MedallionClass™ problems

cheeseclan

OP here.  Just got off the phone with the MedallionClass APP help desk.  They apologized and said that the IT dept is really busy since they had massive issues with peoples sign ins so I was bumped to later today.   I am supposed to call back tomorrow if i do not hear from them by end of day today.

She told me to just upload as much info as possible now like our pics etc.  That was until i told her that only my name is on it and does not show my husbands.  She said STOP and don't do anything until it is straightened out.

So frustrating.....

Just now, cheeseclan said:

OP here.  Just got off the phone with the MedallionClass APP help desk.  They apologized and said that the IT dept is really busy since they had massive issues with peoples sign ins so I was bumped to later today.   I am supposed to call back tomorrow if i do not hear from them by end of day today.

She told me to just upload as much info as possible now like our pics etc.  That was until i told her that only my name is on it and does not show my husbands.  She said STOP and don't do anything until it is straightened out.

So frustrating.....

Same with us. I've just given up on trying anything else.

Maybe in another year or so I'll try again when they work out the bugs but for now it's not worth the aggravation. 

We are 80 yrs plus & from the old school pf using   cards .Wonder now what will happen when we get to the pier  in San Pedro Ca for our  April 2020  B2B cruises .We prefer the standard card  . Do we have to wait in lines at Customer Relations to get a set of cards  or will they issue us cards at the pier ?

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

Calling the help desk they said that since my cruise is not Ocean Ready yet (but is a Medallion Cruise), I can't sign-on, but that seems a little crazy. Do I need to create a new account for just the Medallion App? You can only use the app when your cruise is coming up? 

What ship?

They are correct.........

If that particular cruise you have booked is that far out and is not Ocean Ready then it is not.

You will have to wait until you are closer to sailing.

53 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We are 80 yrs plus & from the old school pf using   cards .Wonder now what will happen when we get to the pier  in San Pedro Ca for our  April 2020  B2B cruises .We prefer the standard card  . Do we have to wait in lines at Customer Relations to get a set of cards  or will they issue us cards at the pier ?

Cards are printed (and issued) at the Passenger Services desk onboard. Staff shoreside only have Medallions available to hand out.

• Like 1

We were on a Medallion Cruise this past February.  I had a little trouble setting up Ocean Ready, but with the help of the IT help desk for Ocean Ready, my problem was fixed.

For those worried about the medallion, whether you get it in advance like we did, or you get the medallion at embarkation, the basic working is just like the card.  It will unlock your door and anything you buy anywhere on the ship, it is used just as your old card was used to make the transaction.  If you have problems with it on the ship, there is an Ocean Ready help desk; it was on deck 6 on the Regal.

On the Regal in February, all features were not up and running, but I don't know that I would use them all anyway.  I purchased coffee at the International Cafe coffee shop, we purchased items in the Shops, we purchased items at the "sale", we purchased Gelato at the Gelato shop.  Anything we used to use the card for, we used the medallion.  The only other feature that we checked out was the Ocean Compass to see where our spouse was when we were out and about but not together.

I did not carry the medallion on the lanyard.  I did put the medallion in the little plastic case and just carried it in my pocket like I used to with my card.  My wife carried hers in her little "carry purse".  

I have filled out Ocean Ready for our October cruise and ordered the medallions.  Then the new app came out.  I downloaded and installed it on my iPhone.  When I signed in, it had all the information from the Ocean Ready app and even showed all four of the cruises we have booked through August of 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What ship?

They are correct.........

If that particular cruise you have booked is that far out and is not Ocean Ready then it is not.

You will have to wait until you are closer to sailing.

I figured, but what about the person up stream who reported that all 8 of his upcoming cruises are available the App? I can't believe that all 8 of them are at the Ocean Ready status.  The previous poster says they can see their August 2020 cruise in the App, but I can not even get signed on to the darn thing and the help desk has been no help at all. 

Also, I still can not find out, if I can use my existing Princess Signon Id with the App or do I need to create a new account for it? 

Caribbean Princess is the ship. 

Edited by drowelf

7 minutes ago, drowelf said:

I figured, but what about the person up stream who reported that all 8 of his upcoming cruises are available the App? I can't believe that all 8 of them are at the Ocean Ready status.  The previous poster says they can see their August 2020 cruise in the App, but I can not even get signed on to the darn thing and the help desk has been no help at all. 

