Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Joebucks

Do you enjoy the "less glorious" intineraries?

Recommended Posts

We love the 4 day weekend cruise.  These cruise are usually to Cozumel, or Freeport (HMC or Princess Cay) and Nassau.  The reason we like these cruises is that we leave Thursday late afternoon.  I'm in outside sales so this is actually a work day, but on a cruise ship (cell phones + iPad = office on the go).  I take Friday off as a vacation day and we arrive Monday morning and I start my work week on a cruise ship.  Living in Florida makes it easy.  These port are FUN and relaxing.  DW and I get away from life for a couple of days with good food, adult drinks and we dance the nights away.  

Edited by CruiseHealing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because we have young kids we enjoy every port on every cruise. We also do an excursion in every port because staying on the ship or just shopping in the port is sign of cruise failure at least to us and what we want to accomplish. With that being said there's no way we could get the same enjoyment going to Cozumel, Nassau, Costa Maya, Jamaica, etc over and over and over and over like some people. That is simply called settling ...... To get the most out of cruising you have to travel the world, and not just the caribbean. You need multiple cruise lines and many many different ships. Even my kids are ready to move on from the Caribbean ..... We took them on a 15 day Panama Canal in April and have a 12 day Alaska for next year and looking at the Norwegian Fjords for 2021. When my wife and I look back at our cruises together as well as the last 6 six with the kids I don't think we'd be nearly as happy if only having sailed the run of the mill cruise ports. Having sailed to the Panama Canal, Greece,  Alaska, Baltics, Russia including Moscow, Turkey, Egypt, and all over other countries in Europe makes sailing the "less glorious" ports quite a bit less glorious you could say indeed. 

Edited by tallnthensome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're at the stage where we like longer cruises, 10 days or more, and on ships or cruise lines we haven't sailed yet, to more "exotic" locales.  So to answer the OP's question, No!  But Sometimes Yes!

 

Examples of what we have booked are a 9 night Legend Norway Fjord, a 14 night NCL Buenos Aires Argentina around Cape Horn to Santiago Chile, and a week long on the Symphony of the Seas (new ship to us).  We booked an 11 night NCL Panama sailing, not for Panama which we have enjoyed many times, but for Cartegena and Santa Marta, 2 new ports for us.

 

Although they are not to die for bucket lists sailings, there are several Asian cruises we might do if we don't book land vacations in that area first.  We wouldn't do a Med sailing that included Cairo, but booked instead a 10 night Cairo/Luxor/Aswan land tour that includes a 4 day Nile cruise.  We'd prefer an African land safari instead of doing a cruise that ports in Capetown.

 

It's not that an eastern, western or southern Caribbean itinerary doesn't interest us any more, but we've stayed on most of the English speaking isles for at least a week, sometimes more.  Then throw in 20 or more cruises on a western, maybe 10 each on the eastern and southern, and we've gotten to know these isles fairly well.  Time to experience new areas while health still allows us this luxury.  Don't want any regrets, no coulda, shoulda, wouldas.

Edited by evandbob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Because we have young kids we enjoy every port on every cruise. We also do an excursion in every port because staying on the ship or just shopping in the port is sign of cruise failure at least to us and what we want to accomplish. With that being said there's no way we could get the same enjoyment going to Cozumel, Nassau, Costa Maya, Jamaica, etc over and over and over and over like some people. That is simply called settling ...... To get the most out of cruising you have to travel the world, and not just the caribbean. You need multiple cruise lines and many many different ships. Even my kids are ready to move on from the Caribbean ..... We took them on a 15 day Panama Canal in April and have a 12 day Alaska for next year and looking at the Norwegian Fjords for 2021. When my wife and I look back at our cruises together as well as the last 6 six with the kids I don't think we'd be nearly as happy if only having sailed the run of the mill cruise ports. Having sailed to the Panama Canal, Greece,  Alaska, Baltics, Russia including Moscow, Turkey, Egypt, and all over other countries in Europe makes sailing the "less glorious" ports quite a bit less glorious you could say indeed. 

 

I think it is pretty arrogant to state it is a failure or settling if people don’t cruise for the same reasons you do. People cruise for all sorts of reasons. I cruise to relax, have fun, and spend time with family and friends. I saw enough of the world during my 20 plus years in the military. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

I think it is pretty arrogant to state it is a failure or settling if people don’t cruise for the same reasons you do. People cruise for all sorts of reasons. I cruise to relax, have fun, and spend time with family and friends. I saw enough of the world during my 20 plus years in the military. 

