Dear Celebrity, you really don't want us in our staterooms, do you?

the_dylaness

It was the new Suite Retreat on the very top deck that I could not get to.  With the refurbishment, it was added at the front of the ship.  Because the existing outdoor stairway up to that area is very curvy and long, they had to add an elevator to provide access for suite guests.  It is a small outdoor glass elevator, but when I asked why it was closed, I was told that it had not worked in quite a while and was not fixable.  No plans to find a solution, I was told with a shrug.  I have knee issues, so never got up there, as coming down is harder than going up.  

I have no idea what the status of this elevator is on the other refurbed ships.   My husband went up there to take photos at Hubbard Glacier and said he was the only one up there.  But it is surrounded by glass, so not necessarily an easy spot for photos....he managed. 

• Like 1

We usually take a laptop to outdoor table and work as we almost always have to do a bit of on vacation. That little side table is awful. While one can watch a movie on a laptop I think it’s crazy it can’t easily be put on the TV which is quite nice on the Edge. What a waste to take away a movie amenity and not give some alternative. I like the idea of the big screen outside but only made one. The timing, the weather, the crowd can interfere with that idea,

and does.

Just now, Iamcruzin said:

I think that ended the second she left. 

Although her influence in  the "New" Celebrity is profound, changes began before her move to X.

The one change that I couldn't understand was the elimination of a slightly larger stateroom and veranda in Concierge class when the new S class ships hit the water.

We always booked Concierge just for the small amount of space both in and out of the stateroom. The other little perks were ok but not why we chose C category.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trishtoro said:

Can I ask a question about room service? I’ve seen it mentioned several times on CC that there isn’t a table to enjoy your room service on.

When I order room service at a hotel, they wheel a table in which is set with my meal.

How is it presented on the Celebrity cruises?  I’m hoping to order a light breakfast super early on port days....

I’m in a sky suite and see I at least have a coffee table...

Here is our coffee table from our sky suite on the Edge March of 2019. We were the lucky ones. As our butler only had one tv tray.

IMG_20190305_142125093.jpg

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DiamondDiva said:

It was the new Suite Retreat on the very top deck that I could not get to.  With the refurbishment, it was added at the front of the ship.  Because the existing outdoor stairway up to that area is very curvy and long, they had to add an elevator to provide access for suite guests.  It is a small outdoor glass elevator, but when I asked why it was closed, I was told that it had not worked in quite a while and was not fixable.  No plans to find a solution, I was told with a shrug.  I have knee issues, so never got up there, as coming down is harder than going up.  

I have no idea what the status of this elevator is on the other refurbed ships.   My husband went up there to take photos at Hubbard Glacier and said he was the only one up there.  But it is surrounded by glass, so not necessarily an easy spot for photos....he managed. 

I am sorry I caught my error after the editing deadline. I knew you had suite access but the other part of what you paid for, the retreat was inaccessible.

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

😂 We are Elite plus and also never used or cared for all the things above. Incl. the laundry service although we only do long cruises. On the contrary, we avoid the social hours. 

Believe it or not, some people are actually just happy with the travel experience alone.

I must have done a poor job making making my point. Which means, Celebrity might cut something you are interested in.

Here is a catchy tune that sums up your post: It’s all about ME, ME, ME!

Happy Travels,

shaco

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiamondDiva said:

Interesting. I sailed on the Summit in July 2017 with my mother who was wheelchair dependent. When we attempted to access activities on the upper decks we were informed that the elevator was broken, had been for awhile and no telling when this would be fixed. I submitted feedback cards while on ship and also on the post cruise survey and never heard from anyone on this matter. I'm surprised to learn that this same type of elevator exists, never mind is broken, on one of the newly refurbished ships. The retreat wasn't at play during our cruise, but I would have made a bigger issue of this had I paid for the retreat and then couldn't access this area.  

Edited by kathynorth

All kinds of things like what the OP said is happening throughout the Cruise Industry.

We sail with HAL, Princess, MSC and Celebrity and all those lines are constantly  cutting costs. HAL's has trimmed down their entertainment budget, Princess has cut down on their food budget. MSC has never had free movies in the cabin but they have not cut back like other cruises. What is going on is becoming the norm and our only recourse is to not cruise but that is something at this point we are not ready to do. What we do is find the best deal we can find for the time of the year that we want to cruise, right now we are taking 3 cruises a year, on the first of December, March and August. Like I said whoever comes up with the best price of the 4 lines I mentioned gets my business. We only sail in the Caribbean as we hate flying and the Itinerary has no bearing for us, the ship is the destination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted this in the other thread about the end of free movies, but wasn't sure how to quote it here, so I'm just pasting it in...

We used to sail exclusively on Royal. Then we took a Celebrity cruise, loved it, and started sailing mostly on Celebrity's Solstice class.

When others have asked us to compare Royal, and Celebrity, we always said, the entertainment on Royal was better, but, it was the little things that made Celebrity special.

The pads on the deck chairs, instead of the vinyl straps on Royal. 

The included Mast Grill, on the pool deck, so you could grab something in a wet swimsuit (Remember when Celebrity tried to charge for this?).

The Martini Bar (Don't care for the new Edge Class Martini Bar).

The 14 night Southern Caribbean cruises (Alas- No More), and

We always mentioned the free, on-Demand, movies, that you could start, stop, and resume later. While on some Royal ships, there was a movie channel, there wasn't a guide available, and you never knew what was on and when. On Celebrity, we would start a movie before going to bed, watch a little bit, and continue over multiple nights. It was a nice relaxing way to end the day.

