Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
gmbhardy

Upgrade Question

When you upgrade your cabin to a higher category (BD to H5) to you keep all your perks, specifically your OBC.

8 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

When you upgrade your cabin to a higher category (BD to H5) to you keep all your perks, specifically your OBC.

If you are paying for an upgrade, usually you get that level perks .  If you are bidding you keep the original level you had.  To be certain call NCL

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

You are either bidding for an upgrade or upgrading by changing your reservation prior to final payment. 

If you are bidding, you keep all of your original perks. 

If you are changing your original reservation and paying for the higher class cabin, you get the perks in effect at the time of rebooking. 

Here’s my situation. The cruise is past final payment. I was hoping to upgrade to a H5 from a BD. My TA called and was told the upgrade would be $$$ but I would loose $100 of OBC. This OBC was a special, somewhat obscure,  promotion whereby if you used two CruiseNext certificates to book a cruise you received $100 of OBC. I used two certificates to book my BD so I received the $100.  My TA spoke to a manager but they refused to honour it. On principle I declined the upgrade. We are Platinum Plus and cruise six or seven times a year, mostly on NCL. We have seven future cruises booked, three in the Haven. Don’t understand why they would take such a hard line on something like this. If the manager thought they were saving the company money I think they might want to rethink their strategy. We also cruise the YC on MSC and I think they might be seeing more of us in the future. I know it’s only $100 but the decision they made shows me they could care less about my business.

Sounds like they were doing you favor, letting you make changes after final payment for only the difference in cost. However, the $100 OBC promo is no longer valid so they aren't able to apply that anymore. 

Agreed;   after a price drop for an upcoming Breakaway sailing we opted to 'ask' for an upgrade to a mini-suite with a large balcony.   Even though it was an increase in revenue for NCL, we did have to accept the reduction in OBC.  Overall we thought the 'value' (very much in the eye of the beholder) in paying for the upgrade was better than the alternative of the 25% of the price reduction in OBC.   

11 hours ago, CookieShip said:

Sounds like they were doing you favor, letting you make changes after final payment for only the difference in cost. However, the $100 OBC promo is no longer valid so they aren't able to apply that anymore. 

NCL was doing me a favour? I was willing to upgrade at a cost that was almost double my original payment. What I don’t understand is if you pay full freight for an upgrade you can’t transfer perks that are no longer valid but if you win an upgrade through the bidding process at a reduced rate (sometimes substantial) you can keep all your perks. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

2 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

NCL was doing me a favour? I was willing to upgrade at a cost that was almost double my original payment. What I don’t understand is if you pay full freight for an upgrade you can’t transfer perks that are no longer valid but if you win an upgrade through the bidding process at a reduced rate (sometimes substantial) you can keep all your perks. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

That is their policy. You're basically making a new booking, but they aren't penalizing you because it's an upgrade/more revenue for them. However, the promo you had is no longer active so they can't apply it. The promo/perks are meant to be limited time, even if they seem to have the same perks all the time... 

You could try the bidding process to upgrade, that is just not necessarily guaranteed even if you put in a good bid and you don't get to select which cabin you end up in even if you do win.