LHT28

Newbie question

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Now to keep DH away from the treats  for most of the day  😁

1 Portuguese Tart per lap of the Promenade on Deck 7 will be about right 🙂

10 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I guess I need to do at least 17 laps a day😰

At my age I sorta give up, bring on the tarts!

Just now, suzeluvscruz said:

I guess I need to do at least 17 laps a day😰

On a similar note - my Doctor tells me that to lose the weight of 1 standard alcoholic drink (not a generous poor) you need to walk for 30 minutes - so what does that mean for me on a cruise?

I basically have to walk for pretty much every waking minute - does walking between bars count?

4 hours ago, May B said:

How long does five miles usually take you, Roy? 

Heck, how long does it take you on NYC avenues?

I am definitely slowing.  It used to be about 100 minutes (and that usually includes a bathroom stop or two) but now I'm a bit over 2 hours.

New York is especially a challenge.  One time yesterday around Times Square it probably took me 5-10 minutes to walk one block.

Roy

Roy, great job.

Yes walking in a city (and especially near Times Square) is much different than a walk in the suburbs or on a ship).

Keep walking and doing what you can do.

Keith

Speaking of the Promenade Deck this was one of the clinchers for us deciding to take a long cruise.

In 2007 we planned to take a long cruise of about 30 days to celebrate a special anniversary.  We booked a cruise with Seabourn.

After cruises on Harmony and Symphony in 2005 we took two back to back cruises on Serenity totaling 24 days totaling 24 days our longest cruise up to that point on Serenity.  We loved the ship.  It was the first ship where after a few hours I didn't need to walk around with the little diagram cruise lines give you.  We met a couple who had been on the 2005 World Cruise and they walked us through it over a lunch and then dinner at Umi Uma (back then Silk Road).  We loved the Promenade Deck.  This might not seem important to some but for us it was a place we could walk and talk together, a place where I could go out alone and run, a place where you can get away from it all as often very few people are out there, a place where you can enjoy arriving and leaving a port.  Crystal promenade decks are special and for us Serenity the best as it is wide allowing more people to walk and pass one another  and has very little clutter.  Just loved it and we felt that if we booked along cruise and needed to get away from it all so to speak the Promenade Deck is one of those places to do just that.  We ended up canceling our Seabourn booking, and booked the 2007 World Cruise and asa they say the rest is history.

Keith

I wasn't thinking about using the technology for daily use but to measure the track.   I found places from out last cruise where the GPS functions didn't work at all in some middle of the sea areas.   Anyway we should all try and not use electronics when on a cruise.

11 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Anyway we should all try and not use electronics when on a cruise.

I know what you are getting at but I’m afraid that wouldn’t work for me - I’m just too used to being connected - I would actually stress more about not being connected 

and then there will be those who still work who need to stay in touch with emails etc - thank goodness those days are over for me!

Actually the glow from my phone charger serves well as our night light - but as my wife hates any light at night so that gets something put over it to provide black out conditions 

1 hour ago, ctjon said:

I wasn't thinking about using the technology for daily use but to measure the track.   I found places from out last cruise where the GPS functions didn't work at all in some middle of the sea areas.   Anyway we should all try and not use electronics when on a cruise.

I hear you but times are a changing.

For me the irony is that we began cruising so I could get away from work. On land when I worked I would get on conference calls while the family relaxed and would run late or on e-mail which I've been on since 1982 for work.  When we went on cruises there was no internet so I could get away from things.  I remember those early days where if someone was sending you a message you would go to a remote room to get a teletype.  We sold a house while on a ship and we had to walk up some outdoor steps to a radio dispatch room or whatever they called it back then.

Every few days I would use my calling card to make a call from port.  In todays' environment I don't know what I would do because you can stay connected.  Now the good news is you know what you are coming back to in terms of work.  Downside is getting some down time.

The other good news is I know plenty of people who couldn't get away from work and go on a cruise unless they could stay in touch with their office, business., etc.

So I guess in todays' world I would have to go someplace without communications.  Maybe some remote island or to the Moon instead.  😁

In my current situation though I love the electronics.

iPhone to take photos but to also to be able to text or call Anne Marie or in reverse so she can reach me.  Or to chat with the family on long cruises or to contact the tour guide, etc.

Computer to keep up daily with all financial related accounts as I do at home, to do e-mail, to do a blog, live reports, read newspapers, etc.

iWatch to tell time as I can't go anywhere without a watch but also to know how much we've walked and to monitor my heart rate on the elliptical, when running and on the spin bike.  I can also use it to listen to music or use a device such as an iPhone or iPad with some friends on the ship to spin with them.

