Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Mudhen

Clicquot champagne

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, English Voyager said:

 

............ and more recently this one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/champagne-prosecco-sparkling-wine/best-champagne-a7459321.html

 

.............. but @Trevor Fountain was not talking about supermarket own label champagnes (which are produced by the French Champagne Houses and labelled for the supermarkets).

Rather he inferred that any brand of champagne purchased from a supermarket would be inferior. I am genuinely intrigued as to why this might be.

Edited by flossie009

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

 

............ and more recently this one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/champagne-prosecco-sparkling-wine/best-champagne-a7459321.html

 

.............. but @Trevor Fountain was not talking about supermarket own label champagnes (which are produced by the French Champagne Houses and labelled for the supermarkets).

Rather he inferred that any brand of champagne purchased from a supermarket would be inferior. I am genuinely intrigued as to why this might be.

My guess would be that wines are not properly transported and/or stored In a supermarket setting.  They’re probably kept too warm and might be stored upright for longer periods of time.

 

Just a guess, though, as I don’t drink much champagne either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

My guess would be that wines are not properly transported and/or stored In a supermarket setting.  They’re probably kept too warm and might be stored upright for longer periods of time.

 

Just a guess, though, as I don’t drink much champagne either.

Exactly. The problem is Supermarket staff are not trained, nor do they have the time nor inclination to look after the champagnes. Of course what is inside a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label is the same when it leaves the champagne house, but what happens after it arrives at it's destination/retailler is another matter. 

Champagne shouldn't be stored under bright lights. If you notice, most of the houses premier cru's  are normally sold in a box of some description, that is not just a marketing tool, but to keep the bottle "in the dark".

I could talk for hours about Champagne, but if I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to try and make your purchase from a reputable dealer, where the bottle has probably not been handled by lots of curious shoppers, and then take your purchase home and store it in a cool dark place for as long as you are able. Your enjoyment of this wonderful drink will certainly be far greater than if you open it straight after you've bought it.

Also for those who can't finish a bottle in one go, forget the fancy bottle stoppers, just pop a teaspoon in the neck and pop it in the fridge. You will still have the bubbles the next day. Though I have to admit it would be a rare thing indeed for me to have any champers left once opened.

Happy drinking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 3:42 PM, Travelcat2 said:

 IMHO, Explorer is much better for a world cruise than either Mariner or Navigator.

when was explorer on world cruise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seaknots said:

when was explorer on world cruise?

It wasn’t.  I think TC was inferring it would be a better ship to take a WC on due to the added amenities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Exactly. The problem is Supermarket staff are not trained, nor do they have the time nor inclination to look after the champagnes. Of course what is inside a bottle of Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label is the same when it leaves the champagne house, but what happens after it arrives at it's destination/retailler is another matter. 

Champagne shouldn't be stored under bright lights. If you notice, most of the houses premier cru's  are normally sold in a box of some description, that is not just a marketing tool, but to keep the bottle "in the dark".

I could talk for hours about Champagne, but if I could give you one piece of advice, it would be to try and make your purchase from a reputable dealer, where the bottle has probably not been handled by lots of curious shoppers, and then take your purchase home and store it in a cool dark place for as long as you are able. Your enjoyment of this wonderful drink will certainly be far greater than if you open it straight after you've bought it.

Also for those who can't finish a bottle in one go, forget the fancy bottle stoppers, just pop a teaspoon in the neck and pop it in the fridge. You will still have the bubbles the next day. Though I have to admit it would be a rare thing indeed for me to have any champers left once opened.

Happy drinking!

All, I am sure, very good advice but simply not possible here in Switzerland.  We do not have wine merchants outside of some "boutique type places in the bigger cities on the Swiss plateau.  Either we buy from the wine grower (vigneron) directly or from a supermarket.   Liquor is another issue - we can buy from a dealer in Basel and that's where we get our Black Seal Rum!  But they don't sell wine or champagne.

Edited by Hambagahle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was pretty cute!

I'm still hoping that maybe, just maybe, some of the powers that be on Regent, might consider putting Clicquot splits in their bars. I'd be more than happy to pay an extra charge. I think there might be others who would be interested in that as well.

Hello Regent? Can ya hear me now?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...