Also, I still can not find out, if I can use my existing Princess Signon Id with the App or do I need to create a new account for it? 

Edited by birdiebill
Did not write comment

11 minutes ago, drowelf said:

What ship??

I don't know the requirement now, but when I filled out the Ocean Ready app late last year for the February 2019 cruise, I had to use a different set of log in credentials than my Princess.com site.  So I have one password for Ocean Ready (Medallion Class App) ad a different one for Princess.com.  So my password from Ocean Ready actually transferred to the newer Medallion Class app.  The newer app shows my four cruises, but only allows me to input information into the upcoming October one.  The remaining three have not reached final payment yet, so that may be why I can not input anything for them.  However,  I have completed the cruise check in information on the Princess.com web site for all four cruises.

The Ocean Ready info will probably remain the same since we don't need new passports, the profile photo and security photo remain the same.

3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What ship??

Caribbean Princess, but I would like to understand what that has to do with my basic inability to even login to the new App. Tried the 'reset password' link from it and got the email, but that link returned a 400 error (Server could not process your request). 

So I'm really not very impressed so far with either the App or Princess Support on it.

Anyone got any ideas? 

When the Medallion Class program was announced (3 years ago?), the response here on Cruise Critic was what you would. pretty much, expect, ranging from "This is an outrage.  I will not tolerate this," to "This is too cool.  I want to be on the first Medallion Class cruise."  I, of course, added my two cents' worth stating something to the effect that I had no cruises booked that were projected to be Medallion Class.  I also added that while I did not consider the program to be a sinister trap, I was very OK with not being among the first.  One thing I learned in my 40-year career was that "Pioneers were the ones with arrows in their backs."

The problem that the OP reported is really bizarre,  I haven't read any other report of that problem, here, on Cruise Critic.  Fortunately, it sounds like it has been elevated high enough that it will be resolved soon.

We are taking our first Medallion Class cruise this coming Tuesday.  I saw no benefit to me to mess with the Medallion software prior to the cruise.  I did not believe that It would save that much time in the boarding process.  I can't believe that we are talking about anything more than minutes.

However, I learned about the fact that the public kiosks display passengers' pictures or avatars as they walked by.  I knew that was going to be an issue with Mrs. XBGuy.  Also, we started getting robocalls from Princess urging us to download the app and set up the information so that we could get in the special Medallion Class line at check in.  I had read reports that the software had been updated recently--at least the iOS version--and was working much better.

I caved.  Two weeks ago I loaded the Medallion Class software onto my iPhone and had Mrs. XBGuy load it onto her iPhone.  (OK, actually, Mrs. XBGuy had to show me how to download an app.  I'd never done that before.)  It took us over an hour to get to a point where we think we had everything loaded.  Things kept changing from "completed" to "not completed" which I found frustrating,  Once I was able to get everything "completed" again, I logged out to prevent anything from jumping back to "uncompleted."  Three days ago the FedEx guy rang the bell, and there were our Medallions.

So, I will be able to see how much time I will save in check-in.  It seems hilarious that instead of going to the "pick up your Medallion line" I'm supposed to look for the "I have my Medallion line."  

Of course, then my cruise will start.  Nothing better than that.  Now, I will have a Medallion instead of a card key.  That adjustment is no worse than when we switched over to plastic cards from brass keys,  We survived that.

I would like to offer this suggestion to people who have future Medallion Class cruises booked.  There is no rush to download the software and set up your information.  I would suggest that you don't even consider it until after final payment is made, and, heck, I see no reason to do it until about 45 days before embarkation.  It is obvious that there are problems with the software.  The longer you wait to download, the better the software is going to be.  I was frustrated by some things.  The good news, however, is that I was only grazed in the arm by a couple arrows--none were buried in my back.  I am sure that a month from now, six months from now, a year from now, that software is going to be much more elegant, easier to use, and will have fewer bugs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

After reading numerous  postings about the various  problems associated with setting  up  the Medallion , we chose not to frustrate ourselves  and show up at embarkation  with nothing  done    We were handed our Medallions and had our pictures  taken and boarded  No problems  aboard using it to open our cabin door.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JEH said:

After reading numerous  postings about the various  problems associated with setting  up  the Medallion , we chose not to frustrate ourselves  and show up at embarkation  with nothing  done    We were handed our Medallions and had our pictures  taken and boarded  No problems  aboard using it to open our cabin door.