Electronics of today are very diverse so they can be used for so many different things including many fun things.  😁

Like most things there are the good and bad points of them but now that we have them I would feel naked without them.

Keith

18 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Twice on crystal...no tarts yet

November...Cruise goal...tarts

3 hours ago, riandei said:

Good luck with that 

The trick is to coordinate a visit to the Bistro with the time they put them out - some kind soul will share the approximate time I’m sure - I can’t recall when it is but from memory it’s mid morning and they typically don’t last long

30 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Good luck with that 

The trick is to coordinate a visit to the Bistro with the time they put them out - some kind soul will share the approximate time I’m sure - I can’t recall when it is but from memory it’s mid morning and they typically don’t last long

Portuguese tarts used to go out at 10:00 but as of early August on Symphony they must be baking more. I had one for tea several afternoons in the Bistro. 

3 hours ago, riandei said:

Twice on crystal...no tarts yet

Once or twice I've arrived after they've been removed and a nice smile and a pretty please can sometimes get you one from the back. If there are any left. 😎

36 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Good luck with that 

It varies, sometimes it's before 10 and sometimes later.....depends on what time the baker gets up I guess. 🤣

I'm solving the Portuguese Tart "issue" by flying to Lisbon 4 days before joining the Symphony next June.  I'm going to get the real deal before boarding!  (I've never been to Portugal so am really looking forward to it)

~Nancy

Just now, oakridger said:

I'm solving the Portuguese Tart "issue" by flying to Lisbon 4 days before joining the Symphony next June.  I'm going to get the real deal before boarding!  (I've never been to Portugal so am really looking forward to it)

~Nancy

They have pretty good ones in Hong Kong too! The Portuguese were there too and each claim the tarts were theirs first. 🤭

5 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

Once or twice I've arrived after they've been removed and a nice smile and a pretty please can sometimes get you one from the back. If there are any left. 😎

OK I've never tried one and it seems I'm going to have to try one on our November cruise.

37 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I'm solving the Portuguese Tart "issue" by flying to Lisbon 4 days before joining the Symphony next June. 

Me too! - We’re there in May on Symphony and it’s on my list of things to achieve in Lisbon -I’m sure someone will tell us the best place to find them 🙂

To be honest it’s quite a while since I had one on board - too many other ways to punish my waistline I’m afraid 

3 hours ago, AtA said:

OK I've never tried one and it seems I'm going to have to try one on our November cruise.

I had never had one until last Fall.

I never knew they served them on Crystal after all the years of cruising until it was mentioned a couple of years ago by I think Patty.

Because of that a few years ago we looked for them as we walked around Lisbon but ended up passing on it.  I think it was because they looked funny to me.  

Last Fall before we disembarked we had an overnight in Lisbon and a member of the crew was kind enough to give each of us Portuguese Tarts purchased in Lisbon.

I have to say they tasted a lot better than they look.

DSC00892.thumb.jpg.8029b19b607f072989dedac012c9b48d.jpg

To this day I haven't seen them on the ship but I know they are there because people here say they are.  LOL.  I suspect we haven't seen them for two reasons; one is we don't often pass by The Bistro at that hour and I suspect that when they are put out that within minutes some swarm the area and they disappear.  😁

Keith

Keith, thanks for posting that picture- I was hoping somebody would! I have definitely added Portuguese tart to my ever-growing list of things to do/see/eat/drink/experience on our first Crystal cruise.

And, not to change the subject but....seriously? No turndown chocolates? (Even the lowly "premium" cruise lines that I've sailed do that!) Is there anywhere on the ship where I might find, say, a chocolate truffle if I get a craving?

1 hour ago, late2cruisin said:

Keith, thanks for posting that picture- I was hoping somebody would! I have definitely added Portuguese tart to my ever-growing list of things to do/see/eat/drink/experience on our first Crystal cruise.

And, not to change the subject but....seriously? No turndown chocolates? (Even the lowly "premium" cruise lines that I've sailed do that!) Is there anywhere on the ship where I might find, say, a chocolate truffle if I get a craving?

Yes

i believe you can get them in a suite 😀

I thought they might also be available in Rio (former Portugese Colony) but was unable to find them there.

Roy

2 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

No turndown chocolates? (Even the lowly "premium" cruise lines that I've sailed do that!) Is there a place on the ship where I might find, say, a chocolate truffle if I get a craving?

You can request truffles any night in Waterside, just ask your waiter. But beware, they will never bring just one, always bring a full dish of them. Yum.

Edited by suzeluvscruz