Getting back up to speed

DryCreek

I am going to start making some reservations shortly.  I used the Galveston Park-N-Cruise last time.  They are right across the street, so it was an easy walk.  They are small, so I guess making reservations there earlier rather than later will be important - especially since Carnival is now running three large cruise ships.  I looked at our reservation from that trip - it was only $30 for an advance booking with a 5-Day Western Caribbean (Ecstacy).  Looks like it's going to run $80 for our cruise.

I also found out that the State of Texas now assesses a tax on all alcohol and cigarettes brought back from a cruise (if foreign-purchases or from Duty-Free shop).  Looks like the days of getting a bargain are all over.  We aren't saddened by the tax on smokes, but dang, I like good Caribbean dark rums.  Not only do they charge a tax, but they also tack on an "Admin Fee".  Wow.

Looks like the DW wants to see Monkeys, Parrots and Pirates at Mahogany Bay (Roatan?) and the Jungle Cruise in Belize.  Cozumel will be a hang-around the ship terminal for a bit before retiring to the balcony to watch for the ever-entertaining Pier Runners.  Well, that's our plan for Cozumel, unless we are super lucky an dock at Punta Langosta!

NEXT QUESTION FOR GETTING BACK UP TO SPEED:

Cruiseware.

Cruisewear?  Nope.  We've pretty much got proper attire all figured out.  Even for Elegant Night.

No, I'm asking about Cruiseware.  Accouterments brought along to facilitate your cruise.  Items you pack.  I guess that I should explain what brought the question up:  Today I was in the attic looking for a small appliance my wife thought may be up there.  While looking around, I noticed that we had umpteen bazillion of those plastic insulated mugs.  Of all sizes and shapes too. I decided that they've spent the last of their days languishing in the heat and solitude up there, and I bagged them all up to stock the kitchen up with at work.  Anyway, while digging around, I came across - you guessed it - Tervis Tumblers.  Both of them.  Purchased ten years ago for our last cruise.  Times change, new items are introduced.  The stainless steel vacuum tumblers had relegated all of our plastic insulated mugs to the attic shelves.  What is the popular vessel for drinks aboard the cruise ships now?  Are the Tervis Tumblers still used, or has their time passed?  If they are no longer mainstream, where exactly are they in the timeline to oblivion?  I ask because sometimes one can be on the cutting-edge of trendsetting by knowing when a past fad has slowly grown past being passé.  That's when the trendsetter seizes the opportunity to reintroduce a "classic" and will be heralded for starting a new retro-cool trend.  I could be the one to bring back a product that's been ignored for far too long!

Or, they could go into the bag and head into work with me on Monday morning.

Edited by DryCreek
corrected word selection (bag for back).

Well, you won't be reintroducing any new (old) trends. A lot of people bring tumbler cups, travel mugs, sports bottles, what have you of varying brands. I myself take a sports bottle type and carry it with me if I'm going to be hanging out somewhere for a while or fill it up and leave it in our cabin fridge. I don't ever use it at a bar, but from what I've read, experiences vary as to whether or not a bartender will fill someone's personal cup with things like sodas & juices. If you choose to fill it up at one of the Lido drink stations, for sanitary reasons, you're supposed to use one of their clean plastic cups to fill your own.

• Like 1

Well, it looks like I'll just keep them for now.  They may have one more cruise left in them after all!  It's good to see that they haven't fallen out of favor.  I was wondering how the metal type tumblers would be treated passing through security.  Being metallic, they'd show right up and could give the screeners reason to poke though your bag.

The tumblers would be primarily used for mixing our own and carrying them to the Serenity Deck or Lido Deck.  Or to play putt-putt or even for a stroll.  They wouldn't be for general use at the fountains or bars.  As a rule, I only drink soda when it's been properly sanitized.  I shudder to think of the unsanitary conditions those drinks are bottled (canned) under!   A healthy dollop of a decent sanitizer helps alleviate those concerns dramatically.

I wonder if they make a stemless wineglass style Tervis Tumbler?  We will be bringing two bottles of wine onboard for this next trip.

11 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Well, you won't be reintroducing any new (old) trends. A lot of people bring tumbler cups, travel mugs, sports bottles, what have you of varying brands. 

