Ship time=port time? NOT ALWAYS!

cruisestitch

I always check the  time when leaving the ship.

Don't trust the time that the people in the port tell you as they may get the time confused with some other ship in port.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Every time someone asks does ship time always match part time, a number of people say, “well on Celebrity I have never seen the ship fail to change to local time”. If the search function was working better now you could see several posts in the past couple of years where people have asserted that Celebrity always changes to port time. Many of us have seen differently. Especially in the Western Caribbean. This was my first experience on not changing to match local time in Europe.  In our case it is because we spend only one day in Portugal and then return to Spain so the ship decided not to change. Just something to keep in mind that you can’t say, “oh Celebrity never does that.”

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 2

And here’s a small PS. I just noticed that on the itinerary given to us on the first day in the daily it said that we would be changing the time tonight. So this decision not to change the time has been made very recently. Some of the crew aren’t even aware of it.  Could be interesting tomorrow in Lisbon.😁

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

And here’s a small PS. I just noticed that on the itinerary given to us on the first day in the daily it said that we would be changing the time tonight. So this decision not to change the time has been made very recently. Some of the crew aren’t even aware of it.  Could be interesting tomorrow in Lisbon.😁

Good day to watch for runners....

• Haha 1

Somewhat off-topic:

I remember an October W.Carib. cruise where, on Sat night,  out of habit, the dining room staff kept telling us to set our clocks ahead before our Florida arrival next morning.  We had to keep correcting them, telling them that Florida would be setting its clocks back, since Daylight Savings Time  was ending, and EST beginning, that night.

It might be safer to always follow Port time. That’s an interesting consideration. I know that from the point of view of the crew losing an hour of sleep and having one less hour for the kitchen to get ready for the next day’s meals that factors like these are part of the decision.

18 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

What is the reasoning (in general) behind not changing to match port time?    Wouldn't it be safer to always follow port time?

I would believe the reason is to reduce the number of time changes.   Portugal is the only country on the continent that is one hour earlier than CET (Central European Time).   Since most of the cruises are arriving from either Spain or France it eliminates the ship from having to changing time the night before the port and the night of the port.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would believe the reason is to reduce the number of time changes.   Portugal is the only country on the continent that is one hour earlier than CET (Central European Time).   Since most of the cruises are arriving from either Spain or France it eliminates the ship from having to changing time the night before the port and the night of the port.  

Yes sometimes on longer itineraries across time zones we have had Time Changes on Sea Days that did not match local port times but got us in better position for the upcoming port.