Cruise Critic Community

What I have observed over the years on both Royal and Celebrity, is that many people do not particiapte in any dress code.  Seems like they just dress as they please, regardless of what is suggested.

My DH and I enjoy dressing up for formal nights and most nights tend to dress up rather then down-  But some people just want a carry on or other small piece of luggage, so they do not bring any formal or semi-formal clothes-  Guess it works for them. Not for me however.

1 hour ago, Cruise a holic said:

What I have observed over the years on both Royal and Celebrity, is that many people do not particiapte in any dress code.  Seems like they just dress as they please, regardless of what is suggested.

My DH and I enjoy dressing up for formal nights and most nights tend to dress up rather then down-  But some people just want a carry on or other small piece of luggage, so they do not bring any formal or semi-formal clothes-  Guess it works for them. Not for me however.

We do the same.

My wife loves dressing up so I compliment her by dressing smartly too. Seems to me inconsiderate of husbands/partners not to. I get serious "Brownie points" too from the wife. What others choose to wear doesn't bother us in the slightest. 

22 hours ago, dswallow said:

However, in lieu of know about there being formal nights, I really wish they'd let people know what special events are planned for each sailing. Knowing about "caribbean night" or color nights like wearing white or red would really be a plus. I consider it pointless to be doing some of those without having let guests know before they boarded about them.

This exactly. 

Not to stir the pot but would like to put it out there that for some of us, the Windjammer is not an option.  I have a life threatening food allergy.  I'm not going to be able to forgo the MDR if I don't feel like putting on a ball gown. 

Maybe an option would be to host a nominal upcharge formal night in one of the specialty restaurants or do a free formal reception, like before dinner.  For that event, enforce the dress code, do candlelight, have fru fru cocktail and Champagne specials, violinists or whatever, set up the photo area, etc.  That way people who want that experience can have it and people who don't aren't regulated to the buffet that evening.  Dressy people get their formal night without forcing everyone to participate.  No? 

On 9/13/2019 at 7:00 AM, birdylady said:

Loving this thread for a number of comments.  But my first thought about the chainmail dresses were, gotta wonder how heavy the luggage was. 

Erika

I had also wondered that, but he didn't say.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:30 AM, LESLIEKURZ said:

Not to stir the pot but would like to put it out there that for some of us, the Windjammer is not an option.  I have a life threatening food allergy.  I'm not going to be able to forgo the MDR if I don't feel like putting on a ball gown. 

Maybe an option would be to host a nominal upcharge formal night in one of the specialty restaurants or do a free formal reception, like before dinner.  For that event, enforce the dress code, do candlelight, have fru fru cocktail and Champagne specials, violinists or whatever, set up the photo area, etc.  That way people who want that experience can have it and people who don't aren't regulated to the buffet that evening.  Dressy people get their formal night without forcing everyone to participate.  No? 

Ball gown? Haven't seen one of them on a cruise ship in years. Formal clothing isn't required anymore in the MDR and the few that do dress formal don't seem to voice their opinion about others not dressing the same. Yes, on a dress code thread they may be vocal but the reality is I have only heard complaints of food and service on board the ship. As far as an up charge for a formal event the only participation I foresee is on a complaint thread that someone starts on Cruise Critic.

Edited by Iamcruzin