Cruise Critic Community
WonderMan3

LIVE from 9/13 Bellissima and 9/21 Seaview - 7nt Med cruises - Yacht Club

We just celebrated our 50th on The Allure with 19 family members.  We always have another trip planned.  I am a retired Travel Consultant with 30 years experience.  I had one couple who kept taking a few big world trips each year.  He would say, this will probably be our last year to go...they are both in their mid eighties and are still traveling the World.  

We have had to cancel two trips, both at the last minute.  The last one, four years ago, we were All set to go the next day...instead of cruising,  my DH was in intensive care, fighting for his life.  Thank goodness, he made it.  We have been on ten great vacations since then.  We have cruises and vacations booked up to 2021. We are waiting for the 2022 options to open up.  It’s always good to have something positive to look forward to.  One never knows what the future holds.  That’s why it’s important to go and enjoy while you can.  

We also had to cancel 2 big cruises last year; last Jan for Silversea Antarctica for DH having spine surgery and Regent Greece in Sept for my redo of hip surgery. At least we got most of our money back on both. We have Antarctica on Azamara Pursuit coming Jan, Silversea crossing in Mar, HAL New England in Oct & then Silversea New Zealand for next Dec and our 55th. I have my eye on either Silversea or Azamara for Japan Apr 2021, but DH says to wait until our credit card recovers from the New Zealand one which was paid in full. I'm also a retired TA and I prefer doing my own trips--no one else to blame.  

13 minutes ago, silkismom said:

We also had to cancel 2 big cruises last year; last Jan for Silversea Antarctica for DH having spine surgery and Regent Greece in Sept for my redo of hip surgery. At least we got most of our money back on both. We have Antarctica on Azamara Pursuit coming Jan, Silversea crossing in Mar, HAL New England in Oct & then Silversea New Zealand for next Dec and our 55th. I have my eye on either Silversea or Azamara for Japan Apr 2021, but DH says to wait until our credit card recovers from the New Zealand one which was paid in full. I'm also a retired TA and I prefer doing my own trips--no one else to blame.  

Your travel schedule sounds fantastic.  We just have a twelve day MSC, Yacht Club trip in January and a Tauck Tour in May.  We tend to spend time on the Outer Banks in the summer and always plan to be away for most of January.  When I managed a Travel Agency, I could never get away for more than a week or two.  It is such a pleasure to be able to go away whenever we wish.  This is our first MSC cruise.  We were on HAL last January and were less than thrilled with the service and the crowded pools.  Amazingly, the musical entertainment onboard HAL was fantastic.  We stayed up late every night listening and dancing to some fantastic musicians.  I don't know if we are becoming jaded about cruising.  We were on Seabourn in 2018 and were not at all impressed with the food and found the service to be rather mediocre.  Several passengers we met on HAL, mentioned how much they had enjoyed the YC experience on MSC, so we thought we would give it a try.

Nashna, please come back and give a review of the Yacht Club trip, I've read that they give the same loyalty for the first time anyhow, we are Elite on Princess and Elite Plus on Celebrity/Azamara. It's been many years since we were on HAL, so not sure if we'll like it anymore, but liked the itin--Montreal to FLL. I remember the time restraints on TAs, I said I've been to Moorea but not Moab. :classic_wink:

I certainly will come back and do a report.  I feel that it is only right to give back to the CC community after all the valuable information that I have received over the years.

your review is very helpful - thank you!! We have our first med cruise coming up in YC grandiosa. Having sailed YC seaside us and our traveling partners would agree with your assessment on the food! We were not impressed. With that said - the price we got we still feel as if it was a good value.

Seaside grill did have buns for its burgers and hot dogs - did we ever find out if its a european thing to eat hamburgers and hotdogs without buns lol?

Edited by floridian1

This is the thread that doesn’t die and keeps on giving!  We just returned from 3 weeks in Europe, the first of which was a YC interior on Bellissima. A near perfect cruise experience. Though, I would have liked another sea day. 
We embarked and debarked in Marseilles. We flew in two days early to enjoy Marseille. We stayed in an airbnb in the Vieux Port area.  So, so easy to get in board. No crowds. On the ship within minutes of arriving at the port. (Well, after I downed two glasses of champagne in the small area set aside for YC)

Our butlers, Teresa and Octavio, were super. They immediately switched out our mini-bar with our favorite beverages, brought us a corkscrew and were solicitous without being cloying. The cabin was always clean and made up. The interiors ARE small but plenty of storage space. 
upon arriving, I immediately booked speecialty restaurants and cocktail Cirque shows with front desk in Yacht Club. Again, easy!

We much preferred SYMA over Varelia but both were fun. And the pre-show music was excellent as was other live music throughout the ship. 

Ports and excursions—We only used one MSC excursion—the Taormina Tour in Messina. It was excellent. Knowledgeable tour guide and some free time at the end. in other ports, we used Airbnb experiences—meat lovers’ tour in Barcelona, food tour in Genoa, we easily got a ferry to Capri on our own while in Naples. HOHO Bus in Malta was an excellent way to see the island.

FOOD and booze—We had cocktails every night before dinner with the live music. The specialty cocktails knocked my socks off. The Chili Passion Capraina (spelling?) gave me goosebumps!   We were well pleased with the food in the YC Dining Room.  Nick had the paella twice. I liked the fish dishes and the moussaka. The salads were fresh. And I am a sucker for escargot and anything with duck. We decided to go to the sushi restaurant for our one free specialty restaurant. Well prepared and plentiful.  Not big breakfast eaters, we mostly grabbed a cappuccino and croissant for breakfast on the pool deck. One morning, I had a tasty made-to-order omelette. Juices were good, as well. 
The next 5 cruises we have booked through 2021 are with Oceania, Carnival and Princess. But if there is an itinerary I like, MSC is staying on my list. A first-class experience.  We liked the service, the ports, the food, the ambiance and our cabin. . .

happy cruising. 

Edited by muggo11