Cruise Critic Community
hcat

Did Celebrity do a Sept 11th Memorial on your cruise?

Today is the 18th year since 9 11.  A sad day for many of us that we will never forget.

We cruised the following year on that date, and our Royal C  ship's Captain gave a heartfelt & touching memorial broadcast  throughout the ship,  and  led a moment of silence.  It was  observed and appreciated by  those who were on board. 

Just curious if anyone else has experienced a memorial or remembrance onboard???

(Photo is 9 11 Memorial at Bayonne Port)

878BDC23-0F80-4E0B-9ABE-C2512DB42F01.thumb.jpeg.00728ec10f3b3b1d4103de3c0ba28639.jpeg.jpg

Better view of the Tear Drop ...seeing that and Lady Liberty, and then the Bridge,  makes the Bayonne Sailway very special...

Looking foward to it again in Summit!

(Photos are not copyrighted and were recentky shared by another CC member )

th.jpeg-3.jpg

Nothing on Reflection.  But there have been so many terrorist acts, it would be difficult to note them all.  Yes that is the most meaningful one to Americans. But there were the bombings in Istanbul, terrorist attacks in London, New Zealand, Norway, synagogue attack in Pittsburgh, marathoners murdered in Boston, children killed in Norway camp attack, so much sadness.....

Edited by cruisestitch

Thanks, hcat, love the picture. I haven't seen it in person.

We cruised on 9/11 a couple of years ago, but it was disembarkation day and in Rome - no mention of it. I always hate to fly on that date .... 

We did one on the Summit a few years back 2016 and many passengers complained that Capt Kate made a mention of God or something about it being a religious service and it offended them.  

Happy Cruising  🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

435C49C4-DD23-462D-A8E3-E7B3097EA337.jpeg

7CE68910-1E7E-494C-B1E5-C311E8DBDD7F.jpeg

BB60109A-2BFE-4CEA-890E-FE7EC2EBB945.jpeg

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Nothing on Reflection.  But there have been so many terrorist acts, it would be difficult to note them all.  Yes that is the most meaningful one to Americans. But there were the bombings in Istanbul, terrorist attacks in London, New Zealand, Norway, synagogue attack in Pittsburgh, marathoners murdered in Boston, children killed in Norway camp attack, so much sadness.....

Yes it is still meaningful to us Americans.  Maybe September 11 or some other day should be set aside worldwide to have a Remembrance Day for all terrorist attack victims and their families.  

27 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes it is still meaningful to us Americans.  Maybe September 11 or some other day should be set aside worldwide to have a Remembrance Day for all terrorist attack victims and their families.  

This is a brilliant  idea..Wonder if the UN  would sponsor that....,? Is there already a World Peace Day?

Of course 9 11  is always a gut wrenching day here.  Everyone recalls where they were, just like the day  on which JFK was assassinated

Living in NY,  we lost people we knew,   and  people who worked to help rescue  or search for remains also dying too young!

Never Forget!

Edited by hcat

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Is there already a World Peace Day?

Yes there is. It's Sept 21, and was established by unanimous vote by the UN in 1981. 

There is no doubt Sept 11 is a meaningful date for Americans, but other dates hold more significance to citizens of other countries. 

We are on the Summit right now. It’s a port day for us — Portland, Maine. With so many people off the ship, I don’t think anything was done on board. But the flags are at half staff in the city.  It doesn’t seem possible that it’s been 18 years. 

1 hour ago, calicakes said:

Today is actually Patriot Day. 

Some great Patriots prevented further tragedy by sacrificing themselves on the plane headed to DC. 

Watched the reading of the names  today...prayers go out to all the families still in mourning !

8 hours ago, hcat said:

This is a brilliant  idea..Wonder if the UN  would sponsor that....,? Is there already a World Peace Day?

Of course 9 11  is always a gut wrenching day here.  Everyone recalls where they were, just like the day  on which JFK was assassinated

Living in NY,  we lost people we knew,   and  people who worked to help rescue  or search for remains also dying too young!

Never Forget!

Yes, hcat ,very well said. 

We are natives of NYC and we have yet to visit the 911Memorial or the Freedom tower. Too any memories of that day and neighbors lost.

However, I happened to read a recent review posted on the NCL board by Shadowmeboy that included many fine photos and a video of the site. He,his wife and friends visited the memorial during a post cruise visit to the City. 

I was grateful for his photos and video as they presented a good documentation of what the memorial looked like and entailed. 

As a fellow New Yorker,you may want to take a look at his postings.

We will ever forget that day. I found myself that morning  in a 2nd grade classroom trying to explain the events happening and giving support to my young students after our Superintendent shared the news on the school’s PA system.

My husband began getting calls concerning the safety and whereabouts of neighbors who worked at the Trade Center. A difficult day and a difficult time. 

9/11 is also my husband’s birthday. Since 2001, any celebration he chooses is low key and quiet. Although he is grateful to be given eighteen years that others were robbed of,it is a day of remembrance for us and of lives we knew being taken too soon.

What a beautiful post 

Yes, too painful to visit ...but we hope to someday. 

Hope your husband had a happy birthday...maybe Celebrate on the 12th if the 11th is difficult.

Edited by hcat

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

We are on the Summit right now. It’s a port day for us — Portland, Maine. With so many people off the ship, I don’t think anything was done on board. But the flags are at half staff in the city.  It doesn’t seem possible that it’s been 18 years. 

An update: just before our 6pm sailaway, Captain Matt asked for a moment of silence in honor of the 9/11 heroes, after which he read a very moving quote from Nelson Mandela about having to learn to hate and learning to love. 

31 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

An update: just before our 6pm sailaway, Captain Matt asked for a moment of silence in honor of the 9/11 heroes, after which he read a very moving quote from Nelson Mandela about having to learn to hate and learning to love. 

When we die there is no longer hope, or faith, because or hope and faith are gone there will be  love.  

Jesus Christ always talked about love.  His 2 greatest commandments are about love.

John Lennon was no Jesus Christ but he always promoted love, and he was shot by some idiot.

Rev Martin Luther King promoted love and he was shot by some idiot.

Why are so many opposed to loving everyone that they have to kill the person asking everyone to do it?

Why can’t people understand or realize that the world would be a lot better with love for everyone instead of hate?

All of our problems today are because someone doesn’t  agree with our beliefs, like our origin,  and etc.  

If offended anyone that so be it.   And that proves my post.   

Happy cruising  🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

Post  (excerpt) by ChicagoPaul from his live Transpacific  blog ..Millenium...9 11  emphasis in bold  by me..very lovely!

"Today is obviously September 11th and 18 years since the infamous attacks. Celebrity held a moment of silence at 10am on board and had the American flag hanging in the grand foyer this morning which I thought was a nice respectful touch. It’s just another reminder that tomorrow is not promised for any of us andhow important it is for us to appreciate what we have and those around us. The fact that we even woke up this morning means we have it far better than many. "

Edited by hcat