Tendering time at Lahaina Maui?

canadarocks

I know that we have to tender to reach Lahaina (Maui) on the Eurodam next year. We're there from 8am-11pm. I've booked a HAL shore excursion that gets back at 2:30pm. I've also reserved two seats independently for the Feast at Lele from 6pm-9pm that evening. I'm assuming that after the HAL excursion we'll have plenty of time to tender back to the ship for a few hours to relax and refresh, before tendering back to Lahaina again for the evening. 

But I know what they say about people who assume...... 😉 

For those who have done the Lahaina tenders, how much time should we allot for returning to the Eurodam that afternoon? And when should we plan on getting a tender later that afternoon to go back for the Feast at Lele that starts at 6pm? And finally, with an 11pm departure.... when will the last tender leave Lahaina to return to the ship?

Or is the tender process so difficult (hopefully not) that should we just plan on staying ashore once we get there that morning???

Edited by canadarocks

58 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

I know that we have to tender to reach Lahaina (Maui) on the Eurodam next year. We're there from 8am-11pm. I've booked a HAL shore excursion that gets back at 2:30pm. I've also reserved two seats independently for the Feast at Lele from 6pm-9pm that evening. I'm assuming that after the HAL excursion we'll have plenty of time to tender back to the ship for a few hours to relax and refresh, before tendering back to Lahaina again for the evening. 

But I know what they say about people who assume...... 😉 

For those who have done the Lahaina tenders, how much time should we allot for returning to the Eurodam that afternoon? And when should we plan on getting a tender later that afternoon to go back for the Feast at Lele that starts at 6pm? And finally, with an 11pm departure.... when will the last tender leave Lahaina to return to the ship?

Or is the tender process so difficult (hopefully not) that should we just plan on staying ashore once we get there that morning???

The only thing that is/can be difficult at Lahaina is the harbormaster who leaves no doubt that this is his operation and his "kingdom," :classic_wink: and is not a fan fav with the captains, staff captains and security officers! It is usually about a 20 min tender ride to and from the anchorage.Shore-side security runs the screening operation for returning pax/crew at the head of the pier. If you get back on the ship from your tour by 3:00 PM, I would be back on a tender by 5:00-5:15 PM heading ashore for your feast. It can get crowded for returns towards the late afternoon/early evening when multiple ship shorex tours are returning simultaneously (think the Luau groups) Last tender will be one hour prior to ship departure.

Image may contain: sky, ocean, boat, outdoor and water

Image may contain: sky, ocean, cloud, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Edited by Copper10-8

We had rough seas on our last tender ride to Maui.  At least one man actually fell coming down the stairs on the second story of the tender.

We'd planned to go out again, but decided against it after our first trip, and took the loss of shore excursion tickets.

Edited by knittinggirl

2 hours ago, knittinggirl said:

We had rough seas on our last tender ride to Maui.  At least one man actually fell coming down the stairs on the second story of the tender.

We'd planned to go out again, but decided against it after our first trip, and took the loss of shore excursion tickets.

@knittinggirl

what month were you there? Did anyone remark how unusual those conditions were? I will be traveling there in October, and though I know conditions can be different, would be interested in knowing a bit more about your visit. Thank you for sharing.

We were on the Eurodam this past November 2018. At the end of our day ashore, we had stopped to have drinks and appetizers at the Pioneer Inn and Grill.  I'm not sure of the time that we went back but it was dark by then. Just after our tender ride, the seas changed contrary to the wind making it difficult for the tenders to come alongside. It was a condition rarely seen according to the crew members. That shutdown the tendering operation for about an hour. Some band members for the B.B. King show ended up being stranded on shore during this time, cancelling their first set.

I recommend the daily Navigation talks while underway as that is how I learned about the previous evenings's tendering problem. They have daily prizes as well.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

Hmmm.....you're making we wonder if I am risking it booking the Feast at Lele?

The last tender was stowed just after 2230 and then we were on our way. Independent tours are risky at times. Just remember that the ship can sail even without the Master. The only officer that it cannot sail without is the doctor.

There was a passenger that came close three out of our five ports of being left behind. Lahaina was the closest call.

1 hour ago, Heartgrove said:

The last tender was stowed just after 2230 and then we were on our way. Independent tours are risky at times. Just remember that the ship can sail even without the Master. The only officer that it cannot sail without is the doctor.

There was a passenger that came close three out of our five ports of being left behind. Lahaina was the closest call.

You are correct; there needs to be a doctor onboard however, a heads up: there are always two doctors on a HAL ship and they can't both be off the ship at the same time. One is dedicated to passengers, while the other worries about crew. They support each other during medical emergencies, as do the two-three (depending on class of ship) nurses 

• Like 2

Copper 10-8 is spot on about the harbormaster running things in Lahaina. While we love Hawaii and Maui is our favorite island, you are "just another tourist" to many of the locals. There is a small harbor in Lahaina and local boats, no matter how small, get equal consideration. Be prepared to wait outside the harbor until a small skiff or rowboat passes by. The tenders dock at the same place as the inter island ferry and it takes precedence over the tenders. Allow plenty of time to get on the island and be aware of the ferry schedule.

• Thanks 2