Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BandBWCsmom

Back from the Breeze Saturday - different point of view

Recommended Posts

We just got back from the Breeze on Saturday. I had recently seen a review or two and was a little nervous 

 

Our experience was great. MarQ as CD really made the whole experience fun. My husband and I did silly dances with the crowds, laughed more than we ever have and really, really had fun. That's the point, right? 

 

Cleanliness: I did *not* see any disgusting bathrooms that were not maintained. One time, one sink had an empty soap dispenser and there was staff en route to that bathroom and I mentioned to her. I saw people cleaning all the time. Early in the morning, the spiral staircase got a full cleaning, walking through the casino they were cleaning everywhere. Hallways all being cleaned constantly. We don't usually do Lido Buffet, but when circumstances required it (overslept MDR breakfast one time) the attendants in the space were constantly clearing tables. We did go to the Mongolian Wok, Blue Iguana, Pizza and Guys'. I never saw giant piles of dirty dishes anywhere. It's important to remember this is a ship on salt water all the time. It's impossible for it to look pristine everywhere with salt air always around. Keep perspective and you won't be disappointed. 

 

Everyone was so nice. Yes, they concentrate on their work. But, I didn't see anyone appear beat down. I went out of my way to say Good Morning or Good Afternoon when passing by those working and I was always responded to in kind and with a smile. 

 

MDR: Our wait staff was so kind to us. We went out of our way to tip them well in addition to prepaid. Ronald, Rolando and Lou knew our sons' drinks the first day and went out of their way to serve us and quickly. Nobody appeared frazzled and everyone definitely knew their role and did it well. The seat coverings in the Blush DR need a steam clean or replaced, but it didn't ruin our vacation. 

 

FTTF: We had purchased FTTF as we travel with small children and appreciate early cabin access. Also, it helps to get all the luggage unpacked before muster/sail away so that the afternoon and evening are all about fun. Well, our luggage didn't arrive until after dinner while the whole hallway was lined with luggage of those that didn't purchase FTTF. I went to guest services and mentioned this. She acknowledged my concern and said she would take to her manager. I made no demands and just said that it was disappointing as paying $89.95 for it and really one of the two perks we buy it for didn't happen. The next morning, we woke to a letter from Guest Services saying that our FTTF fee had been refunded and we could maintain using the perks (priority access to Guest Services, etc). It was above and beyond in terms of resolution and we were very happy. 

 

Food: Not going to rock your world, but one can't expect dining such as a big city, 5 star restaurant when they're serving thousands of people. We weren't impressed enough previously with our steakhouse experience to spend the money to do it again. We did the MDR every night. Actually had some really amazing appetizers. All of the dinners were good. Not great. But with a great app and dessert - who cares? 

 

Waterworks: Kids loved, loved, loved it. I can't imagine my getting them on the Liberty again after their enjoying Waterworks. The slides about killed us old folks, but they must have gone up those stairs and down those slides 100 times per day. 

 

Camp Ocean - I had a Penguin and a Sting Ray. Both boys asked to skip dessert at MDR and go straight to camp. When we picked them up, they would occasionally ask to stay another hour. We used during the day too so we could go onshore in Belize without them and also after spending hours at Waterworks so we could relax by the pool. The kids enjoyed all the activities. Our childcare bill for the week (Night Owls) was about $70. I can spend that at home on one night of babysitter at $14 per hour. 

 

Sewer Smell: Smelled it in some hallways, back of ship on our floor. You walked through and out without issue. Remember, it's not a hotel on a foundation with a buried plumbing system. You're on the water with thousands of people doing their business. If my cabin had stunk, I am sure I'd be less blase about it. In our cruise FB group, I see some complaining about the smell in hallways, but didn't see reports from in cabin. 

 

Cabin: we had a family oceanview stateroom for two reasons: shower in the tub and not get water everywhere (you have two bathrooms) and the 241 square feet for a family of four. Abdul was our steward and was amazing. I noticed lots of people complaining about balcony location, room location, loud under the pool. But, they got room type guarantees. Pick your room based upon a deckplan. You get what you get with a guarantee. Oh, and bring a white noise machine and you can drown out everything. 

