of law when he dissects Princess' informational (not legal) language about clothing to the extent that "for more formal settings" is not applicable nor equivalent nor referencing "formal nights".  For the love of Pete, Princess is using conversational or promotional language here.  I don't think we need a Philadelphia lawyer to understand what they are saying.  Nuance folks. 

 

And those of us who prefer to not go with dark suits, gowns, and black tie on formal nights are not going to change the others.  And why should we?  We are all welcome on the ship.

 

IMO, the CC Moderators should delete any post that attempts to convert or force anyone else to conform to what they want.  

 

 

I think you've summed it up very nicely. People are given a great deal of latitude in what they choose to wear on any evening, like it or not.   

Edited by MissP22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...