Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Bake apple

Where will you cruise next?

Recommended Posts

We have enjoyed our river cruises very much; cruised the Rhine and the Danube both ways and also South of France. We though of the Russia offerings but that just didn't work out for us. We need a bit of inspiration I think. Where are you going next?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right now I don't have any river cruises booked, just a Panama Canal cruise next February.  I'm waiting for CroisiEurope to release their itineraries for La Belle des Oceans on the St. Lawrence.  Is that an ocean cruise or a river cruise? I'm not sure how to classify it.  I'm also looking at Belgian and Dutch waterways, but not during the crazy tulip season. 

 

Clearly, not enough time or money. 

 

Roz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China next year, and we just booked the Douro River for Spring of 2021.

 

Clearly, we are addicted 😃

 

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Douro is next for us, with about a week pre-cruise in Lisbon and elsewhere in Portugal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We want to book a Christmas markets cruise but hesitating because of water levels and with my medical condition bus trips are not possible.  So it may be in Asia or south of France.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next month:  Mississippi River cruise (New Orleans to Memphis)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing a bike and barge trip, 7 nights on the Moselle from Koblenz to Metz in May. Looking ahead to 2021, I retire in July and am trying to figure out if I can do a Norwegian Fjords cruise in May or June.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

We want to book a Christmas markets cruise but hesitating because of water levels and with my medical condition bus trips are not possible.  

It's my understanding that water levels are unlikely to be an issue with late Nov/Dec Christmas Market trips. I don't recall reading about issues at that time of year (either high or low). 

 

We just did the Mekong on Avalon and agree it was one of the best vacations we've ever had (that's out of all types of vacations - and I am not even a big river cruise 😉 ) Depending on what sort of medical issues you have, the Mekong might not be possible or enjoyable for you - some of the forms of transport aren't comfortable, there's a LOT of walking, and often disembarking the ship is a challenge. We did have one woman on our trip who uses a walker and she did as much as she was able to do and had a good time - but I think she had set appropriate expectations ahead of time that there were things she wasn't going to be able to do. And of course, the fantastic cruise director did everything possible for those with issues (eg a couple of people rode in a tuk tuk instead of the oxcart one day, there were crew available to help assist up/down awkward "stairs")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sailing next month on The River Po😁 out of Venice!!!😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1of4 said:

We want to book a Christmas markets cruise but hesitating because of water levels and with my medical condition bus trips are not possible.  So it may be in Asia or south of France.

Well, if you do, I for one will be awaiting your wonderful reviews and awesome photos!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next month I leave on Viking for the south of France and in 2020 trying Uniworld for the first time in Italy. I travel quite a bit combining land, river and ocean and knock on wood all have been great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

It's my understanding that water levels are unlikely to be an issue with late Nov/Dec Christmas Market trips. I don't recall reading about issues at that time of year (either high or low). 

 

We just did the Mekong on Avalon and agree it was one of the best vacations we've ever had (that's out of all types of vacations - and I am not even a big river cruise 😉 ) Depending on what sort of medical issues you have, the Mekong might not be possible or enjoyable for you - some of the forms of transport aren't comfortable, there's a LOT of walking, and often disembarking the ship is a challenge. We did have one woman on our trip who uses a walker and she did as much as she was able to do and had a good time - but I think she had set appropriate expectations ahead of time that there were things she wasn't going to be able to do. And of course, the fantastic cruise director did everything possible for those with issues (eg a couple of people rode in a tuk tuk instead of the oxcart one day, there were crew available to help assist up/down awkward "stairs")

 

Thanks so much for this reply.  Christmas markets would really be wonderful and we would hope to do it sooner but it all depends on DH’s work schedule.  But he has his heart set on the Mekong for our 25 anniversary which is New Year’s Eve 2023 so time to work on getting me more able to handle the conditions.  We may bring our kids who would be 22 and 19 at that time but have to think about that.  They would be very respectful and love the trip but I know others may not like that they are on-board.

 

I have a condition that has permanently affected the nerve in my left inner ear so my balance is compromised and I need to use a cane.  I am very realistic about what I can and cannot do and would never want to hold anyone back.  It is kind of like permanent vertigo which I have been learning to control/live with for the last 4 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you accept assistance with some of the landings, you would be able to do the Mekong then. As I mentioned, there are likely to be accommodations if you can't walk long distances as well.

 

We had a multi-generational family on our trip - grandfather, parents, kids (11 & 14) and they were delightful - we spent a fair amount of time with them during the trip, in various permutations. The youngest perhaps wasn't always thrilled but he had a device and headphones 😉 The family traveled like this all over the place - wasn't even their first river cruise 😉 I wouldn't use age as the determining factor on whether or not to bring your kids - if they want to do it (understanding what is involved) then that's all you need to know! [my parents took me wherever when I was young too - it's why I love to travel so much as an adult, and I'm grateful they did it!]

