Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Don Kehote

After 15 Drinks on Cheers, what's next?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

Bartenders are not supposed to do that if you have Cheers...i.e. sell you a bucket of beer without opening them all. They could get fired if they are caught doing that. I have heard that directly from a Beverage Manager at a Diamond special event. 

I do it all the time. Bring my own church key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, beachgal58 said:

I do it all the time. Bring my own church key.

Church key....you're  showing your age now, LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

Bartenders are not supposed to do that if you have Cheers...i.e. sell you a bucket of beer without opening them all. They could get fired if they are caught doing that. I have heard that directly from a Beverage Manager at a Diamond special event. 

What is the purpose of opening drinks before you walk away from the bar?  So, that those bottle caps are not everywhere?  Does this include soda, can beer, etc ?   Just purely curious question.  I am a icy fruit girl, DH is beer.  

 

Original OP:  THANK YOU ! For posting this question. I was looking for this on a board, so glad you asked.  It not only answered my question but also other advice as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we wanted beer on cheers, I would get a bucket of beer with them unopened. I always make connections with the bar staff and tip. I go to the bar and order 2 beers and explain that I want 2 more in 5 minutes in a bucket of ice. I jump in the pool and come back and get my bucket. When the first 2 beers are gone, I repeat so we have fresh ice and 4 more beers. We hardly drink beer anymore with cheers, but we do get some extras to take on shore to the beach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are only restricted to 15 on alcoholic beverages.  You can still get non-alcoholic beverages. I would assume Carnival probably doesn't want a cruiser with alcohol poisoning or

so wasted they fall overboard or otherwise do something dumb.

 

If you want to drink more, order the wine bottles to your room (or the liquor) from the fun shop ahead of time. Or use your two bottles you can bring on board.

 

Personally, I would be worshipping the porcelain God if I drank that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, Susan in Maine said:

Clearly my education is lacking. What is a fishbowl?

It is a huge drink the size of a goldfish bowl designed for multiple people, but usually consumed just by me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my most recent cruise, they refused to sell you buckets, buy drinks for others, buy drinks for yourself, etc.  Carnival has struck down on this hard, for some unknown reason.  They profit in the long run, but alas, that is why Norwegian's drinks package kicks their ass.  Bring on a rum runner, add liquor to your drinks that way.  Utilize the wine you bring onboard, or order a bottle at dinner.  But the other PAYING workarounds are disappearing fast.  Probably a matter of time before they shut you COMPLETELY off of ANY beverages, alcohol or not, when you hit 15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Boxerjim said:

On my most recent cruise, they refused to sell you buckets, buy drinks for others, buy drinks for yourself, etc.  Carnival has struck down on this hard, for some unknown reason.  They profit in the long run, but alas, that is why Norwegian's drinks package kicks their ass.  Bring on a rum runner, add liquor to your drinks that way.  Utilize the wine you bring onboard, or order a bottle at dinner.  But the other PAYING workarounds are disappearing fast.  Probably a matter of time before they shut you COMPLETELY off of ANY beverages, alcohol or not, when you hit 15.

 

Amen, I don’t understand why Carnival is known as the party ships, but are so hyper sensitive about drinks. 

 

I have more than double the trips on Carnival than Norwegian, so I’m not a Carnival hater, but it kills me that they let Norwegian wipe the floor with them on this subject. 

 

My recently booked trip on Vista was the same price as a similar NCL cruise that included the drink package; so in essence NCL was almost $400 cheaper, and NCL will let you get two drinks every time you go to the bar if you wish - no limits. 

Edited by Yellowjacket1799

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 8:53 PM, Boxerjim said:

On my most recent cruise, they refused to sell you buckets, buy drinks for others, buy drinks for yourself,

 

 

This is just not true as many people have mentioned. Some even say they have to open all the beers, they do not. I can think of at least 3 times I have bought buckets for people hanging around the bar. the bartender never blinked an eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, Diggerof4 said:

What is the purpose of opening drinks before you walk away from the bar?  So, that those bottle caps are not everywhere?  Does this include soda, can beer, etc ?   Just purely curious question.  I am a icy fruit girl, DH is beer.  