 

Our room was warm the first night. Uncomfortably so. Left Abdul a note that Sunday morning requesting a fan and it was there when we returned. Used for the cruise, but our room had cooled off and it was just an added bonus. We had noticed the second day that our room was much cooler. Must have had to do with being in port that first day, doors open for cleaning, etc. Not a problem after. 

 

Piano Bar: Brad was not our favorite. Lots of Elton John (you'll love if that is your go-to). Honestly, didn't think he was that decent of a singer. We only went for a few minutes before a comedy show or when the atrium music or shows were between times. 

 

Deck 5 mid: Found lots of entertaining trivia choices which were nice to do before early dinner and after getting cleaned up from excursions/pool. We were able to relax and enjoy a cocktail before going to dinner. 

 

People: The only rudeness I encountered was from some fellow passengers. That whole concept of let us off the elevator before you get on... lost on some. I just would say, "if you let us off first, there is more room for you to enter" and smile. That seemed to work. We took alot of stairs as that was our exercise! You can't fix stupid though, so don't let them bother you. We just hold our own children accountable for their behavior and we are accountable for ours. 

 

Ask me anything. We had a blast and can't wait to book another. It works well for families with kids. I've been looking at other lines (who doesn't) but hard to find an exact match on kids' activities, comedy (it's our favorite), etc. I think we're staying with Carnival for a while. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be on the Breeze in 4 more days - can't wait.  I've been on her 4 times but not in the last few years.  I absolutely love the Breeze - my favorite of the 12 CCL ships I've been on & I admit I was a little concerned about the recent reviews.  I am so happy that you're experience was more in line with my time on her.  I'm a pretty easy going kind of cruiser so I expect to have a great time.

 

Will be going to Bermuda and Grand Turk - excited about Bermuda - haven't been there in over 30 years.  I was there 3 times when I worked on the Mardi Gras as a "gift shop girl." Don't expect I'll have the same experience now (lol).

 

Thanks for the reassuring review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, sc4125 said:

I will be on the Breeze in 4 more days - can't wait.  I've been on her 4 times but not in the last few years.  I absolutely love the Breeze - my favorite of the 12 CCL ships I've been on & I admit I was a little concerned about the recent reviews.  I am so happy that you're experience was more in line with my time on her.  I'm a pretty easy going kind of cruiser so I expect to have a great time.

 

Will be going to Bermuda and Grand Turk - excited about Bermuda - haven't been there in over 30 years.  I was there 3 times when I worked on the Mardi Gras as a "gift shop girl." Don't expect I'll have the same experience now (lol).

 

Thanks for the reassuring review.

Yes, you have to be laid back. I've done a 5 star on SeaDream ... talk about catered to and the food was phenomenal. But, for a FUN family vacation ... this is great. You're not going to get five star food. That's okay. But, I really don't go to gorge myself. It's more about not cooking, cleaning or worrying. We laughed and played a lot together as a family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks  for your review. We had MarQ on the Magic last year and he was great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great review.  Cruising on  her next month.  I run into that same elevator issue everywhere, not just on ships. 

Edited by Butterbean1000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for a wonderful review! We sailed on Breeze a few years ago and thought it was a lovely ship. Will you be sharing any photos?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your review. My husband and I are on the Breeze now and having a wonderful time.  Boarding the ship was very easy. We arrived at 10:45 (our appointment time was 11:30 to 12:00) and went to the early/late line with little wait.  We were in group A1 and they began boarding our group at 11:05. Our luggage arrived right after Muster.

MarQ is very funny and entertaining.  He is a very good CD.  The comedians so far have been hilarious.  Manny is one of the funniest we have ever seen. The ship is clean and the hallway to our cabin on deck 10 has no odor.  The only negatives we have experienced were when my husband ordered a diet coke at the comedy show and it was never brought to him.  Also, the laundry room on deck 10 had two dryers out of four out of order.  The numbers were also missing off of a couple of machines.  Other than that, everything has been wonderful for us.

