Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
CruisinShips

Has the in-cabin TV show/station selection improved?

Recommended Posts

Our last cruise on Royal (about a year ago)  left me with the post traumatic stress of having had to watch too many of the same (repeated) episodes of shows like Two Broke Girls, Impractical Jokers, and Say yes to the dress....in a loop.  Not that we spend all day and night watching TV, but it's usually on when we are in the cabin.

 

Same situation these days?  We will be on the Symphony in about a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the same episodes of Family Ties and Doogie Howser MD on Radiance in August that I saw on Sympony in January but at least in Alaska you didn't have all the cricket stuff on ESPN like you do in the Caribbean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Our last cruise on Royal (about a year ago)  left me with the post traumatic stress of having had to watch too many of the same (repeated) episodes of shows like Two Broke Girls, Impractical Jokers, and Say yes to the dress....in a loop.  Not that we spend all day and night watching TV, but it's usually on when we are in the cabin.

 

Same situation these days?  We will be on the Symphony in about a month.

Looped, repetitive, and having to hear the endless drivel from the CD and his annoying assistant who'd repeat everything said in Spanish. We just kept the TV off after hearing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has gotten worse. I was on Harmony last week and there were maybe 10 channels that were not cruise related. 5 of those were either sports or news related. The rest we just BAD.

 

Back in the day (2012) I remember they played movies (that they would show in the theater,) along with the other channels. 

 

I will however say, that they have a channel that plays Behind the scenes of RCCL stuff and I was fascinated by  that stuff!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, cruisers423 said:

I saw the same episodes of Family Ties and Doogie Howser MD on Radiance in August that I saw on Sympony in January but at least in Alaska you didn't have all the cricket stuff on ESPN like you do in the Caribbean.

Or God forbid Soccer!   This spring on Symphony 200 people were crowded in Playmakers watching a "match on the pitch"  I kept hearing thunderous cheering and applause, I kept walking over and the score was still 0-0!     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some years back we were on the "Norway" for a b2b and got to watch most of the O.J. trial live!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've given up on the stateroom TV. We loaded CNBC and BritBox on our iPads and watch those whenever we're in the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, molly361 said:

It has gotten worse

 

Agreed.  They took away TCM and TNT, which were the only channels we had on while we were getting ready.  Now the TV does not even go on, except maybe to look at the map.

 

And while we are complaining about the TV, they should stop with the constant messages.  There are so many advertising (spa, casino, art, etc.) messages, that we don't even look at them anymore.  If they sent us anything important, we would not see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, loveheart said:

It was worse than I ever remember on Indy this year.

Hideous on Harmony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as we can use the phone app to check our account, the TV never comes on once.

 

Besides, I already know the episodes of "House", dubbed into Portuguese, by heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

 

Agreed.  They took away TCM and TNT, which were the only channels we had on while we were getting ready.  Now the TV does not even go on, except maybe to look at the map.

 

And while we are complaining about the TV, they should stop with the constant messages.  There are so many advertising (spa, casino, art, etc.) messages, that we don't even look at them anymore.  If they sent us anything important, we would not see it.

I like the map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are the input ports (HDMI/Composite) on the TV accessible? I was wondering if I should bring my classic SNES to play during downtime in the cabin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I like the map.

 

We do too, but it can be a bit boring after a few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The most frustrating part is that they’re showing good films on the poolside big screen but don’t relay them to the cabin. Families with younger children have to be back in the room early so please give some entertainment 🙏🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

We do too, but it can be a bit boring after a few hours.

I usually end up watching Netflix or Amazon Prime if needed on my Ipad with a blue tooth speaker or headphones..😉  Sometimes one needs to zone out to a flick or show.🤪

 

I ended watching some movies a few nights with my grand daughter after a long day of fun.👀

 

Edited by Judyrem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do they have any pay per view movies? It seems there is always at least one night I like to watch a movie and wouldn't mind paying $12-15 to view a good one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RCI TV is HORRIBLE !!!!

On our last two cruises on Freedom (southern caribbean) and Vision (Med/Greece) we were able to use our Firestick and watched Netflix & Amazon Prime on our cabin TV...thank goodness !!!

Edited by Ashland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ashland said:

RCI TV is HORRIBLE !!!!

On our last two cruises on Freedom (southern caribbean) and Vision (Med/Greece) we were able to use our Firestick and watched Netflix & Amazon Prime on our cabin TV...thank goodness !!!

How did you do it?  I am tech challenged, in fact I know less than my 10 year old granddaughter.🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tjdmhem said:

the map is great.

Yes it is.

 

"I like Santa"

 

"I caught you a delicious bass".

Edited by Judyrem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...