Perks for Top Suite Passengers on Seabourn

Cliosophic

12 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We have been in a Penthouse suite or higher on all three of our past Seabourn cruises.  We should have received two point a night for 35 nights.   I asked Seabourn and they stated that since we didn’t pay the original brochure price, we only receive one point.

I was hoping to get some laundry on our next cruise in April but you only get laundry with 70, not 35 points.   

So did you take an upsell? 

On 9/14/2019 at 5:22 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Our stewardess always had some wonderful surprise for us in the cabin. One evening she had the tub all set up with roses and special spa products.   

I’ve had suite stewardesses do this for me in veranda suites as well as in penthouse suites.  I believe this is less a benefit of what suite you are in and more a perk of who your suite stewardess is.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jenidallas said:

I’ve had suite stewardesses do this for me in veranda suites as well as in penthouse suites.  I believe this is less a benefit of what suite you are in and more a perk of who your suite stewardess is.

Yep...

We got free laundry last time with 35 nights    if that has changed to 70   booo

After giving this thread a lot of though, I'm convinces OP post isn't even real.  About every 3 months someone, with almost no post history, drops a grenade like post in our SB forum and stirs up the pot.  This OP's post doesn't even make sense.  No one is this arrogant or mean spirited.  The last time I saw this "grenade" style post was when someone with a history of 2 posts total on cruisecritic said: "I was just on Crystal and SB's internet policy sucks" - more or less.

So there!

On 9/15/2019 at 8:43 AM, MrsWaldo said:

Well I've sailed in an Owners Suite and in a Verandah suite and there was no noticeable difference in the way I was treated in either. 

No obvious extra dinners with officers etc.  In fact, we only had 1 hosted dinner  when we were Owners vs every few nights in a Verandah.  

Sometimes people think they are getting a better offer because they paid more but in reality it's been loyalty or membership level that is providing the perks.

I've never experienced "classism" on SB and hope I never do.

Mrs Waldo Thinking about your comment about "classism" made me think about the 70 odd days we have had with Seabourn I can remember only a couple of passengers who have mentioned that they are in an "upper" class suite. The conversation to which cabin type people have got never seems to comes up unlike other cruise lines we have been on

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

only a couple of passengers who have mentioned that they are in an "upper" class suite. 

There was one couple on our Antarctica cruise  

I had a good laugh because we went mid ship low Verandah and not Penthouse  because I wasn't sure if we were getting Drake's Lake.   The day they closed the elevators I was like, winner winnerrrrrrr!    Our couple were very seasick and suite bound due to mobility.

17 hours ago, raphael360 said:

After giving this thread a lot of though, I'm convinces OP post isn't even real.  About every 3 months someone, with almost no post history, drops a grenade like post in our SB forum and stirs up the pot.  This OP's post doesn't even make sense.  No one is this arrogant or mean spirited.  

I disagree about your assessment. Go back and read the original post in this thread; it is by no means a grenade, nor arrogant or mean spirited. I think it legitimately reflects that on other cruise lines, those who pay for upper-level suites do get more benefits that are often significant to the cruise experience. And that's simply fact. We know people who travel on one of the mass-market cruise lines, but in an upper-tier suite in order to get access to private dining rooms and other benefits that separate them from the masses on those larger ships. The OP here stated they were new to Seabourn and were curious why they didn't see any of this sort of information on the website. It seemed like a legitimate question.

I am also in agreement with the OP (and minority opinion).  We took our first cruise on Seabourn this past June (11 days to Alaska) and booked a Signature Suite.  We have been on many mass market cruises but this was our first luxury cruise line.  We had actually stopped cruising because we were so unhappy with the mass market lines.  The upper-tier suite did not help us in getting additional reservations in the TK.  Nor did we receive any extra or special recognition from the officers.   We booked the room for the size and location and the additional benefit of free Wi-Fi.    We were happy with the room and cruise overall but surprised by the lack of any distinction of the upper suites.  It will not stop us from cruising Seabourn again.  We now know what to expect.

