Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cruisegirl6

First Timer on Celebrity and Chose the Edge

Recommended Posts

Hello,

 

About us, we are both 56, I been on 92 cruises, RC has been our favorite cruise line as well as Princess.  We decided to take a step in a different direction of cruising and we decided to try Celebrity.  We are booked on the Edge for December 15th and I been reading reviews on the Edge with alot of people that claim they do not care for the Edge.

 

I like to hear why you like or dislike the Edge and if you can give us any tips/opinions that would be appreciated.  We also haven't cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale for a long time, like to hear your experiences disembarking the ship.

 

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  was one who disliked it intensely, but since your goal is to try something different, Edge qualifies.  For me it was one and done.  

 

Disembarking was quick and efficient.  What concerns do you have about disembarking in Fort Lauderdale?

Edited by cruisestitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoyed the edge sailing- compared to princess- a real treat-  We were in a suite and really enjoyed the suite deck and restaurant- did have an oportunity to dine in a couple of regular restaurants which were great- the idea of different dining rooms feels like you are dining in a new special restaurant.  We also enjoyed the special restaurants- except Eden- which was a real silly gimmick with poor food.  Unfortunately, we found the entertainment not great- but that seems to be on all celebrity ships- not like RC oasis class ships which are fabulous.

 

The layout of the ship is also wonderful.  Shopping is high end and great to view and make some purchases.  No cheap magnets and tee shirts- buy at the ports.  We enjoyed the martini bar and the martini bar area-  However, we did miss the ice bars on the other s -m class ships.  

 

I really think you will enjoy the new terminal- disembarking and embarking the ship were easy.   Overall the ship is great and you will enjoy the experience.  We have a second sailing on the Edge in March.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I  was one who disliked it intensely, but since your goal is to try something different, Edge qualifies.  For me it was one and done.  

 

Disembarking was quick and efficient.  What concerns do you have about disembarking in Fort Lauderdale?

What did you not like about it? Many times new ship styles get poor reviews. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed on the Edge out of Ft. Lauderdale in February.  Especially enjoyed spending a few days before in FLL.

 

Getting on and off ship was a breeze.  Actually boarding was so fast I hardly had a chance to look at  everything.

 

We did missed the comfort of the Martini Bar with the ice.  It is smaller(not full oval bar) and you do not get to enjoy the company of others as much.

 

You do get to eat at different restaurants for regular dining but the menu is pretty much the same with a few exceptions.

 

We enjoyed the steak restaurant the best for specialty dining as that was the only one we had not enjoyed on previous Celebrity cruises.  Miss Murano.

 

I liked the Edge(even Eden) but do wonder if it is worth the extra cost.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edge Questions topic in this forum has a lot of info on the Edge. Must read. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No library, not even so much to get books as to find a cozy place to curl up and read.

 

No card room/game room

 

No front facing sky lounge or any place similar with use of where you would be going. Only where are you have been.

 

No bar in retreat.

 

Not enough interior bars so there was always a long wait for drinks

 

Not enough shade near the pool.

 

Hot tubs and pools were on different levels so it was difficult to go back-and-forth between them

 

Pitifully small closet

 

The TV didn’t swivel so It could only be seen straight on from the bed, not from the couch.  And the couch was more like a bench, hard as a rock, there didn’t appear to be any padding in the a pole street

 

There was no coffee table in the room so it was difficult to position room service trays.  Ended up having to put them on the bed.

 

The gray Decor I found depressing. As I have mentioned even the Christmas decorations were gray.

 

But the worst aspect of that ship to me was the constant,  pervasive thump thump thump music played at an excessively loud volume everywhere. Even the Christmas music had the same thump thump-dump quality.  It was inescapable.  The vibration could be heard, or felt, in my state room and I was nowhere near a bar or the theater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I  was one who disliked it intensely, but since your goal is to try something different, Edge qualifies.  For me it was one and done.  

 

Disembarking was quick and efficient.  What concerns do you have about disembarking in Fort Lauderdale?

We live in Jacksonville Florida and southwest pulled out of ft. lauderdale/jacksonville, which leaves us with JetBlue but we cannot make the 9:05am flight and the next one would be in early evening and having my elderly father in law (81) we don't want to sit hours at the airport, as a result, we booked American Airlines out of miami but the flight is 10:50 am....I realize its the weekened before Christmas and then there may be traffic jams on the highway getting to the airport....with this being said, we are chancing making our 10:50am flight out of Miami.  I am hoping I can get early disembarkation due to the fact we have an early flight out of Miami and just curious what it was like getting off the ship, would it take alot of time getting our luggage and getting out of the terminal into a cab.  Just hoping we can get into the cab by 9am at least.

 

What did you not like about Celebrity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I really enjoyed the edge sailing- compared to princess- a real treat-  We were in a suite and really enjoyed the suite deck and restaurant- did have an oportunity to dine in a couple of regular restaurants which were great- the idea of different dining rooms feels like you are dining in a new special restaurant.  We also enjoyed the special restaurants- except Eden- which was a real silly gimmick with poor food.  Unfortunately, we found the entertainment not great- but that seems to be on all celebrity ships- not like RC oasis class ships which are fabulous.