 

I read tallnthensome's post and I didn't see where they stated it's a failure for others to cruise like them.  I did read that it said it was a "Cruise failure at least for us".  Okay, it devolved into "you have to travel the world etc.", but in today's non grammatical English, use of the word "you" means oneself 95% of the time, maybe even more on a non formal posting board.  People have gotten away from the proper use of personal pronouns, but I don't think we are here to parse others postings.

Edited by evandbob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

I think it is pretty arrogant to state it is a failure or settling if people don’t cruise for the same reasons you do. People cruise for all sorts of reasons. I cruise to relax, have fun, and spend time with family and friends. I saw enough of the world during my 20 plus years in the military. 

As Evandbob said,  I stated "to us" so relax ...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, evandbob said:

We're at the stage where we like longer cruises, 10 days or more, and on ships or cruise lines we haven't sailed yet, to more "exotic" locales.  So to answer the OP's question, No!  But Sometimes Yes!

 

Examples of what we have booked are a 9 night Legend Norway Fjord, a 14 night NCL Buenos Aires Argentina around Cape Horn to Santiago Chile, and a week long on the Symphony of the Seas (new ship to us).  We booked an 11 night NCL Panama sailing, not for Panama which we have enjoyed many times, but for Cartegena and Santa Marta, 2 new ports for us.

 

Although they are not to die for bucket lists sailings, there are several Asian cruises we might do if we don't book land vacations in that area first.  We wouldn't do a Med sailing that included Cairo, but booked instead a 10 night Cairo/Luxor/Aswan land tour that includes a 4 day Nile cruise.  We'd prefer an African land safari instead of doing a cruise that ports in Capetown.

 

It's not that an eastern, western or southern Caribbean itinerary doesn't interest us any more, but we've stayed on most of the English speaking isles for at least a week, sometimes more.  Then throw in 20 or more cruises on a western, maybe 10 each on the eastern and southern, and we've gotten to know these isles fairly well.  Time to experience new areas while health still allows us this luxury.  Don't want any regrets, no coulda, shoulda, wouldas.

I agree with all of this ...... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

As Evandbob said,  I stated "to us" so relax ...... 

 

My bad. I assume most people have basic grammar skills, but as Evanbob said, that isn’t always the case. I would never use the word “you” when talking about myself, so that is what threw me off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

 

My bad. I assume most people have basic grammar skills, but as Evanbob said, that isn’t always the case. I would never use the word “you” when talking about myself, so that is what threw me off. 

I sense a case of butthurt here ....... You, not me ...... better? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Because we have young kids we enjoy every port on every cruise. We also do an excursion in every port because staying on the ship or just shopping in the port is sign of cruise failure at least to us and what we want to accomplish. With that being said there's no way we could get the same enjoyment going to Cozumel, Nassau, Costa Maya, Jamaica, etc over and over and over and over like some people. That is simply called settling ...... To get the most out of cruising you have to travel the world, and not just the caribbean. You need multiple cruise lines and many many different ships. Even my kids are ready to move on from the Caribbean ..... We took them on a 15 day Panama Canal in April and have a 12 day Alaska for next year and looking at the Norwegian Fjords for 2021. When my wife and I look back at our cruises together as well as the last 6 six with the kids I don't think we'd be nearly as happy if only having sailed the run of the mill cruise ports. Having sailed to the Panama Canal, Greece,  Alaska, Baltics, Russia including Moscow, Turkey, Egypt, and all over other countries in Europe makes sailing the "less glorious" ports quite a bit less glorious you could say indeed. 

 

 

I was chuckling through most of this post.

 

"If you people don't cruise like we do, you're obviously doing it wrong."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Because we have young kids we enjoy every port on every cruise. We also do an excursion in every port because staying on the ship or just shopping in the port is sign of cruise failure at least to us and what we want to accomplish. With that being said there's no way we could get the same enjoyment going to Cozumel, Nassau, Costa Maya, Jamaica, etc over and over and over and over like some people. That is simply called settling ...... To get the most out of cruising you have to travel the world, and not just the caribbean. You need multiple cruise lines and many many different ships. Even my kids are ready to move on from the Caribbean ..... We took them on a 15 day Panama Canal in April and have a 12 day Alaska for next year and looking at the Norwegian Fjords for 2021. When my wife and I look back at our cruises together as well as the last 6 six with the kids I don't think we'd be nearly as happy if only having sailed the run of the mill cruise ports. Having sailed to the Panama Canal, Greece,  Alaska, Baltics, Russia including Moscow, Turkey, Egypt, and all over other countries in Europe makes sailing the "less glorious" ports quite a bit less glorious you could say indeed. 

 

 

Hi

 

I have been to many places all over the world, and you go to different places for different reasons.

