Cruise Critic Community
Carol28

Dock at Sydney, Halifax, Charlottetown

I was wondering if Hurricane Dorian hurt the docking areas in Canada. I read on FB that these ports might need to be accessed by tenders.  Does anyone have any information about these ports?  We sail October 9.

We are tendering at Charlottetown tomorrow but that is because there are three ships in port.  That was how it was going to be before the hurricane, according to the cruise schedule. We missed Sydney because of Dorian and we were in Halifax just before Dorian so I can't report on either of those ports, post Dorian.  I will try to report back tomorrow about Charlottetown.

14 hours ago, Carol28 said:

I was wondering if Hurricane Dorian hurt the docking areas in Canada. I read on FB that these ports might need to be accessed by tenders.  Does anyone have any information about these ports?  We sail October 9.

I was just on the "Ports" board and there was damage to the ports but the ships were stopping again yesterday and today.  Quite a bit of damage to Peggy's Cove and Halifax but up and running now.  By October you should be fine.  There was not the devastation that the Bahamas received and not to lesser the damage done in the Atlantic Provinces, but the resources available in Canada compared to the Bahamas makes things get fixed a lot faster.

The port facilities are fine in Charlottetown.  There are three ships in port, the largest of which is docked.  The other two are anchored in the harbour with a very short tender ride.  The terminal has a few vendor stalls in it.  If I didn't know better, I wouldn't know there had been a hurricane here a few days ago.

There is some work being done in the harbour.  I don't know if that's ongoing work or post hurricane issues.

We are on the next Zuiderdam cruise in Canada and the only ports that were to be tender ports were Newport, RI. Since I use a scooter in port, and don't think I can take it on a tender, I am trying to find out which ports we will be tendering in.Besides calling HAL and speaking to an agent who might not have the correct info, does anyone know another way to get this information?

Edited by mamaofami

According to our HAL contract, changes to ports or tendering can be made at any time. I've been told my light weight scooter can be taken on the tender.

49 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

We are on the next Zuiderdam cruise in Canada and the only ports that were to be tender ports were Newport, RI. Since I use a scooter in port, and don't think I can take it on a tender, I am trying to find out which ports we will be tendering in.Besides calling HAL and speaking to an agent who might not have the correct info, does anyone know another way to get this information?

I've gotten the most reliable information from the port schedule.  For the current Zuiderdam sailing, we were to tender in Sydney and Charlottetown according to the port schedules.  HAL never advised us of either.  We'll never know about Sydney since the port call was cancelled.

If you're in Charlottetown on the 19th, the Zuiderdam will be tendering.  http://portcharlottetown.com/cruise/cruise-schedule/

Edited by Alberta Quilter

32 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I've gotten the most reliable information from the port schedule.  For the current Zuiderdam sailing, we were to tender in Sydney and Charlottetown according to the port schedules.  HAL never advised us of either.  We'll never know about Sydney since the port call was cancelled.

If you're in Charlottetown on the 19th, the Zuiderdam will be tendering.  http://portcharlottetown.com/cruise/cruise-schedule/

Thanks, I've been looking at those sites myself. Yes, Zuiderdam will tender in PEI and dock in Halifax. Thanks.