Newbie question

Does Serenity  have a book exchange ?

I was going to bring  a book to read but  is there a place to leave it for others ?

Hate to throw  them out

Also I saw this info  before  but not sure where  so

anyone know the distance around the Promenade  ..how many times make a mile ?

Thank you

Lynda

3 minutes ago, ryndam said:

The library accepts books. There is actually a whole shelf section with "donated" books in the library. I've read and donated books on many cruises.

Rob

Great 

Thanks

38 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

one more question  for now 🙂

Is there  a night light in the w/c  for the C  cabins ?

TIA

Not in the bathroom unless you leave the light on but the night light is in the hall just outside the w/c and provides enough light to see IMHO.

Lynda,

Roy will know the precise number but on Serenity a mile is around 3.5 laps around the promenade deck.

When you enter the library you can just leave them with the librarian.  If after hours you can drop a book you want to donate in the book slot.

Keith

3 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Lynda I just did a google search and the number that has come up the most for Serenity is 3.7 laps equals a mile.  But I know Roy will know for sure.

Keith

I’m in New York right now but know 5miles is 17 laps for Serenity and 19 for Symphony.

Roy 

We need a photo of the plaque with the precise measurements - there is one aft on each ship on deck 7

This may we’ll be another case of the amazing shrinking dimensions like we’ve just experienced with the standard staterooms reducing in size!

I don’t know if I’m even going to fit in my cabin now that they are officially smaller!

Edited by Stickman1990

Depends whether you are on the inside or outside of the deck - sort of a joke but actually true

we need someone with a fitness device or smart phone to do laps and tell us what they say for lap distance.

Edited by ctjon
21 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I’m in New York right now but know 5miles is 17 laps for Serenity and 19 for Symphony.

Roy 

How long does five miles usually take you, Roy? 

Heck, how long does it take you on NYC avenues?

Edited by May B
6 hours ago, ctjon said:

we need someone with a fitness device or smart phone to do laps and tell us what they say for lap distance.

Some of those devices are very challenged by a moving ship when using GPS - I’ve had some great results when walking forward on a moving ship - very fast and a good distance aided by the ships movement but the aft facing legs were very challenging 

6 hours ago, ctjon said:

Depends whether you are on the inside or outside of the deck - sort of a joke but actually true

Jonathan:

Now the key is for the person to be careful with the device.

I was out on the Promenade Deck early this year and set my iWatch to an outside walk.  Well, after 30 minutes I looked at the iWatch and it showed I had already walked several miles.  The lightbulbs went off and I quickly realized it was based on the speed of the ship and not my actual walk.  Next time  I set the program to an inside walk and that seemed to help.

I teach at home and I always say the key is apples to apples.  I know how many miles I get if I don't stop in an hour so I can just go with time and not worry about counting the laps, etc.  This way I don't have to worry about whether I got more or less miles by walking the inside or outside of the deck.  The other challenge is that sometimes the weather conditions make it very difficult to walk the entire deck such as days when it is very windy going around the bow or if it is too hot on one side.

Keith

3 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Some of those devices are very challenged by a moving ship when using GPS - I’ve had some great results when walking forward on a moving ship - very fast and a good distance aided by the ships movement but the aft facing legs were very challenging 

We are thinking alike about the technology.  After I posted I saw your post about the GPS and that is what happened to me with the iWatch set for an outdoor walk.

I guess I could have just stayed still and I would have gotten some miles doing nothing.

Keith

We did the fishing/dinner trip in Ketchikan and the skiff was rocking quite a bit as it moved along. By the time we got back to land, according to my Iphone, I supposedly had climbed 52 flights of stairs! 

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe I will get DH to do both inside & outside edge  while in port & see the difference 😉

Yes in port will handle it well - but I think you should also get him to do one lap in the middle as well - I’m sure he will thank us for it in the long term 🙂 

Just now, Stickman1990 said:

Yes in port will handle it well - but I think you should also get him to do one lap in the middle as well - I’m sure he will thank us for it in the long term 🙂 

I will

He will enjoy the challenge  😁

28 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Coffee place  ..Bistro I think ?

Does it have a Barrista or  just a machine for making cappuccinos  et al

The coffee place is called the Bistro.

no self serve machines as there are Barristas.  In addition, you can get coffee in the early morning, a light breakfast starting at 9, Portuguese tarts for those folks that love them, light lunch/snacks until 6pm and desserts in the evening.  Of course coffee and teas plus othe adult beverages are available.

Nancy

4 minutes ago, nancygp said:

The coffee place is called the Bistro.

no self serve machines as there are Barristas.  In addition, you can get coffee in the early morning, a light breakfast starting at 9, Portuguese tarts for those folks that love them, light lunch/snacks until 6pm and desserts in the evening.  Of course coffee and teas plus othe adult beverages are available.

Nancy

Thank you

Now to keep DH away from the treats  for most of the day  😁