 

Original OP:  THANK YOU ! For posting this question. I was looking for this on a board, so glad you asked.  It not only answered my question but also other advice as well. 

 

The purpose is so that you don't walk by a bar every few minutes, grab an unopened beer and/or soda and start stockpiling them. People do this trick to take their stock piles into port or off the ship with them at the end (if they drive home). It's all you can drink on the ship (up to 15); not all you can stockpile and keep for later.

Edited by sanger727

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

 

The purpose is so that you don't walk by a bar every few minutes, grab an unopened beer and/or soda and start stockpiling them. People do this trick to take their stock piles into port or off the ship with them at the end (if they drive home). It's all you can drink on the ship (up to 15); not all you can stockpile and keep for later.

 

How much does a six pack cost in the US? Spending your time on a ship to get "free" beers is pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does this have to do with anything? A 6 pack on the ship is not $5.99 like the U.S. and you can't bring beer onboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, coevan said:

What does this have to do with anything? A 6 pack on the ship is not $5.99 like the U.S. and you can't bring beer onboard

 

I mean, if you are referring to me, that it's pathetic to spend your time on a ship to collect unopened beers because you haven't gotten your 15 drinks worth yet. And then to take them home.

Are people putting the "free" shampoo in the shower into empty bottles as well to take home?

Edited by AmazedByCruising

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who said they are taking beer home? I didn't read that anywhere. I have bought unopened back to my cabin fridge. Maybe take a roadie from the ship to the airport in Uber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coevan said:

Who said they are taking beer home? I didn't read that anywhere. I have bought unopened back to my cabin fridge. Maybe take a roadie from the ship to the airport in Uber


I did read that in post #67, "People do this trick to take their stock piles into port or off the ship with them at the end (if they drive home)", to which I replied and which I quoted for your convenience. 

 

I've brought beer and water to my cabin, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AmazedByCruising said:

 

How much does a six pack cost in the US? Spending your time on a ship to get "free" beers is pathetic.

 

I don’t disagree with you. But I’ve seen numerous posts from people; primarily that think they shouldn’t have to pay for any drinks in port since they have cheers. So they bring on coolers and talk about grabbing an unopened beer as often as they can to stock up to take the beers into port with them. Have seen at least a couple posts also from people saying that grabbed unopened beers to take home with them. For some people, they think that cheers is a pre-paid 15 drinks a day so if they don’t want to drink 15 drinks that they deserve to get the extra drinks to give away to friends or take with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So with Cheers when buying a bottle of wine and getting 25%off, where does that fit in with the 15 drink limit? Is it one drink? Is it 4 drinks( as in 4 glasses to a bottle)?

Or can you have the bottle plus 15 other drinks?

I just would like to know, without the AA and passed out comments thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bottles do not go against your Cheers. we bought a 1/2 price bottle of Cabernet and did not count against my Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, coevan said:

bottles do not go against your Cheers. we bought a 1/2 price bottle of Cabernet and did not count against my Cheers

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 9:01 PM, SNJCruisers said:

Church key....you're  showing your age now, LOL.

 I still call it a church key! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, coevan said:

 

 

I am not following you, non alcoholic do not count. Also, the drinks are not "watered down", they make them right infront of you, never saw them putting water in my drinks

Watered down from the ice melting.  I personally drink too quickly for this to be an issue, but the Cheers threads often tout how great it is to replace a drink as soon as the ice starts melting or the beer gets warm.

 

I never saw them put liquid water in my drinks, but generally they do put frozen water (ice).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest rehab or a trip to the Betty Ford Clinic...kidding; sailed Royal and Carnival and always wondered how Carnival came up with 15 drinks?  Would have loved to be in the pitch meeting - I would have suggested 20, someone else 10; 15 it is!  Royal is like who the heck cares most people pass out after 5 or 6....heck, raise the price of a beer to 10 bucks (which they have) and they will all get the unlimited drink package!  But you get (mediocre) specialty coffee and Mountain Dew, Orange Crush all ya can swallow too....makes my head hurt just thinking about it...cheers.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...