Cruise Critic Community
emen822

Looking for help from some Texans!

My sisters and I are cruising in February on the Liberty of the Seas.  We don't yet have our flights booked but are 99% sure we are flying into IAH and not HOU.  That being said, we are looking to stay in the Humble area since Galveston is having Mardi Gras during the same week as our cruise.  Two questions:  Is Humble a good choice (safe?)?   From the looks of the map, it seems there are lots of places nearby that we could walk to eat.  My next question is getting to the port the next day.  I know there are several shuttles who pick up at the airport and go to the pier but does anyone know of any shuttles that will pick you up at the hotel where you are staying?  Just wondering if we will need to go back to the airport in the morning to catch a shuttle.

Thanks for your help!

Mary

There are many hotels on JFK Blvd near IAH (Sheraton, Doubletree, Marriott, "Comforts") depending on your budget. There are also another group of similar hotel properties with addresses on the North Sam Houston Tollway. Many offer complimentary transportation from the IAH terminals to the hotel. There is also a Marriott hotel on the airport property, between the terminals at IAH that is connected to the terminals by a complimentary people-mover.

As for transportation choices IAH-Galveston port-IAH, there are quite a few similar threads on this board that discuss the many transfer opportunities. If you are comfortable with Uber or Lyft, both will pick up at the hotel and drive to the port; average fare IAH hotels-Galveston port is $75 +/- per car/each way, with an estimated 90 minutes transit time.

Rob

Edited by ryndam

9 minutes ago, ryndam said:

There are many hotels on JFK Blvd near IAH (Sheraton, Doubletree, Marriott, "Comforts") depending on your budget. There are also another group of similar hotel properties with addresses on the North Sam Houston Tollway. Many offer complimentary transportation from the IAH terminals to the hotel. There is also a Marriott hotel on the airport property, between the terminals at IAH that is connected to the terminals by a complimentary people-mover.

As for transportation choices IAH-Galveston port-IAH, there are quite a few similar threads on this board that discuss the many transfer opportunities. If you are comfortable with Uber or Lyft, both will pick up at the hotel and drive to the port; average fare IAH hotels-Galveston port is $75 +/- per car/each way, with an estimated 90 minutes transit time.

Rob

Thank you.  I wasn' t sure if Uber/Lyft was our only hotel pick up option but it seems it might be that way.  Will have to see if we want to do that rather than taking the shuttle back to the airport for the pick up.

I appreciate your response.

emen822 -- not from Texas but have the same situation for my November cruise. Flying into and staying near IAH, and need a shuttle to Galveston the next morning for embarkation. I have not been able to find that any of the shuttles offer hotel pick up. This is only from my research online; I haven't actually called any of the shuttle companies, so maybe it's available and just not advertised on websites. I'm going to stay at the Marriott in the airport, so I can just walk back over to the airport in the morning to catch my shuttle. My flight lands after dinner, so I just need to worry about breakfast. I'm not a big breakfast eater, so I had planned to just suffer through hotel coffee for the morning and bring a granola bar or something from home.

As far as safety - crime-wise I think Humble is fine. I'm just not sure how pedestrian friendly the streets are - busy streets/highways, and not sure of the sidewalk situation. But I'm not super familiar with it. So hopefully, someone more local and/or familiar will be able to help with that aspect.

Remember that Houston is a car place, especially out in the suburbs like you will be around the airport. As "ryndam" pointed out, there are many places to stay near the airport that have shuttles between the hotel/motel and the airport. Use a google search to see what eating places are near each of the hotels. I can tell you from observation that they will mostly be fast food places.

Hotels along Beltway 8 in the Greenspoint area will not have anything to walk to nor would you want to walk there. It's not a great area.

Hotels off US59 and the FM1960 area also won't have much to walk to but it's a much better area and there are lots of food choices. There are sidewalks so you *could* walk it but like others have said, this is a car place. Not many people walk anywhere so things are very spread out.

What hotels are you considering? I am very familiar with the area and can steer you away from the worst ones if you want.