Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
NJ&Ozzie

Can you get Himalayan Pinks Salts on ships?

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

Just wondering - can you get anything beyond regular iodized salt on ships?   Would they have Himalayan Pink Salts?  Considering bringing my own.

Thanks!

NJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring your own to be on the safe side. I've never actually seen it on board, but you never know. Bring yours, but ask them if they have it, I'd be curious to find out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not in regular dining venues.  I know one of the specialty used to have different salts with one course, but I think I read they don't anymore.   If you want them for regular meals, then, yeah, bring your own.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BND said:

Not in regular dining venues.  I know one of the specialty used to have different salts with one course, but I think I read they don't anymore.   If you want them for regular meals, then, yeah, bring your own.

 

Please tell me that 150 Central Park still offers the different salts at the bread service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Just curious.....why?:classic_huh:

 

The Himalayan Pink Salts has more minerals, etc. than regular salt.  Unrefined, unprocessed.  Also, the taste of the pink salt is much more subtle.   Use it at home all the time.  

NJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Please tell me that 150 Central Park still offers the different salts at the bread service.

No idea because we've never eaten there, but vaguely remember reading something about it in the last couple of months.  I could be remembering incorrectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt very much they have it on the ships so would bring your own. However, taste your food before you add it. We had a number of meals spoiled on our recent cruises because they were just too salty - particularly annoying when paying extra in Speciality restaurants.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Please tell me that 150 Central Park still offers the different salts at the bread service.

Went there on Symphony back in January and they no longer have the salts. Also it was no longer the six course small portion menu. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I doubt very much they have it on the ships so would bring your own. However, taste your food before you add it. We had a number of meals spoiled on our recent cruises because they were just too salty - particularly annoying when paying extra in Speciality restaurants.

 

Thanks - good advice.  Will do.  It's always different cooking things yourself at home when you know what's been added already.

Looks like we're bringing our own supply!!  Thanks all.

NJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 150 Central Park used to have a dish with six or eight different kinds of salts. Within the last six or eight months when we dined there it seems to be discontinued.  The dish itself is very pretty it looked like flower petals, and the different salts were interesting to try. 

 

 As for regularly in any of the other restaurants, the answer would be NO. 

 

M

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

Just curious.....why?:classic_huh:

of course, there is a distinct flavour not found in regular salt. Also, the pink salt has more iron oxide content in it, which provides added iron to the diet and is beneficial for those who may be anemic. That's where the colour comes from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like that salt go for it, but it's really just over priced salt.  The "extra minerals" are such minimal traces they are irrelevant.   Easy to research on google.

 

But it is pretty:classic_tongue:

 

 

 

 

Edited by bouhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

 

The Himalayan Pink Salts has more minerals, etc. than regular salt.  Unrefined, unprocessed.  Also, the taste of the pink salt is much more subtle.   Use it at home all the time.  

NJ 

 

3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

of course, there is a distinct flavour not found in regular salt. Also, the pink salt has more iron oxide content in it, which provides added iron to the diet and is beneficial for those who may be anemic. That's where the colour comes from.

I've used it and found the taste no different from "regular" salt.  Any salt is about 98% sodium chloride, leaving +/-2% for trace elements such as iron.  Really not a significant amount.  But I guess if you like it and don't mind carrying a salt grinder around the ship, then more power to you.

 

Never mind the fact that the food will already have been prepared with non-pink salt...how much more do you really add at the table? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 3CatsInMA said:

 

I've used it and found the taste no different from "regular" salt.  Any salt is about 98% sodium chloride, leaving +/-2% for trace elements such as iron.  Really not a significant amount.  But I guess if you like it and don't mind carrying a salt grinder around the ship, then more power to you.

 

Never mind the fact that the food will already have been prepared with non-pink salt...how much more do you really add at the table? 😁

Good points to consider, I never gave it that much thought before, especially your last sentence. To me, the taste actually is different, probably like how sea salt has a different sensation than regular table salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

 

I've used it and found the taste no different from "regular" salt.  Any salt is about 98% sodium chloride, leaving +/-2% for trace elements such as iron.  Really not a significant amount.  But I guess if you like it and don't mind carrying a salt grinder around the ship, then more power to you.

 

Never mind the fact that the food will already have been prepared with non-pink salt...how much more do you really add at the table? 😁

Appreciate the input!  Will watch for the pre-salting for sure.

Cheers,

NJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnjen said:

Good points to consider, I never gave it that much thought before, especially your last sentence. To me, the taste actually is different, probably like how sea salt has a different sensation than regular table salt.

To each his own....I'm really not trying to be critical of anybody's preferences.  We all know how subjective food is. As I said...just curious about the question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, PCWalton1 said:

Went there on Symphony back in January and they no longer have the salts. Also it was no longer the six course small portion menu. 

 

Now that makes me sad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

To each his own....I'm really not trying to be critical of anybody's preferences.  We all know how subjective food is. As I said...just curious about the question. 

I had this vision of seeing more guests coming to tables sporting their own salt grinders and got a good laugh from that....what also is an interesting thought though is how salt comes with an expiration date - if you have even the slightest background in Geology, that's a good laugh in itself 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Don't forget the big pepper grinder to😉

Actually, just to be more clear about this.  We don't want anyone having nightmares!!  We do not intend to bring a salt grinder to the dining room table.   It's only for use in our stateroom & perhaps certain times in the WJ.   I have low blood pressure - find the salt in my water helps to regulate that & also helps to keep us hydrated.  As I said the pink salt is less intense & has a more subtle salt taste.

NJ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJ&Ozzie said:

Appreciate the input!  Will watch for the pre-salting for sure.

Cheers,

NJ 

Most EVERYTHING  will be heavily pre-salted unless you ask for a salt free/ lower sodium diet while on the cruise.  ( you look at the menu and select your meal for the next night).   I am salt  sensitive and find that they can prepare a few items without added salt, however the best thing for me is to simply ask for the entree’ to be served without any sauce.  That way I don’t have to make a special request, and eliminating the sauce helps me a lot. 

 

M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bring your crock pot, instant pot, air fryer, George Forman grill.  The blender fits in my backpack and has room for my Krazy Janes mixed up seasonings.   Turns out just like being at home, but seasick!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 3CatsInMA said:

 

I've used it and found the taste no different from "regular" salt.  Any salt is about 98% sodium chloride, leaving +/-2% for trace elements such as iron.  Really not a significant amount.  But I guess if you like it and don't mind carrying a salt grinder around the ship, then more power to you.

 

Never mind the fact that the food will already have been prepared with non-pink salt...how much more do you really add at the table? 😁

Back when 150 CP had the 6 different salts there was definitely a distinct taste to each of the different salts and most definitely each was very different from ordinary table salt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...