You made the smartest move to keep from getting aggravated. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I would like to offer this suggestion to people who have future Medallion Class cruises booked.  There is no rush to download the software and set up your information.  I would suggest that you don't even consider it until after final payment is made, and, heck, I see no reason to do it until about 45 days before embarkation.  It is obvious that there are problems with the software.  The longer you wait to download, the better the software is going to be.  I was frustrated by some things.  The good news, however, is that I was only grazed in the arm by a couple arrows--none were buried in my back.  I am sure that a month from now, six months from now, a year from now, that software is going to be much more elegant, easier to use, and will have fewer bugs.

All apps are periodically updated to fix bugs and add features. So any problems will get ironed out even if you download it now.  I agree there is no real need to do it a year ahead of time, but some people find it hard to wait.  

Personally, I had little trouble downloading the app and entering the data. The only problem I encountered was something to do with having my log-in match the one at Princess.com.  All told it what pretty easy for me and my wife to become "Ocean Ready".  I also learned a long time ago that when something is not working right its usually because I screwed something up.  For those having issues, maybe asking a friend or relative who is tech savvy for help could be a solution.

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

OK we will see how busy they are on the first day . May have a problem here 

No need to rush there. They can print a card for you any time. In the meantime, your Medallion will get you into your cabin, allow you to be scanned for muster, and can be used to pay for your purchases.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

My next cruise is on Sky Princess.  I did not add my booking# yet; since the ship is not yet in the Princess system as being ready to go.

My November cruise on the Sky and B2B May 2020 cruises on the Royal were automatically added to our MedallionClass app.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Oak City Man said:

I also learned a long time ago that when something is not working right its usually because I screwed something up.  

There is a lot of truth to that sentiment.

Generally, "backspacing" and figuring out how I could have misunderstood something goes a long way towards working myself out of a ditch.  Lately, though, I often invoke the Cranky Old Man privilege, throw up my hands and say, "I don't need this."

😉

• Like 3

Well I just heard back from the IT dept via email.  They said sorry we have not been able to fix this problem.  Hope to get it done before your cruise but if not deal with it at the pier.  Are you kidding me???!!!

They also said done forget to download the MedallionClass™ app.  What???

Not happy at all.....

I have the app loaded, it shows my cruise is in 72 days, 8 hours, etc.  I added my picture and my pin and it won't let me do anything else.  It must have my booking number, because it says when my cruise is.  But when I go Link my booking, it says "this booking has already been claimed".   I haven't entered it in there, ever.   But on the main page of the app it shows my upcoming cruise.   Strange

10 hours ago, Oak City Man said:

I also learned a long time ago that when something is not working right its usually because I screwed something up.  For those having issues, maybe asking a friend or relative who is tech savvy for help could be a solution.

If something is not working correctly with the number of problems listed in this and other threads, then it has not been designed properly.

Technology such as this should be easy for the user to use. The many posts of frustration indicate that this software is very user unfriendly, even when working properly.

And even when working properly, it appears more time is spent working with the application pre-cruise than possibly can be saved at check-in if you have not done this in advance.

8 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

Well I just heard back from the IT dept via email.  They said sorry we have not been able to fix this problem.  Hope to get it done before your cruise but if not deal with it at the pier.  Are you kidding me???!!!

They also said done forget to download the MedallionClass™ app.  What???

Not happy at all.....

Have you tried deleting the app from your phone and then re-downloading it?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Hang in there.  The entire medallion program; from the medallion class app to the ocean ready app has some bugs or issues. I know it is frustrating; but rest assure; Princess IT are working overtime; trying to fix the app issues.

How could you know if they are working overtime, or slacking off -- unless you work there or have other intimate knowledge of the developers?

My observation -- the Global Innovators have struggled and struggled; and now they have hired Accenture to

try and bail them out.

My experience with Accenture -- they are  excellent at generating billings.

(I like to post positive comments)

Edited by pablo222
  • Like 1