The end of the free movies is disappointing. If they are planning on using the showing of these movies to replace paying for entertainers, that will also be disappointing. I know for years both Royal and Celebrity's Cruise Directors have boasted about how they support live entertainment.

Little by little, the little things that made Celebrity different are being taken away, and the prices have been rising. The games with the Perks and Non-Refundable deposits, have made us start to look at other lines, where in the past, we wouldn't have considered it. We booked a number of future cruises while on-board, and have stopped doing that, so we can take time to consider other lines. We know things can't stay the same forever, and I know that this is why Celebrity is targeting new cruisers, as they have little to compare to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shaco said:

Here is a catchy tune that sums up your post: It’s all about ME, ME, ME!

Which means, Celebrity might cut something you are interested in.

If that was supposed to touch me in any way, you should actually find a tune that doesn‘t match just about everyone posting here including yourself.

Everyone assumes his perceptions are accurate and applicable to anybody. Everyone thinks his priorities are the highest.

FYI: if Celebrity should cut something I really care for or just loose its appeal, we will simply look for a different cruise line. Without drama here or any expectation that they would change just for me. We are not forced to cruise with them. 

If we don’t find a better alternative, Celebrity can’t be that bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DiamondDiva said:

Currently on Equinox.  There is NO elevator access to the Retreat Sun Deck.  So I paid for something I was unable to use.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Currently on Equinox.  There is NO elevator access to the Retreat Sun Deck.  So I paid for something I was unable to use.

That would make me extremely angry. X brags about accessibility on their website but in reality doesn’t seem to care when things aren’t accessible for customers. 

Neither of you missed anything up at the Retreat Sun Deck.  Even though it is glass enclosed for some reason the wind just whips all around when the ship is in motion - it was always freezing up there because of the wind (and this was on a cruise to Bermuda!) while at the same time you were baking in the sun because there was no shade (these are not contradictory statements, you can get your worst sunburns skiing, for example).  We went once for sailaway and could not sip our champagne because the wind kept blowing my hair into my mouth, and another time, while the ship was docked, we went up for lunch and it was so cold the waiter had to bring me a blanket to wrap around myself.  There are a few cabana-type pods to sit in but they were the only things that were always occupied.

And Michaels Club is such a joke now - no one was ever in there, all the furniture is so uncomfortable (ridiculous toadstools to sit on) and it is so bright - the dark, old English look of the old MC was so inviting.

I just wish LPP would go away and enjoy her golden parachute before she ruins everything.  And speaking of her "answers" on her dedicated area - what a joke.  Telling people to ask their room stewards for footstools and furniture they need - how unfair to those poor workers.  She is the modern day Marie Antoinette - "Let them eat cake!".

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, warmwinds said:

Neither of you missed anything up at the Retreat Sun Deck.  Even though it is glass enclosed for some reason the wind just whips all around when the ship is in motion - it was always freezing up there because of the wind (and this was on a cruise to Bermuda!) while at the same time you were baking in the sun because there was no shade (these are not contradictory statements, you can get your worst sunburns skiing, for example).  We went once for sailaway and could not sip our champagne because the wind kept blowing my hair into my mouth, and another time, while the ship was docked, we went up for lunch and it was so cold the waiter had to bring me a blanket to wrap around myself.  There are a few cabana-type pods to sit in but they were the only things that were always occupied.

And Michaels Club is such a joke now - no one was ever in there, all the furniture is so uncomfortable (ridiculous toadstools to sit on) and it is so bright - the dark, old English look of the old MC was so inviting.

I just wish LPP would go away and enjoy her golden parachute before she ruins everything.  And speaking of her "answers" on her dedicated area - what a joke.  Telling people to ask their room stewards for footstools and furniture they need - how unfair to those poor workers.  She is the modern day Marie Antoinette - "Let them eat cake!".

20 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Yes, it’s in Port Douglas, Australia.  We went through Airbnb, but here’s the link to the overall complex.  Friends stayed there last year and just raved. We absolutely LOVE Port Douglas and if you want access to the Reef, this is the spot. 

https://www.niramaya.com.au/

It looks fabulous. You’ll love Port Douglas - we did many moons ago 😉.

24 minutes ago, villauk said:

It looks fabulous. You’ll love Port Douglas - we did many moons ago 😉.

Yes, this is our third time there.  We loved our previous rental but the owner sold it :(  so time to try somewhere new.   It's only 4 nights here but should be great.  Our last two trips to Port Douglas were a total of 15 nights, so we're good with only 4.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Looks like a TV table from the 60's. :classic_rolleyes:

That looks like the same useless " sofa"  we had in AQ class on Edge.  Low to the ground, basically armless, scratchy material, many Hoppen Pillows.

Because  our tv was across from the bed and did not swivel, could not  sit or lounge on the sofa to watch TV.   No matter now as the free movies are GONE 

You know, I feel like every amenity, whether large or small counts for someone.  As they're taking many of the small ones away one by one, what additional ones are they providing us in return?  It's frustrating to continue to pay more for any less.  I personally don't really care about movies, but love to sit on the balcony, read, and look out on the ocean.  Having a less comfortable chair and no footstool out there to do this diminishes my enjoyment of their product.  I don't want to have to pack a beach ball to use as a footstool, or get creative with where to put my room service breakfast.  And, with the upcoming prices for Europe (where we want to cruise next) we're going to look at other options.  Guess we all have other options!  

• Like 5