The male and female country singers who performed in the atrium and ocean plaza are very good.  We have only watched one show so far in the theater, which was the Country Show.  That was just average.  Anyway, we are very pleased with this cruise and my husband and I agreed that it is one of the best ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

Thanks for your review, we sail the Breeze in November.  Did she have the new brunch menus?  

It was not the new brunch menu (doesn't appeal to me as not enough of the plain jane stuff - think plain pancakes or normal french toast for the kids). I was glad it had not changed yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Thanks for your review. My husband and I are on the Breeze now and having a wonderful time.  Boarding the ship was very easy. We arrived at 10:45 (our appointment time was 11:30 to 12:00) and went to the early/late line with little wait.  We were in group A1 and they began boarding our group at 11:05. Our luggage arrived right after Muster.

MarQ is very funny and entertaining.  He is a very good CD.  The comedians so far have been hilarious.  Manny is one of the funniest we have ever seen. The ship is clean and the hallway to our cabin on deck 10 has no odor.  The only negatives we have experienced were when my husband ordered a diet coke at the comedy show and it was never brought to him.  Also, the laundry room on deck 10 had two dryers out of four out of order.  The numbers were also missing off of a couple of machines.  Other than that, everything has been wonderful for us.

The male and female country singers who performed in the atrium and ocean plaza are very good.  We have only watched one show so far in the theater, which was the Country Show.  That was just average.  Anyway, we are very pleased with this cruise and my husband and I agreed that it is one of the best ones.

We loved the country duo... from the north of england too. Who would think? Manny joined our cruise mid-cruise last week in Belize I think. Much better than who he replaced. Love him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BandBWCsmom said:

It was not the new brunch menu (doesn't appeal to me as not enough of the plain jane stuff - think plain pancakes or normal french toast for the kids). I was glad it had not changed yet. 

Ok thanks, I just saw a picture of a yogurt parfait on the new menu & was looking forward to it.  But the old menu is ok too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Banditswife said:

Ok thanks, I just saw a picture of a yogurt parfait on the new menu & was looking forward to it.  But the old menu is ok too.

There is a yogurt parfait. I could totally be wrong. There was a fruit loop crusted french toast some days and regular with a banana on the others. I might be in vacation fog...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BandBWCsmom said:

We just got back from the Breeze on Saturday. I had recently seen a review or two and was a little nervous 

 

Our experience was great. MarQ as CD really made the whole experience fun. My husband and I did silly dances with the crowds, laughed more than we ever have and really, really had fun. That's the point, right? 

 

Cleanliness: I did *not* see any disgusting bathrooms that were not maintained. One time, one sink had an empty soap dispenser and there was staff en route to that bathroom and I mentioned to her. I saw people cleaning all the time. Early in the morning, the spiral staircase got a full cleaning, walking through the casino they were cleaning everywhere. Hallways all being cleaned constantly. We don't usually do Lido Buffet, but when circumstances required it (overslept MDR breakfast one time) the attendants in the space were constantly clearing tables. We did go to the Mongolian Wok, Blue Iguana, Pizza and Guys'. I never saw giant piles of dirty dishes anywhere. It's important to remember this is a ship on salt water all the time. It's impossible for it to look pristine everywhere with salt air always around. Keep perspective and you won't be disappointed. 

 

Everyone was so nice. Yes, they concentrate on their work. But, I didn't see anyone appear beat down. I went out of my way to say Good Morning or Good Afternoon when passing by those working and I was always responded to in kind and with a smile. 

 

MDR: Our wait staff was so kind to us. We went out of our way to tip them well in addition to prepaid. Ronald, Rolando and Lou knew our sons' drinks the first day and went out of their way to serve us and quickly. Nobody appeared frazzled and everyone definitely knew their role and did it well. The seat coverings in the Blush DR need a steam clean or replaced, but it didn't ruin our vacation. 