 

Of course all the places you list are fine to visit, but if your goal is to have a short break from a Canadian winter and you love swimming in the ocean, then none of the places you mentioned would accomplish the task. 

 

Only those in the Caribbean will do this. The islands in the Caribbean with their weather and beaches have been a draw forever, and will continue to do so. There are daily flights bringing many thousand of people to each of the Caribbean island that you have mentioned. Many people have been returning to their same "favorite" resort. As you said over and over, not because they are "settling", but because that is what they enjoy. Next time you are in Alaska, let me know how your dip in the Pacific was (in January) . 😀

 

Maybe, I would not go to the Caribbean so often if I were limited to only one trip a year, but cruises and short resort stays are priced so that you can go for a long weekend if you want. Of course if you don't like beaches after a while all those beautiful beaches start looking the same. I don't want to forget, sitting back with a cold one in your hand watching the sunset gets pretty stale after a while. I almost start to miss my snowblower. 😀  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I have not been to any of these places 20+ times as others have I feel and hope that even when I have I will still enjoy them as I do today. For one thing I swear there is always something new to do. For another thing if there is something I enjoy doing I'll probably enjoy doing it again a time or two or ten. I still enjoy going to the same museums and zoos, Vegas hasn't changed much in my time going there but I still enjoy it. So I would say the "less glorious" are to me still very glorious. I enjoy getting away from the Montana winter to go to the beach and enjoy traveling and seeking out those new adventures even in old places.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We dont get to cruise much so when we go on one we like to experience new places. If we lived close to a port without a need for flight, we would most likely cruise shorter cruises from time to time just to get away and enjoy those "less glorious" itineraries and perhaps try a wider variety of ships/brands with last minute deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 3:23 PM, Joebucks said:

All the time, I see people snub their noses at Cozumel, Freeport, Nassau, etc.

 

These three ports are additional days at sea for us.

Edited by ronbe65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

 

These three ports are additional days a sea for us. I would add Costa Maya to this list.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don’t mind the short cruises to the Bahamas or Cozumel as they are easy to fit into a travel schedule. As far as other itineraries, we’re starting to avoid the basic 7 day Caribbean cruises and focus more on other options, such as Europe and our upcoming cruise to Antarctica. It’s nice to have a mix.

 

We travel very frequently by land and have been enjoying the Caribbean and Mexico that way in addition to our other trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'll snub my my nose at some itineraries. Doesn't mean I won't sail on them. We're currently booked on a B2B Western,  then Eastern cruises with what I consider crappy itineraries. But that's OK with us since all we want is a winter break with warm weather and relaxation. I can forsee us staying on the ship except for 2 or 3 ports, and I'm fine with that. It's just an alternative to going to an island AI. But most of the time we prefer to cruise on itineraries with interesting  ports we haven't visited before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how one defines "less glorious" but I'd say we're mostly going to do various European.  May New Zealand and perhaps Japan.  Oh, and Galapagos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking only for myself, but no, I don't enjoy the 'less glorious' itineraries.

 

I have been cruising a long time and done my share of Caribbean cruises. Many ports are so different now than they were in the 1970s -- much more crowded and commercialized. I enjoyed them as a kid when it really seemed like I was going somewhere very different. Now I step off the ship and see big hotel/resort chains, Diamonds International and Margaritaville. 

 

Also I don't cruise to stay on the ship or to get away from winter weather. I'm happy that those who do can enjoy it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

get away from winter weather.

We lived in snow country for 15 years and still get some.  Winter is certainly preferred over summer by me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 12:23 PM, Joebucks said:

All the time, I see people snub their noses at Cozumel, Freeport, Nassau, etc (I won't lie, I think Freeport needs some work, but I still find a way to have a good time). These have been the majority of my cruises, and I love them. Don't get me wrong, I probably look forward to an 8 day to Aruba the most. My 7 day on the Fascination was one of my favorite. I do think these ports get more hate than they deserve. I get that not all of us want to go to the same place every time, but I have a blast everywhere.

 

My next cruise is a 4 day to Cozumel only out of New Orleans. I can't wait! Who else?

 

I wouldn't say I snub the places.  I'm just not into a lot of sun & beaches, so there are other places that I enjoy more.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer to the OP's question is no.  I cruise selectively and where cruising is the most practical travel option. I tried a Caribbean cruise and found it was a mind-numbing week of steaming from island to island, visiting ports that were indistinguishable and cramming into silly tourist bars with thousands of other cruisers. If I want a beach vacation I'll take an all-inclusive resort.  They are better value and less bother than a cruise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...