Princess Cruise Drinks Price Australia

BGozzy

I don't like drink packages as I feel they are overpriced, while they work for some you have to be very careful. If you are involved in an incident on board and hurt yourself especially if alcohol is involved and that can happen I think you would have a very interesting and expensive discussion with your travel insurance company. The only drink package I can recommend on Princess ships is the Coffee package @$36 you get 15 specialty coffees for the price of 10.

One option that can work is that you gift yourselves OBC and just buy drinks as you go any left over credit is refunded to the card you have registered for your shipboard account. 

Edited by ozziepost

Ozziepost, thanks for answering.

I’m estimating the following (all excluding service fee):

$5.00 (Good) Coffee in morning

$12.00 Pre-Dinner Cocktail

$16.00 2x Glasses of Wine during dinner

$12.00 Cocktail during show

(up to) $24.00 Post show cocktails

This is already $69, and doesn’t include any water, juice or soft drinks during the day.

The drinks package is $73 (excluding service fee)

I just want to ensure my estimates are correct.

BGozzy - we have three cruises booked with Princess over the coming 18 months. Just checked my cruise planners and these are the per day prices for drink packages.

Such a huge difference (probably for numerous reasons) but one of the reasons why we buy drinks as we go.

Sea Princess -   Dec ‘19 Prem Bev. Pkg AU$79.99 pp/pd  - to PNG

Ruby - Feb ‘20 Prem Bev. Pkg  AU$89.59 pp/pd - to New Zealand

Regal - Oct ‘20 Prem Bev Pkg AU$99.11 per pp/pd - 38 day - Southampton to Singapore.

Edited by Porky55

Agree the prices you posted look about right soft drinks are about $2.75. The ships water is perfectly fine to drink free and probably better than what we get at home. We never buy water on board and just take our favourite water bottle and refill from the dispensers on the ship. We are on the Majestic soon and will purchase a coffee package each, take our own water bottles with us and buy our drinks as we go. Note too that no gratuities are required to be paid on Princess cruises doing cruises from Australia as it is built into the fare but there is a small service charge for purchases made on board including drinks.

Edited by ozziepost
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ozziepost said:

Agree the prices you posted look about right soft drinks are about $2.75. The ships water is perfectly fine to drink free and probably better than what we get at home. We never buy water on board and just take our favourite water bottle and refill from the dispensers on the ship. We are on the Majestic soon and will purchase a coffee package each, take our own water bottles with us and buy our drinks as we go. Note too that no gratuities are required to be paid on Princess cruises doing cruises from Australia as it is built into the fare but there is a small service charge for purchases made on board including drinks.

Is there a service charge for purchases made on board including drinks? I cannot recall having such a charge.

Aussies and NZers who book Australian-based cruises do not pay the daily gratuity, but people who book elsewhere do. 

Edited by Aus Traveller

42 minutes ago, BGozzy said:

Last time I was on board Princess ex Australia there were still service charge added to individual drinks purchased, and it says as much in t&c’s

When was that?

Never had it on any of our Princess cruises, always been what you see is what you pay.

29 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

When was that?

Never had it on any of our Princess cruises, always been what you see is what you pay.

Last time I sailed with Princess was 2014, and 2013 before that.

Im sure there was service fee added to each drink.

And I read this on Princess site?

I’ll be happy if I’m wrong.

49B7F1CF-4F40-4CDE-BCDF-61A64241FC33.jpeg

2 minutes ago, BGozzy said:

You have read this wrong. This does NOT apply on Australian-based cruises (as a couple of us said previously). Tips were removed from Australian-based cruises on 1st May 2011. If your cruises in 2014 and 2013 were on Australian-based cruises, then there was no extra charge.

The prices on drinks on Australian-based cruises are higher than on Princess' other ships. The gratuity is build into the price you see on the menu. What you see is what you pay.🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

BGozzy - we have three cruises booked with Princess over the coming 18 months. Just checked my cruise planners and these are the per day prices for drink packages.

Such a huge difference (probably for numerous reasons) but one of the reasons why we buy drinks as we go.

Sea Princess -   Dec ‘19 Prem Bev. Pkg AU$79.99 pp/pd  - to PNG

Ruby - Feb ‘20 Prem Bev. Pkg  AU$89.59 pp/pd - to New Zealand

Regal - Oct ‘20 Prem Bev Pkg AU$99.11 per pp/pd - 38 day - Southampton to Singapore.

Part of the differences would be the first 2 cruises are out of Australia and thus likely priced in AUD without conversion from USD.

Another reason would likely be the length of a cruise and also the number of sea days for each cruise, the more sea days, the higher the price.

First cruise - 11 night cruise with 5 ports, 5 sea days.

Second cruise - 13 night cruise with 7 ports, 5 sea days

Third cruise - 38 night cruise with 17 ports, 20 sea days

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

The prices on drinks on Australian-based cruises are higher than on Princess' other ships. The gratuity is build into the price you see on the menu. What you see is what you pay.🙂

Ok you are probably correct and I may well be wrong with my comment about a service charge being added to any drinks etc purchased which I thought had happened when we did a trip to NZ on the Golden earlier this year. I'll make a point of double checking our receipts for purchases we make when we do our trip on the Majestic soon. 

Cheers

Just now, BGozzy said:

Not on Australian cruises. The prices are in AUD and the price you see on the drinks list is the actual price, there is no added service charge.

The drinks package price is around AU$87 onboard. There is a bug in the online software that means the online price is incorrect. If you click on the drink package terms and conditions you'll see the correct price. Don't buy the package online, just buy OBC instead.