One of the perks, if you will, is that SB does not have classes on their ships.  Yes..the Wintergarden  is larger and a bit more luxurious.  If you're into fresh flowers and handshakes with the HD, then, by all means..go for it.  But, rest assured , the TP is the same in V1 and in the Winterarden Suite.

I note that the post that many found somewhat objectionable came from a later poster, and not the original poster.  

I think that most Seabourn guests probably see this issue like we do---it is so much easier to go on a cruis  line like Seabourn--which is all inclusive (mostly) and where everyone is treated essentially the same--rather than booking a cruise where you need to decide where on the stratum of passengers you wish to reside.  

One of the reasons we chose SB was the fact that there was none of this class stuff, eating in different restaurants or having private decks according to where you laid your head at night.  As far as we've been aware, everyone is treated the same and that's what I like.  I'm sure you get to dine with the Captain maybe if you are in an Owners suite for a World cruise, but we feel just as valued by the SB staff in a Verandah suite, maybe we're just oblivious and too busy enjoying ourselves to notice 😂

Edited by Mauzac
spelling!
  • Like 2

I think that there may well be some 'perks' for top suite dwellers, but these are generally invisible, and the people involved do not go round boasting about them.

One exception was that of a couple who apparently refused to eat in the dining room, and were in TK each evening, which was noticed by others.  No one was sure if they were top suite dwellers or just complainers!

Now we always take penthouse suite or above, but have sailed in verandas many times, and I would again in a heartbeat. I can assure you there is no more special attention or "perks" rather than those aforementioned.

If you are looking for some attention or bragging rights than may I suggest Seabourn isnt going to be the place you get your kicks, as passengers don't roll like that! The beauty of SB is very much in the fact that nobody feels the need to tell people where they are staying, hence the intense dislike by many,myself included, of the retreat, which is just not the Seabourn way.

• Like 3

I do feel for the OP, who having experienced the "perks" offered by other cruise lines has asked an innocent question about  what to expect that may be similar in Seabourn's top suite. I believe it was a genuine question and it's a reasonable one to ask if prior experience has been with the other lines who have a less egalitarian system than Seabourn's.

I hope that the lack of these extras hasn't put the poster off Seabourn.

• Like 2

Agreed, Isklaar.  The other lines do tend to mention extensively the 'perks' on offer, and Seabourn does not, so it was quite understandable that the OP asked the question.   I hope that they will feel from the general tone of the replies that Seabourn will be right for them.

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

One exception was that of a couple who apparently refused to eat in the dining room, and were in TK each evening, which was noticed by others.  No one was sure if they were top suite dwellers or just complainers!

Indeed!  No idea if they were top suite or just a mere mortal (like us!), but they had the same table every night (that could seat 4+) apparently.  

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

We had two of them on our cruise too, a lot of people similarly noticed. 

Eating nightly at TK? How could anyone do that? The food - all the main courses especially - is so rich and some such as the chicken and sole so salty and bathed in butter, not to mention how rich the steaks are, makes TK an occasional treat. I could not digest such food more often than that. 

I imagine that these perennials made a fuss about something and, rather than allow the MDR maître d’ manage the situation going forward, made up their own terms as a solution. If so, then these characters are hardly worth the effort. Sooner or later their cholesterol levels will respond as to how clever they were with the tactic. Good luck to them.

About the lady who commandeered a table of 4 for herself, it’s sorta sad she can’t find someone with whom to share a meal. Probably gets through the course quickly. That’s make for a sad experience in my book. I knew a couple on another line that reserved one of the 2 top suites for years on the world cruise and they ate dinners with their stuffed toy animals. At least they had company of a sort and no one seemed to mind given that these were fixed table assignments. But on Seabourn- with its egalitarian product? Seems a bit pretentious and lonely.

Anyway, the MDR on the Ody class ships is large enough to accommodate most passengers at the same time, including those with their own personal quirks. Now that I think of it, I have not heard of such behaviors at the Colonnade or Patio Earth and Ocean restaurants.

Happy and healthy sailing!