Cruise Critic Community
phonejock

Silly question Northern lights

Ok, I know there no guarantees.  Looking at the "Searching for the northern lights" cruise  on the Island in October 2020.

It is mostly in Northern Norway.   Has anyone done this and has had luck seeing the Northern lights?  

It is on DH bucket list so I thought I would ask.  Thanks in advance.   

You probably have a good chance. We saw some dim northern lights in August in Iceland. In October, the odds should be much better.

We have done a number of northern  WB TAs in the fall and on one, we could sign up to be called in the middle of the night to alert us to good visibility.  The capt. even turned off the outside lights on the ship to enhance the experience.  The only color was green and we were underwhelmed.  From photos I've seen since then, that may be the only color.

Edited by BarbinMich

From times I have seen them in Northern Wisconsin, I know that the color can also be white: a whispie, ghost like white, or even a bright white.  One time the white was so bright, I thought there must be a used car lot over there.  Then I realized there was no used car lot over those dark woods...   🙂🎆🎇🌠🌌

26 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Right now the northern lights are really picking up in the north so I would think you'd have a great shot at seeing them in October.  I like to visit Space Weather to look at the pictures.  Here's the link to the aurora pictures

https://spaceweathergallery.com/aurora_gallery.html

26 minutes ago, jenf22 said:

Right now the northern lights are really picking up in the north so I would think you'd have a great shot at seeing them in October.  I like to visit Space Weather to look at the pictures.  Here's the link to the aurora pictures

https://spaceweathergallery.com/aurora_gallery.html

Great pics on your recommended website!  The 8th picture has that bright used car lot look, like I mentioned above...  🙂

We've seen them during an Alaska cruise in mid September off our balcony at midnight......it's a crapshoot but odds are better on this cruise

On 9/13/2019 at 5:00 AM, phonejock said:

Ok, I know there no guarantees.  Looking at the "Searching for the northern lights" cruise  on the Island in October 2020.

It is mostly in Northern Norway.   Has anyone done this and has had luck seeing the Northern lights?  

It is on DH bucket list so I thought I would ask.  Thanks in advance.   

We leave for that cruise in about a month. Hoping to see the lights in Norway. I've never seen them. I guess they were pretty nice one night when we were camping recently but we had lots of cloud cover. The place we were at the next night said they had been very nice there the night before. D'Oh! My wife is originally from South Dakota and saw the lights when she was young but I've never seen them so hopefully we will get lucky in Norway.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

We leave for that cruise in about a month. Hoping to see the lights in Norway. I've never seen them. I guess they were pretty nice one night when we were camping recently but we had lots of cloud cover. The place we were at the next night said they had been very nice there the night before. D'Oh! My wife is originally from South Dakota and saw the lights when she was young but I've never seen them so hopefully we will get lucky in Norway.

Bucket list item for Chuck and I....can't wait!

We were on a WB TA several years ago between Norway and Iceland and saw the Northern Lights.  We signed up with the bridge to be called if the lights appeared.  We received the call about 1:00 AM, went up on the rear of the ship and saw the lights.  We were told that the lights appear different in a camera than they do with the naked eye.  The cruise was in September.

Thank you all

Suzyed, I look forward to hearing your report when you get back. Have a great time