 

FTTF: We had purchased FTTF as we travel with small children and appreciate early cabin access. Also, it helps to get all the luggage unpacked before muster/sail away so that the afternoon and evening are all about fun. Well, our luggage didn't arrive until after dinner while the whole hallway was lined with luggage of those that didn't purchase FTTF. I went to guest services and mentioned this. She acknowledged my concern and said she would take to her manager. I made no demands and just said that it was disappointing as paying $89.95 for it and really one of the two perks we buy it for didn't happen. The next morning, we woke to a letter from Guest Services saying that our FTTF fee had been refunded and we could maintain using the perks (priority access to Guest Services, etc). It was above and beyond in terms of resolution and we were very happy. 

 

Food: Not going to rock your world, but one can't expect dining such as a big city, 5 star restaurant when they're serving thousands of people. We weren't impressed enough previously with our steakhouse experience to spend the money to do it again. We did the MDR every night. Actually had some really amazing appetizers. All of the dinners were good. Not great. But with a great app and dessert - who cares? 

 

Waterworks: Kids loved, loved, loved it. I can't imagine my getting them on the Liberty again after their enjoying Waterworks. The slides about killed us old folks, but they must have gone up those stairs and down those slides 100 times per day. 

 

Camp Ocean - I had a Penguin and a Sting Ray. Both boys asked to skip dessert at MDR and go straight to camp. When we picked them up, they would occasionally ask to stay another hour. We used during the day too so we could go onshore in Belize without them and also after spending hours at Waterworks so we could relax by the pool. The kids enjoyed all the activities. Our childcare bill for the week (Night Owls) was about $70. I can spend that at home on one night of babysitter at $14 per hour. 

 

Sewer Smell: Smelled it in some hallways, back of ship on our floor. You walked through and out without issue. Remember, it's not a hotel on a foundation with a buried plumbing system. You're on the water with thousands of people doing their business. If my cabin had stunk, I am sure I'd be less blase about it. In our cruise FB group, I see some complaining about the smell in hallways, but didn't see reports from in cabin. 

 

Cabin: we had a family oceanview stateroom for two reasons: shower in the tub and not get water everywhere (you have two bathrooms) and the 241 square feet for a family of four. Abdul was our steward and was amazing. I noticed lots of people complaining about balcony location, room location, loud under the pool. But, they got room type guarantees. Pick your room based upon a deckplan. You get what you get with a guarantee. Oh, and bring a white noise machine and you can drown out everything. 

 

Our room was warm the first night. Uncomfortably so. Left Abdul a note that Sunday morning requesting a fan and it was there when we returned. Used for the cruise, but our room had cooled off and it was just an added bonus. We had noticed the second day that our room was much cooler. Must have had to do with being in port that first day, doors open for cleaning, etc. Not a problem after. 

 

Piano Bar: Brad was not our favorite. Lots of Elton John (you'll love if that is your go-to). Honestly, didn't think he was that decent of a singer. We only went for a few minutes before a comedy show or when the atrium music or shows were between times. 

 

Deck 5 mid: Found lots of entertaining trivia choices which were nice to do before early dinner and after getting cleaned up from excursions/pool. We were able to relax and enjoy a cocktail before going to dinner. 

 

People: The only rudeness I encountered was from some fellow passengers. That whole concept of let us off the elevator before you get on... lost on some. I just would say, "if you let us off first, there is more room for you to enter" and smile. That seemed to work. We took alot of stairs as that was our exercise! You can't fix stupid though, so don't let them bother you. We just hold our own children accountable for their behavior and we are accountable for ours. 

 

Ask me anything. We had a blast and can't wait to book another. It works well for families with kids. I've been looking at other lines (who doesn't) but hard to find an exact match on kids' activities, comedy (it's our favorite), etc. I think we're staying with Carnival for a while. 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for doing the review, nice to see you had a good time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Thanks  for your review. We had MarQ on the Magic last year and he was great. 


He really is one of the best CDs.  He is all over the ship, interacting with people and making them laugh.  We just watched the Quest this evening.  It's an adult show, so what happens in the Quest stays in the Quest.  LOL. Anyway, MarQ hosted it and it was hilarious.  This one had a surprise and I can't remember laughing so hard.  For people who aren't easily offended, it's a funny show and MarQ does a great job hosting it. MarQ has been entertaining every time I have seen him on the ship so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...