Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
John In MD

Long time lurker, first post. Bad experience with NCL

Recommended Posts

On 9/12/2019 at 8:12 AM, mjkacmom said:

I disagree, the majority of seasoned and new cruisers aren’t on CC, the vast majority never hear about dry docks, charters, revised itineraries. 

Totally agree with you. Because we spend time on CC does not mean others do and if one is a new or relatively new cruiser they are not expected to know all the ins and outs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This sucks and I really feel for the OP.  This is my biggest fear because I don't cruise that often anymore and I would be crushed if my upcoming cruise was cancelled.

I read the original post and the options NCL gave.  I pretended if it was me.  Since airline tickets are already booked.  Would it be possible to celebrate a few weeks earlier and sail on the Jewel?  NCL would give up to $300 towards the airfare change.  Maybe the OP does not want to sail the Jewel. Maybe the OP cant make the Jewel dates.  But if I wanted to cruise Hawaii and this happened, I would try to move to the Jewel cruise.

I have never been to Hawaii but if I ever did go, I would prefer a land vacation to a cruise any day.  So maybe I would convince myself that everything happens for a reason and enjoy the land vacation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

this is more in response to your comment about NCL being in financial trouble: If it is so bad for them how come their stock is doing better this year than their competitors? Can you explain that one?

 

CCL, RCL, and NCLH are all off their highs.  NCLH is not going to weather the storm.  Sorry, but as we say, "all babies are not beautiful."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

There are two types of people on this earth, well maybe more than 2, but the 2 main ones are those who roll with the punches most of the time and the ones that cry, cry, cry. I am not saying the OP is cry baby by any means. He has every right to be upset and he is not the only one who is upset, but there the fact still remains, there are options. and the best way to adjust is to remember, in life with will be a disappointment that will not really make a difference in life. He does have options and I am sure he will find one. 

 

I do understand, much better than you do, that is for sure. The guy vented, no one blames him but that is the end or should be the end. You say NCL makes bad choices, no one is going to argue about that. Show me a company or an individual that does not make bad choices. 

Thank you Mary Poppins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep this in mind.....the location of HI pretty much limits where she can be dry docked at.  HI is about a 5-7 day sail from anywhere so if they are only cancelling 1 or 2 sailings then that means she is going to be docked in HI and after a quick scan with google maps the only docks I see large enough are at Pear Harbor Naval Shipyard...and the Navy will  have priority there. So a slot might have just opened up and they had no choice but to take it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

 

CCL, RCL, and NCLH are all off their highs.  NCLH is not going to weather the storm.  Sorry, but as we say, "all babies are not beautiful."

they are all off their highs for the past 52 weeks but RCI and NCL are still having a good year. CCL not so much. I do pay pretty close attention as we have stock in 2 of the 3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

One thing to ask your insurance company is if you will have to buy a new policy if you claim against the trip cancellation coverage.  It may be more beneficial for you to not claim your out of pocket additional flight expenses and then transfer your policy to the new trip.  

Thanks...I’m going to call on Monday and ask if we can just change the dates on the policy. Some of the costs we’re incurring are of our choosing — like adding an extra night!😂 Since NCL will reimburse us for our change fees, there isn’t an insurance claim to be made. The only thing would have been the hotel, but they were wonderful about changing the reservation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

Keep this in mind.....the location of HI pretty much limits where she can be dry docked at.  HI is about a 5-7 day sail from anywhere so if they are only cancelling 1 or 2 sailings then that means she is going to be docked in HI and after a quick scan with google maps the only docks I see large enough are at Pear Harbor Naval Shipyard...and the Navy will  have priority there. So a slot might have just opened up and they had no choice but to take it. 

That is what I've been wondering as well.  Back in 2016 POA seemed to find itself in a pickle and had to go to SFO for drydock, there was talk about either NCL wasn't paying attention to when POA needed to go in OR it was scheduled but the Navy dockyard became unavailable.

 

It was supposed to be a 11 night but cut to ten back to Hawaii.  I'd have to look, but I think we made it back to Hawaii in like 3.5 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Thank you Mary Poppins.

 There are real people here behind our screen names.

Calling someone Mary Poppins is not really an insult but the way you said it seems to indicate you think it is.

If you disagree with her thoughts it would be kinder to just say what you disagree with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dexddd said:

That is what I've been wondering as well.  Back in 2016 POA seemed to find itself in a pickle and had to go to SFO for drydock, there was talk about either NCL wasn't paying attention to when POA needed to go in OR it was scheduled but the Navy dockyard became unavailable.

 

It was supposed to be a 11 night but cut to ten back to Hawaii.  I'd have to look, but I think we made it back to Hawaii in like 3.5 days.

 

We were on same cruise with you post dry dock SFO to HNL. Remember they had bad weather while in SFO that work on the outer decks wasn’t completed in time.

 

That cruise came up for booking about a year prior and we grabbed the ride due to v low prices. Then it went off radar for some months before reappearing with price hike.

 

Even though it got reduced by a day, we enjoyed the cruise.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stuff happens, and so do mandatory dry docks and inspections. From the sounds of things this is not going to be a major one but simply a regular check-up. She was just re-done in a month long dry dock in SFO in 2016. Then they offered two extended cruises that started in Hawaii and ended in SFO and the return trip a month or so later. The POA usually does these mini docks in Pearl Harbor at the naval base. So they usually have to take the first opening they have and hope that there is no emergency with a naval ship that would bump them. As others have said, she is a unique ship with US flagging and different rules to follow etc. There are only a couple of west coast ports that could handle any major work - Vigor in Portland OR and SFO. 