This was a tongue in cheek reference to the huge fad that Tervis Tumblers has become ten years ago when we first cruised.  It almost seemed to be a ritual to be seen with one.  It was on top of the list for must-haves when discussing what to bring along.  I think it was above the hanging shoe rack, but just below the power strip - so that would make it the number 2 item to pack.

The only reason we ended up with our two was because we found them on clearance at a store that was closing.  Gen-you-wine Tervis Tumblers made in the good ol' USA for only $5 each.  Kinda' hard to pass that up.

• 2 weeks later...

The pieces are all coming together now.

Renewed passports came in the mail Saturday.  Renewed passport card came in the mail today.

We have also narrowed down our choices for shore excursions.

And, I may book parking at Falstaff this time.  Their advance booked covered parking is the price same as Galveston Park-N-Cruise open parking.  Besides, I have sent e-mails to P-N-C asking if it is too early to book parking, and never heard back from them - even after mentioning that we used them on our first cruise.

The coin flip comes down to the convenience we enjoyed being able to just stroll across the street after debarkation (is that a real word?) vice having to wait for a shuttle to get to our vehicle.  The DW pointed out that in mid-February we could be trudging along in a cold, damp rain.

Hey there, welcome back.  We used Victor Bodden for a private tour in Roatan and got to see everything we wanted as well as hired a private boat/snorkeling tour for the 2 of us, great time.  They also do many different tours, certainly something your DW will enjoy.  We enjoyed it very much.  We've also parked at the Galveston Port parking however there is a mini bus that takes you to the ship.  I don't think walking would be that pleasant, but your boots are probably more comfortable than mine!  We sailed on the Vista last year and enjoyed it as well, liked the Breeze better but no real complaints with the Vista.  We just booked a cruise on the Freedom for early January 2020.  Y'all are going to have a great time, sailing in February is very nice. You will go to sleep on night and it will be chilly and wake up with it much warmer, good times!!  Looking forward to hearing how you enjoy your cruise. 
🙂

1 hour ago, DryCreek said:

The pieces are all coming together now.

Renewed passports came in the mail Saturday.  Renewed passport card came in the mail today.

We have also narrowed down our choices for shore excursions.

And, I may book parking at Falstaff this time.  Their advance booked covered parking is the price same as Galveston Park-N-Cruise open parking.  Besides, I have sent e-mails to P-N-C asking if it is too early to book parking, and never heard back from them - even after mentioning that we used them on our first cruise.

The coin flip comes down to the convenience we enjoyed being able to just stroll across the street after debarkation (is that a real word?) vice having to wait for a shuttle to get to our vehicle.  The DW pointed out that in mid-February we could be trudging along in a cold, damp rain.

Planning is part of the fun for us. We're sailing out of NOLA in December. Up until now, we've always had to take summer cruises because of school, so this will be our first winter cruise. Looking forward to experiencing the difference. Oh and yes, debarkation is a word. 😉 Actually, you can say debarkation or disembarkation, both are correct. I prefer debarkation because the other just sounds weird to me. LOL

• Like 1

The Horizons Restaurant is the dining room for YTD on the Vista -- it's the aft dining room, accessible from both decks 3 and 4.

We love YTD for the total flexibility it allows. Shortly before you're ready to dine, you can request your table through the Hub app and you will be notified when it is ready (much easier than having to go up to deck 5 to request your table in person).  Our waits were typically 5-15 minutes before we received the table ready notification, and this was always at least 5-10 minutes sooner than the estimated ready time when we first submitted the request.

Edited by CanTex
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Planning is part of the fun for us. We're sailing out of NOLA in December. Up until now, we've always had to take summer cruises because of school, so this will be our first winter cruise. Looking forward to experiencing the difference. Oh and yes, debarkation is a word. 😉 Actually, you can say debarkation or disembarkation, both are correct. I prefer debarkation because the other just sounds weird to me. LOL

True....and so is debark.

debark
[dēˈbärk]

VERB
  1. leave a ship or aircraft.
    "we debarked from our cruise ship for a day of fun"
    synonyms:
    get off · step off · leave · go ashore · detrain · land · arrive · alight from · 
    • unload (cargo or troops) from a ship or aircraft.
      "the ship would simply sail into the harbor, dock, and begin debarking troops"