Cruise Critic Community
thixson

Review of Symphony from first time Crystal cruiser...

2 hours ago, SandJCruiser said:

A thought for those who are disinclined to attend the Magic Castle show or claim to not like magic.  As a lifelong devotee of magic (a student, not a performer), I can unequivocally state that very few people have ever seen a really good magician, especially ones who do close-up performances.  I am not referring to the Las Vegas style illusionists, like David Copperfield or Sigfried and Roy, who get the vast majority of the attention and press.  I mean intimate performers who make their living primarily at private parties, corporate events, trade shows, and, yes, cruise ships.  These folks are masters of an ancient art form that requires a number of skills over and above dexterity.  Most have honed their craft over many years, and those affiliated with the Castle are masters.  Above all, they are entertainers first, who use magic as the vehicle for that entertainment.  Pleaee, even if you're sceptical, and especially if you think you don't like magic, give it a try.  I predict you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Very well said.

They are amazing.  I always say it is magic but some of the things they do I scratch my head.  Here we are sitting in some cases a couple of feet from them with eyes looking at them, at the table, below the table, etc.and it is unreal how they do this.  True professionals.

There is one Magician I won't forget.  It wasn't just how good he was but a story he told AnneMarie and myself when we approached him after he performed.  We told him how much we enjoyed his show.  He told me something I strongly believe in.

He said he always loved Magic. When he was 10 he began doing shows at Birthday Parities.  Then it came College time.  He majored in Accounting but it didn't come natural to him.  He thought with the degree he could make more money compared to being a Magician.  He worked for a couple of years doing accounting but he didn't really like it.  Then the lightbulb went off and he realized his passion was magic and if you do something that you love you might end up more successful and certainly happier.  So he devoted himself to being a magician.  He not only is happier, but he is a much better magician than he was an accountant and yes he is making more money than if he stayed in an area that he really didn't care for.  I have shared this with our children and with those who are at the age to begin figuring out what they want to do.  Yes, it's called pursue your passion.

If you can find a profession you love to me that is one of the keys in life.

Sorry for rambling which I know I do a lot of.

Keith

Well, even though there's no Love and Marriage show (she said with tongue firmly in cheek), I'm really excited to try a luxury line. I have absolutely no desire to go on a "premium" line, but I'm quite ready to step up to Crystal. l'm looking forward to a much lovelier experience. My husband and I were talking today that we may have to slow down on our cruising. He's in line for a significant promotion and it will mean he'll have more responsibility and will have to be careful as to when he takes vacation. If we can only cruise once a year, I'd much rather it be on a better line.

I'd also like to mention that the folks who post on this board, the regulars, are so welcoming! I want to thank all of you for providing so much wonderful information. I really do appreciate it. ❤️

On 9/14/2019 at 11:35 AM, LHT28 said:

the  avatars here are small

image.thumb.png.1213e954bab6e6c2bfadb7a20b734bbd.png not sure this would help either  but if you wanted to check my profile you would see I have never sailed on RCL

I remember you from the Oceania forum and I have benefited many times from your advise on those forums. I am glad that you are trying Crystal. I think you will like the experience. Although I like Oceania very much, I have found the entertainment better in Crystal than in Oceania. Especially the lectures.

I have been twice to the Magic show at Crystal and both times I have not liked it.  I am not doubting about the skills of the magicians, it is just not my type of entertainment. So I will not go back again. But if I were you, I would give it a try.

Do not worry about your cruise being a disappointment. It is right that not everybody likes the same things. There are so many things you can choose from specially on sea days during a Crystal cruise, that I think you will find something for you.

Enjoy your trip and if you can when you come back let us know your impressions.

Ivi

On 9/14/2019 at 9:53 PM, fyree39 said:

Well, even though there's no Love and Marriage show (she said with tongue firmly in cheek), I'm really excited to try a luxury line. I have absolutely no desire to go on a "premium" line, but I'm quite ready to step up to Crystal. l'm looking forward to a much lovelier experience. My husband and I were talking today that we may have to slow down on our cruising. He's in line for a significant promotion and it will mean he'll have more responsibility and will have to be careful as to when he takes vacation. If we can only cruise once a year, I'd much rather it be on a better line.

I'd also like to mention that the folks who post on this board, the regulars, are so welcoming! I want to thank all of you for providing so much wonderful information. I really do appreciate it. ❤️

Luxury is not the same for everyone. I do not care very much about words such as “luxury” or “premium” or even the one used more despectively  “mass”. For me it is important how I feel during the experience. I love cruising and I love to enjoy the different offers from the cruiselines. I enjoy once in a while broadway type of shows, which only big ships offer (mass experience). I enjoy the Azamazing evenings from Azamara (a premium cruiseline smaller than Crystal ocean ships) and I have enjoyed the lectures at Crystal (considered luxury cruiseline). In a sense alone to be able to cruise and to experience different situations is for me a “luxury”. I hope that the Crystal experience is enjoyable for you and meets your expectations.

Ivi

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I remember you from the Oceania forum and I have benefited many times from your advise on those forums. I am glad that you are trying Crystal. I think you will like the experience. Although I like Oceania very much, I have found the entertainment better in Crystal than in Oceania. Especially the lectures.

I have been twice to the Magic show at Crystal and both times I have not liked it.  I am not doubting about the skills of the magicians, it is just not my type of entertainment. So I will not go back again. But if I were you, I would give it a try.

Ivi

Thanks

I am sure  we will find things to do onboard

On 9/13/2019 at 7:09 PM, Roland4 said:

Not really sure why you would say this. As other posters have noted, Crystal has some great comedians. In my opinion, one of their "edgiest" is Mark Merchant, who is a ventriloquist. He has a number of characters that tread very close to the line of "politically incorrect", but he always brings the house down! In what I thought was a very daring move, on a cruise in 2006 on Symphony he introduced a George W. Bush dummy (and I am not being political here) that was hysterical, and we all got to shake "The President's" hand as we left the lounge!

Also when cruise director Gary Hunter does his ventriloquist act...usually once each cruise he is on..he gets a bit edgy and is really funny...

35 minutes ago, edgee said:

Also when cruise director Gary Hunter does his ventriloquist act...usually once each cruise he is on..he gets a bit edgy and is really funny...

And when edgee says that Gary Hunter is edgy, you can take that to the bank.

On 9/11/2019 at 2:18 PM, thixson said:

Yes I did. They had one dance class, a ton of needlepoint, bridge, and trivia only twice.

According to the dance instructors they had 3 dance classes. 

On the 1 week segment ending today, they had the regular 3 dance classes plus a line dance class.