Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
cdm289

Ship Time from Long Beach

I will be sailing on the Panorama in March 2020.  Last time I sailed the 7 day itinerary out of Long Beach was the Splendor in 2018.  I am 99.99% sure we stayed on "ship time" in the ports.  I have looked at my old FunTimes and there is no mention of changing time.  Has anyone sailed this itinerary more recently and did you stay on "ship time"?  

We are planning something in Puerto Rico and their time is 2 hours different than Long Beach and I just want to be sure it was "ship time" that our clocks will be set to.  

20 minutes ago, cdm289 said:

Puerto Rico

I assume you mean Puerto Vallarta. Although you will find a range of answers on CC, I advise you ask a crew member once onboard for a clarifying answer.

Hi,

I am confused? Are you saying that the Panorama is leaving from Long Beach and going to Puerto Rico????? Usually the 7 day Mexican Riviera cruises stay on ship's time but that time changes by an hour sometime during the cruise before Puerto Vallarta. They will tell you the night before in the Fun Times and on the PA system.

Edited by riffatsea

We have sailed this itinerary 3 times, always stayed on pacific time.

We sail this itinerary every year in March or April and the time ALWAYS changes during the cruise.

Time in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico is Central Day Time...  that is, 2 hours ahead of California.

Most of Mexico is actually East of California.  Check out a map.

The ship's time is ALWAYS her home port time. This would only change if moving from one HOME PORT to another as in a transition cruise, for example.

Occasionally, the ship will announce LOCAL TIMES but, this is only for a convenience to the passengers who have appointments locally. The ship's time never changes.

I've cruised this itinerary many many times and have never seen differently. The ship's time will always be PACIFIC (Long Beach). I think the OP mistakenly posted Puerto Rico instead of Puerto Vallarta, one of the stops in this itinerary.

44 minutes ago, cdm289 said:

I will be sailing on the Panorama in March 2020.  Last time I sailed the 7 day itinerary out of Long Beach was the Splendor in 2018.  I am 99.99% sure we stayed on "ship time" in the ports.  I have looked at my old FunTimes and there is no mention of changing time.  Has anyone sailed this itinerary more recently and did you stay on "ship time"?  

We are planning something in Puerto Vallarta and their time is 2 hours different than Long Beach and I just want to be sure it was "ship time" that our clocks will be set to.  

YES.  SORRY...I meant Puerto Vallarta!!! 

Sailed 3 weeks ago to the Mexican Riviera on Splendor. Ships time moved ahead 1 hour the night before Mazatlan and then moved back 1 hour after Puerto Vallarta. It's kind of an inconvenience and wish they didn't do the time change.

10 minutes ago, glrounds said:

The ship's time is ALWAYS her home port time. This would only change if moving from one HOME PORT to another as in a transition cruise, for example.

Occasionally, the ship will announce LOCAL TIMES but, this is only for a convenience to the passengers who have appointments locally. The ship's time never changes.

I've cruised this itinerary many many times and have never seen differently. The ship's time will always be PACIFIC (Long Beach). I think the OP mistakenly posted Puerto Rico instead of Puerto Vallarta, one of the stops in this itinerary.

Thank you Gary.  Yes, I meant Puerto Vallarta (brain wasn't working this morning).

That is what I thought.  I just wanted to make sure. 

I believe the last time a ship changed time for me was in Alaska but that was on HAL and a number of years ago.

3 minutes ago, LuvCruiSun said:

Sailed 3 weeks ago to the Mexican Riviera on Splendor. Ships time moved ahead 1 hour the night before Mazatlan and then moved back 1 hour after Puerto Vallarta. It's kind of an inconvenience and wish they didn't do the time change.

Thank you LuvCruiSun.  I have had mixed answers but 3 weeks ago is pretty recent.  

I think what I may be learning is it may depend on who is in charge.  I will play it safe with my plans knowing it could be either ship time or the ship changing to port time.  

Good to know and I appreciate your response.

Edited by cdm289
change of word

The ship is not changing necessarily to port time.

It depends on which month you are cruising because Mexico changes their daylight savings and back in different months than when the USA changes.

When ship's time changes by one hour on this itinerary Puerto Vallarta is often still one hour different.

Seeing all the different answers, it does appear that the whole ship time vs port time is a management decision. I always thought that it is based on the route/itinerary. We have had several where you change and many that you don't. The Splendor through the Panama Canal trip had a few changes, but that's to be expected. We'll find out for ourselves in January on the Panorama. Have a good day!

@MEUB,

It is not just a management decision that depends on the whim of the captain.

It has to do with which month you are visiting.

We have been on this route on many different Carnival ships but always in the months of March and April and the time ALWAYS changes during those months.

PV is on Central Time and the time change on board never comes out to be local time.

It is always one hour different.

I just returned Saturday from this itinerary.  We did stay on ship's time, although it did change for Mazatlan and then changed back the next day.  They will put a notice in your mailbox alerting you to change your clocks.

Good to know about the daylight savings time is different in Mexico that the US/Canada.  That I did not know.  I just looked and daylight savings starts March 8 in 2020 in the US/Canada and not until April 5 in Mexico so we are traveling in that window so that will make a difference as well.  Thank you riffatsea.     

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

@MEUB,

It is not just a management decision that depends on the whim of the captain.

It has to do with which month you are visiting.

We have been on this route on many different Carnival ships but always in the months of March and April and the time ALWAYS changes during those months.

PV is on Central Time and the time change on board never comes out to be local time.

It is always one hour different.

That makes sense, thanks. I honestly never put a lot of thought into it except for the return time of an excursion. Thanks again.