Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
rocklinmom

To refare must your cabin type still be available?

So my sister is still trying to get her TA to refare her IA cabin with 3 For Free. Her IA cabin is a quad for her three kids, across from her and her husband's suite. It is the only quad IA cabin on the ship (Star). The TA says that Princess tells her that there are no IA cabins available on our cruise so she can't get the 3FF promo. There are actually about eighteen IA cabins available on our cruise, except they are all doubles. All I can figure is that because my sister has the only quad IA cabin and obviously there are no more of those available (because there aren't any), this is why she is being told no. Does anyone have any experience with this? I just want to make sure it's not possible for her to get the 3FF for her kids' cabin. 

If your sister booked with a nonrefundable deposit, which I think in most cases cannot be refared. If that is the issue, your sister could have paid a little more for a refundable deposit. If not, then the rest of my comment doesn't apply. My TA automatically books my cruises with refundable deposits so that I can cancel, transfer the booking, or refare without a problem. I have refared the same cabin several times on cruises. For example, I booked a cabin on a cruise through my TA when it became available, refared when the Sip & Sail was offered and refared again for the 3 for Free. The cabins were always booked originally with a FCC refundable deposit, but I had to pay a little more if it was offered with a nonrefundable deposit.I recently transferred a FCC from a cruise that I had booked under Sip and Sail to a cruise that is offering 3 for Free. don't think I could have done that on a nonrefundable deposit. Princess doesn't advertise the option.

I don't think the issue is refundable vs non refundable.

I know that you cannot take advantage of a price drop if there are no cabins left in your exact same cabin type. I would have thought you could refare the same cabin at the same price to take advantage of 3 for Free BUT it may be the same issue-no similar cabins .

When they look at available cabins, they have to type in how many people first. Thus, they are not seeing any more cabins. I think it would be possible but it may take a supervisor. I am also not a TA and am purely guessing. I would escalate this. You have nothing to lose.

Many years ago, I was able to re-fare when my category was full. I haven't tried it since. Others were not able to as their TA said it wasn't possible.

Edited by Coral

I wasn't able to refare due to no available cabins in my category.  There may be some exceptions, but doubtful in your situation.

I just refared under the 'Getaway Sale' promo (50% off second guest) on the Sky but moved from a PH to an OS. Saved $400 in the process. There were no other PH's available and I didn't try a straight refare. 

Edited by john_galt

56 minutes ago, Coral said:

When they look at available cabins, they have to type in how many people first. Thus, they are not seeing any more cabins. I think it would be possible but it may take a supervisor. I am also not a TA and am purely guessing. I would escalate this. You have nothing to lose.

Many years ago, I was able to re-fare when my category was full. I haven't tried it since. Others were not able to as their TA said it wasn't possible.

I think I understand why the recommendation for a supervisor.  A nimble hand ought to make this possible if, for example, there is an open IB for 4 people.  Re-fare under 3FF to the IB.  Then, re-fare back to the IA for 4 people, in the expectation that no one grabs it in the interim.  Do at off hours for North America.  Perhaps a supervisor, realizing this "play" is possible, will authorize a change.  Otherwise, I understand why the sister of the OP is running into a wall.

ETA - Must be cabin C419. 

Edited by steelers36

31 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

I think I understand why the recommendation for a supervisor.  A nimble hand ought to make this possible if, for example, there is an open IB for 4 people.  Re-fare under 3FF to the IB.  Then, re-fare back to the IA for 4 people, in the expectation that no one grabs it in the interim.  Do at off hours for North America.  Perhaps a supervisor, realizing this "play" is possible, will authorize a change.  Otherwise, I understand why the sister of the OP is running into a wall.

And if someone grabs that cabin in that brief window while it's being referred, the sister would be SOL.

I'm in a similar position - there's 1 wheelchair accessible cabin for 3 people on the Caribbean Princess. Once I've booked it - that's it. No referring unless I'm willing to potentially lose that cabin.

12 minutes ago, meatloafsfan said:

And if someone grabs that cabin in that brief window while it's being referred, the sister would be SOL.

I'm in a similar position - there's 1 wheelchair accessible cabin for 3 people on the Caribbean Princess. Once I've booked it - that's it. No referring unless I'm willing to potentially lose that cabin.

I hear you, but there are likely ways with two computer terminals and an agent can grab the one as soon as freed, while working the other.  My main hope was that a supervisor/manager will facilitate the process seeing there is a potential workaround.  I even have a more convoluted idea but won't go into that.

Edited by steelers36

Thank you all! Yes it is indeed cabin C419. I hadn't even thought about the fact that Princess could be going under three passengers instead of two and that's why no IA's would show as available. I didn't realize that to refare a current booking they would have to search at all, or maybe it's how their computer system is set up. 

23 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

I didn't realize that to refare a current booking they would have to search at all, or maybe it's how their computer system is set up. 

Maybe they don't. But when you search for a new cabin, that is the first thing you put in. It is just a thought to escalate it.