 

While I feel for the OP esp having spent lots of money on airfare. Airfare is usually non refundable  - but can be changed  for a fee. NCL is willing to cover that. As for the money you are out for the actual airfare - that is your problem not NCL. 

 

As far as the OBC goes, none of NCL issued OBC can be used to cover the daily service charge - so you get extra money for excursions, morning lattes etc. 

 

I agree that if the OP has the time and money the Jewel cruise would be a great substitute.  So far the OP has been lucky on RCL that they have not had something like this happen to them.

 

I wish the OP the best of luck with their 20th anniversary no matter how they spend it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 3:39 AM, bonvoyagie said:

Stuff happens, and so do mandatory dry docks and inspections. From the sounds of things this is not going to be a major one but simply a regular check-up. She was just re-done in a month long dry dock in SFO in 2016. Then they offered two extended cruises that started in Hawaii and ended in SFO and the return trip a month or so later. The POA usually does these mini docks in Pearl Harbor at the naval base. So they usually have to take the first opening they have and hope that there is no emergency with a naval ship that would bump them. As others have said, she is a unique ship with US flagging and different rules to follow etc. There are only a couple of west coast ports that could handle any major work - Vigor in Portland OR and SFO. 

 

While I feel for the OP esp having spent lots of money on airfare. Airfare is usually non refundable  - but can be changed  for a fee. NCL is willing to cover that. As for the money you are out for the actual airfare - that is your problem not NCL. 

 

As far as the OBC goes, none of NCL issued OBC can be used to cover the daily service charge - so you get extra money for excursions, morning lattes etc. 

 

I agree that if the OP has the time and money the Jewel cruise would be a great substitute.  So far the OP has been lucky on RCL that they have not had something like this happen to them.

 

I wish the OP the best of luck with their 20th anniversary no matter how they spend it.

Pretty sure from HNL to SFO it went without guests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 5:15 AM, Joshthedog said:

Yes, that sailing is cancelled also. First sailing after dry dock is 6/6/20.

Also booked on the May 30th POA sailing.   It's not available for new bookings and the itinerary on the current booking implies it's being shortened to 5 days.    Called the main NCL number over the weekend about it, and they said I need to call the "Displacement" group today.     The "Displacement group said that the 30th is not effected AT THIS TIME.    I'm wondering now, if they are dealing with all the total cancellations, before they break the bad news to those of us on the 30th, that our 7 day cruise is now a 5 day?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually in 2016 they did make the HI cruise longer and ended it in SFO - then they also did a special SFO to HI after the drydock. Can't say what they are doing this time - maybe the ship is staying in HI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s very disappointing news for so many pax! To the OP, the good news is Alaska charges $125 pp to change your ticket, so the $300 will definitely cover that. The downside, which is the same for all airlines as far as I know, is that the ticket amount is good for 1 year. If you want to just straight cancel, you don’t get your money back. You can, however, change to a cruise from say, Florida, and use your ticket amount to fly there or anywhere else Alaska flies. Good luck to all of you affected! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 3:58 AM, Peachypooh said:

 There are real people here behind our screen names.

Calling someone Mary Poppins is not really an insult but the way you said it seems to indicate you think it is.

If you disagree with her thoughts it would be kinder to just say what you disagree with.

Ok I disagree with you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, drnpitt said:

 Called the main NCL number over the weekend about it, and they said I need to call the "Displacement" group today.     The "Displacement group said that the 30th is not effected AT THIS TIME.

 

Good luck. The Displacement Group told us the first cruise after dry dock is 6/6. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 9:21 AM, MotownVoice said:

The OP doesn't understand that in this case, his beef is with the airline industry that doesn't let you just cancel a flight and give you your money back.  Not with the cruise industry who attempted to make amends for the failure without wrecking the ship's budget for the year.

I truly don't understand this, his beef should be with the airline who did nothing wrong and is honoring their agreement but not with NCL who cancelled the cruise, is not honoring their agreement and did not offer a refund? I mean that makes no sense whatsoever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In this case both industries are behaving in the same way - no refund but you can reschedule. In the airline case, they are saying that they will still fly the plane - YOU decided not to be on it therefore YOU need to pay a "re stocking fee" to make a change. As for the cruise line THEY decided that the ship needs to be pulled out of service, THEY decided to cancel cruises - THEY are offering you another cruise - they presume that you want to cruise and hope you can reschedule.

 

They also gave you nine months warning and it is also into the next year. I know that I like to book and plan cruises well in advance sometimes up to two years. Most employers I have worked for only put out vacation sign up sheets in Dec for the next year and then it was either filled in by first come or seniority -  which does make this kind of long range planning hard to do.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corporate NCL really do not care about the inconvenience it causes.   Sorry.  Customer needs are about fifth on the list.   Make more money and they will deal with your problem at there earliest convenience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

Corporate NCL really do not care about the inconvenience it causes.   Sorry.  Customer needs are about fifth on the list.   Make more money and they will deal with your problem at there earliest convenience.

Welcome to Corporate " America", it's not only NCL. It took almost 6 months for me to get a rebate check that was suppose to be 4-6 weeks.

 

Yes the finger pointing was going on as to the delay. It became a circus of events/phone calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 7:09 AM, Joshthedog said:

 

Good luck. The Displacement Group told us the first cruise after dry dock is 6/6. 

Got the official notification today.    Shortened to a 5 day cruise starting June 1.    They have cut the 2nd day on Maui and the 2nd day on Kauai.     They are offering prorated cruise fare, plus 2 nights hotel and transfers in Honolulu.     Or price protection to change to a different cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good luck with your cruise.

Edited by wblynch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...