Jump to content

Travel agent blocks Royal Up question


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

But the TA does get an increase in commission if the client's RoyalUp bid is accepted, right?

minimal as the cost of the cabin only goes up by the amount of the bid.   (commission is based on the cost of the cruise, not the list price of the cabin)...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

So what would be a reason that a travel agency would opt out of the RoyalUp program?

It would be the same reason as why a TA charges for changes.   They will need to re-do their paperwork for a different cabin number, type, cost, etc.    I guess they don't want to be bothered !!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stevea36 said:

minimal as the cost of the cabin only goes up by the amount of the bid.   (commission is based on the cost of the cruise, not the list price of the cabin)...

 

So could that be the reason the travel agency doesn't want to deal with it?  Too much work for too little return?  Plus, some travel agencies give some percentage of the fare back on a gift card, so that may complicate the process, being so close to the sailing date.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

So what would be a reason that a travel agency would opt out of the RoyalUp program?

That was going to be my next question. 

It would mean more commission without any effort...like a bonus. 

I cannot imagine any TA turning that down. 

And how would they stop the client from doing it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

That's the part I don't know. 

My big box TA calls Royal to check for price reductions, lets me change cabins, etc. Maybe they do allow bidding for an upgrade, even though they don’t notify of a free one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello

 

our 9/1 Allure cruise, that never happened, was booked through a large online ta.  We have never received an offer for a free upgrade, however, did receive an email for a royal up bid.  I always  thought the reason we were never upgraded (based on status) was due to booking via a ta. 

 

Booking onboard and then transferring to a ta.  What are the rules and what are 5e benefits?  Haven’t done this in years. 

 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Hello

 

our 9/1 Allure cruise, that never happened, was booked through a large online ta.  We have never received an offer for a free upgrade, however, did receive an email for a royal up bid.  I always  thought the reason we were never upgraded (based on status) was due to booking via a ta. 

 

Booking onboard and then transferring to a ta.  What are the rules and what are 5e benefits?  Haven’t done this in years. 

 

Thanks!

There is no longer anything such as free upgrades, the upgrade fairy has gone away (replaced by Royal Up).

 

The rules to transfer to a TA are simple..

  • within 60 days from booking
  • before final payment due date
  • cruise cannot be paid in full
  • transfers only from RCI to a TA

The benefits depend on the specific TA, some offer On Board Credit, some perks, some gift cards, etc.  These are usually in addition to the perks you get for booking onboard.

 

Upgrades never had anything to do with how you booked (TA or not).

 

Also, not everyone gets an offer to do a RoyalUp bid.   I have no idea how they select the audience, but I have/have not received the option on different cruise.

 

Steve

 

Edited by stevea36
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

Why can't you just put in a bid without telling the TA?  What happens when you go the Royal Caribbean website to enter your bid?  (Maybe it will work and your TA doesn't have to know.)

 

 https://www.royalcaribbean.com/booked/cruise-room-upgrade

 

The link won't work if the travel agent has opted out.  It will just say you aren't eligible.  The big box TA does have a disclaimer hidden in their help section that they don't participate in upgrade bidding programs, but I agree it should be more readily posted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

So what would be a reason that a travel agency would opt out of the RoyalUp program?

A couple of reasons that I can think of.

 

There would be extra administrative costs in dealing with the extra commission that’s coming in and getting a portion of it to the right agent.  They would end up getting extra calls asking questions about the program once clients received the email.

the big box stores business model is one call from the client...to book the cruise and hopefully no more contact other than final payment.  They are giving away most of their commission so as little contact with the client as possible makes them the most money.

 

don't forget that most bids are small bids.  A $100 pp bid only results in a commission of $32 and many more bids (potential calls) don’t even get accepted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, irishgal432 said:

The only thing you can do is to call and voice a complaint. I have done an non every cruise I have booked. They are still under the assumption it works like the ncl program where they have to get involved. Explain to them as I have done that the ta does not have to be involved. 

I book on NCL with a TA.  My offer to bid comes directly to my email address from NCL.  I then go to my account at NCL to place my bid.  If it is accepted, the charge goes directly on my credit card.  The TA does not get involved in any way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Katie H said:

I book on NCL with a TA.  My offer to bid comes directly to my email address from NCL.  I then go to my account at NCL to place my bid.  If it is accepted, the charge goes directly on my credit card.  The TA does not get involved in any way.

While you may not see it the TA is still involved.  They have administrative costs associated with the extra commission and getting it distributed correctly, increased calls from customers with questions about the program, calls from customers requesting new luggage tags or documents etc..

Edited by Ourusualbeach
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a gut feeling that Royal did not  get feedback  or buy in from their TA partners about Royal Up which is administered by a third party. Not surprised that some of their TA partners are raising the red flag and pushing back on this Royal Up program. Royal Up creates the environment where passengers book lower categories and hoping to bid more later on for a more desirable category. Apparently the TA’s are not benefiting commission wise from bids that are accepted at a higher fare via Royal Up. Seems like Royal created this monster and TA’s are fighting back.

Edited by coaster
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, coaster said:

I have a gut feeling that Royal did not  get feedback  or buy in from their TA partners about Royal Up which is administered by a third party. Not surprised that some of their TA partners are raising the red flag. Royal Up creates the environment where passengers book lower categories and hoping to bid more later on for a more desirable category. Apparently the TA’s are not benefiting commission wise from bids that are accepted at a higher fare via Royal Up. Seems like Royal created this monster and TA’s are fighting back.

TA’s absolutely do benefit from any upgrades awarded to accepted bids from customers.  They earn full commission on the entire upgrade amount.  

Edited by Ourusualbeach
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

TA’s absolutely do benefit from any upgrades awarded to accepted bids from customers.  They earn full commission on the entire upgrade amount.  

I stand corrected. No excuse for TA’s to opt out of the Royal Up program.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, coaster said:

I stand corrected. No excuse for TA’s to opt out of the Royal Up program.

See post 39.  The TA’s that have opted out are big box stores who give away 2/3 of their commission or more.  They want as little interaction with the client as possible.  The more interaction the more it costs them in labour and administrative costs.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

TA’s absolutely do benefit from any upgrades awarded to accepted bids from customers.  They earn full commission on the entire upgrade amount.  

Sorry,  but I don’t know your background. How do you know TA’s are getting commission in regards to accepted Royal Up offers? The offers are being sent directly to the passengers and bypassing the TA’s. How would a TA even know an upgrade was offered let alone the acceptance by the passenger to pay a higher fare?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, coaster said:

Sorry,  but I don’t know your background. How do you know TA’s are getting commission in regards to accepted Royal Up offers? The offers are being sent directly to the passengers and bypassing the TA’s. How would a TA even know an upgrade was offered let alone the acceptance by the passenger to pay a higher fare?

I’m a TA.

 

see this flyer, the last q and a

 

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Misc/18065216_RoyalUp_Trade_FAQ_Flyer.pdf

 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

A couple of reasons that I can think of.

 

There would be extra administrative costs in dealing with the extra commission that’s coming in and getting a portion of it to the right agent.  They would end up getting extra calls asking questions about the program once clients received the email.

the big box stores business model is one call from the client...to book the cruise and hopefully no more contact other than final payment.  They are giving away most of their commission so as little contact with the client as possible makes them the most money.

 

don't forget that most bids are small bids.  A $100 pp bid only results in a commission of $32 and many more bids (potential calls) don’t even get accepted. 

 

Well then, if the bids aren't accepted, there is no work for the TA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...