 

Christmas markets are how my husband got me on a river cruise the first time 😉 I LOVE the Christmas markets, he wanted to go to Germany, so in 2014 we took an Avalon cruise from Nuremberg to Basel. It was a lovely trip, even if river cruising in Europe is not my preferred method of travel at this point. In Europe, I'd prefer to be on land. On the Mekong - I think the river cruise was the best (and perhaps only) way to see what we saw. We could have done the cities and Siem Reap on land (and are planning to go back to Vietnam yet again for other stuff we haven't seen yet....) but to sail along the river - well, that made the trip so perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will be on Scenic in the Mekong in October and are really looking forward to the trip. Hubby is one who will need a little extra assistance but you can't stop traveling just because your body is wearing out. Angkor Wat has always been on my bucket list and we are interested in seeing how river cruising is different from ocean cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

deviating from the rivers next week.  We are taking a small ship from Malta to Venice .  Next May we are taking a barge trip from Avignon to Toulouse with Road Scholar.  They have chartered the 22 pax barge. Safe travels to all.  Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

 

Thanks so much for this reply.  Christmas markets would really be wonderful and we would hope to do it sooner but it all depends on DH’s work schedule.  But he has his heart set on the Mekong for our 25 anniversary which is New Year’s Eve 2023 so time to work on getting me more able to handle the conditions.  We may bring our kids who would be 22 and 19 at that time but have to think about that.  They would be very respectful and love the trip but I know others may not like that they are on-board.

 

I have a condition that has permanently affected the nerve in my left inner ear so my balance is compromised and I need to use a cane.  I am very realistic about what I can and cannot do and would never want to hold anyone back.  It is kind of like permanent vertigo which I have been learning to control/live with for the last 4 years.

I travelled to Myanmar with Avalon last year. I used a cane on all excursions due to a knee issue; even though I am fine on flat ground. (I have issues with going down mostly, whether it is ramps or stairs.) The docking location was generally considerably below the village/town we were visiting, and the crew cut steps out of the sand for us, and then spaced themselves strategically to help people up. For me, there was always someone at my elbow to help me up to the shore, and back down to the ship. In temples, there was someone right there when I had to go up or down a step. They were incredible.

 

One thing to note about the Mekong (I did it in 2017 with Ama) is that you have to take your shoes (but not socks) off in every temple. It really helps to have shoes that you can slip on and off. (In Myanmar we also had to take off socks, which was much more difficult for me.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll be taking Uniworld's Grand France cruise next March, combining their Paris - Normandy cruise with their Burgundy and Provence cruise.  The first part of the trip will be a repeat (with some different excursions offered), but the southern part of France will be a new place for us to explore!

Just a note for those with mobility concerns:  We were on Crystal Bach this summer and witnessed the compassionate care by the staff for a 94 year old gentleman who used a walker on all of the excursions.  For instance, on our tour of Luxembourg, he was escorted by a staff member (one-on-one) for the duration of the trip, allowing the gentleman to enjoy the excursion at his own pace.  When buffets were the venue at breakfast and lunch, a staff member would walk through with the gentleman, carrying his plate and serving him whatever he selected. We really appreciated the extra care crew offered to all passengers, and especially those who need a little extra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We leave in a little less than 3 weeks for Bergen - doing a round trip cruise up the Norwegian coast line with Hurtigruten.   Then, in January, we leave for Egypt --> Cairo plus 7 night cruise on the Nile before spending time in Israel and ending up in Jordan.  A long trip, but figure we want to see as much as we can while we are there.

 

We also have booked another Eastern European cruise --> Bucharest to Budapest (with Avalon this time...)  in October 2020.  We have 2 nights in Transylvania before we get on the boat in Fetesti - and are planning on going to Poland (Krakow) for a few days after the cruise is done.  

 

Currently having some loose discussions about what to do in 2021....

 

Fran

Edited by franski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have AMA booked for October 20. Africa ! 5 days on the river and then 10 days on safari. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just did Paris to Normandy with Douro river before that. Loved both.

Next up is Eastern Europe on the Danube.  Budapest to Bucharest in early summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, vino100 said:

We have AMA booked for October 20. Africa ! 5 days on the river and then 10 days on safari. 

 

Which of AMA's safaris did you book?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dolllover said:

 

Which of AMA's safaris did you book?

 

Golden Trails of Africa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m returning next year to the Mekong which I cruised in 2012 with Viking/Pandaw. This time it’s with Emerald from Hanoi to Siem Reap and includes an overland trip from Hanoi to Danang, Hue and Hoi An which I have not visited before. As Emerald is introducing the Mekong this year this price was very attractive and it includes air fares. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...