 

The layout of the ship is also wonderful.  Shopping is high end and great to view and make some purchases.  No cheap magnets and tee shirts- buy at the ports.  We enjoyed the martini bar and the martini bar area-  However, we did miss the ice bars on the other s -m class ships.  

 

I really think you will enjoy the new terminal- disembarking and embarking the ship were easy.   Overall the ship is great and you will enjoy the experience.  We have a second sailing on the Edge in March.

Thank you for the heads up about Eden, I may just not try that restaurant.  We aren't into shows really....We would love the Martini Bar for sure.  I am so glad to hear your enjoyed the ship and I am sure I will as well.  We may see one another on the Edge in March as we are thinking of going on the Harmony of the Seas again but I will book after the Edge because I have a feeling I may want to go back on her or even try the Equinox.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dazey said:

We sailed on the Edge out of Ft. Lauderdale in February.  Especially enjoyed spending a few days before in FLL.

 

Getting on and off ship was a breeze.  Actually boarding was so fast I hardly had a chance to look at  everything.

 

We did missed the comfort of the Martini Bar with the ice.  It is smaller(not full oval bar) and you do not get to enjoy the company of others as much.

 

You do get to eat at different restaurants for regular dining but the menu is pretty much the same with a few exceptions.

 

We enjoyed the steak restaurant the best for specialty dining as that was the only one we had not enjoyed on previous Celebrity cruises.  Miss Murano.

 

I liked the Edge(even Eden) but do wonder if it is worth the extra cost.

 

Thank you, what time did you get off the ship?  We are hoping we be off by 9am as we have to get a cab and run to Miami International for a flight at 10:50am!!!  (it is a sunday but the weekened before Christmas we know we chancing missing the flight).

 

We love mingling in with people that is a shame about the Martini Bar.  

 

Appreciate your feedback, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

No library, not even so much to get books as to find a cozy place to curl up and read.

 

No card room/game room

 

No front facing sky lounge or any place similar with use of where you would be going. Only where are you have been.

 

No bar in retreat.

 

Not enough interior bars so there was always a long wait for drinks

 

Not enough shade near the pool.

 

Hot tubs and pools were on different levels so it was difficult to go back-and-forth between them

 

Pitifully small closet

 

The TV didn’t swivel so It could only be seen straight on from the bed, not from the couch.  And the couch was more like a bench, hard as a rock, there didn’t appear to be any padding in the a pole street

 

There was no coffee table in the room so it was difficult to position room service trays.  Ended up having to put them on the bed.

 

The gray Decor I found depressing. As I have mentioned even the Christmas decorations were gray.

 

But the worst aspect of that ship to me was the constant,  pervasive thump thump thump music played at an excessively loud volume everywhere. Even the Christmas music had the same thump thump-dump quality.  It was inescapable.  The vibration could be heard, or felt, in my state room and I was nowhere near a bar or the theater.

Thank you for listing what you didn't like about the Edge.

The only things that would "bother" us would be not enough bars, but I am sure there are plenty, I wonder how many of those bar areas actually have live music?  The tump thump stuff we love music, my other half's hobby is music as he plays in two bands for fun (one band he is a drummer and the other he plays bass) so I am so used to all the noise lol.  I rather hear the noise/music than not have music.  We are going on December 15th and excited to have the before Christmas environment.  I do wish they had the Sky lounge but they have Eden, instead of the front it be in the back.

As for the gray, I think their concept was going contemporary/modern, don't have a problem with that and like the fact their decor in ships are all different, unlike RC same colors, same layout, etc.  Its nice to have diversity I think.

Edited by Cruisegirl6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do not misunderstand. My comments were not about Celebrity in general, they were specific to the edge.

 

As to what time I disembarked, I did not have to be off early so I did not ask for an early time. 

 

There are three interior bars. Eden, the Club, the martini bar. There is no rendezvous, no cellar masters, no world class Bar,  and when I was there the club was cold, dark, and the seats were uncomfortable. You could hang meat in there. Not a place I went back twice. I suppose they have that fixed by now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

 

About us, we are both 56, I been on 92 cruises, RC has been our favorite cruise line as well as Princess.  We decided to take a step in a different direction of cruising and we decided to try Celebrity.  We are booked on the Edge for December 15th and I been reading reviews on the Edge with alot of people that claim they do not care for the Edge.

 

I like to hear why you like or dislike the Edge and if you can give us any tips/opinions that would be appreciated.  We also haven't cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale for a long time, like to hear your experiences disembarking the ship.

 

Thank you.

Cruisegirl6, we sailed on Edge and enjoyed it.  We have sailed a lot on both Royal C and Celebrity.  First off welcome to Celebrity.  You will likely enjoy the Celebrity cruising experience.  You will see here and elsewhere on these boards that Edge has many fans and also many who are not.  Really with all of your cruising experience only you can decide.  Happy sailing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balcony lovers should really think twice before booking edge.  What they are calling infinity verandah are simply ocean view rooms with operable windows

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Do not misunderstand. My comments were not about Celebrity in general, they were specific to the edge.

 

As to what time I disembarked, I did not have to be off early so I did not ask for an early time. 

 

There are three interior bars. Eden, the Club, the martini bar. There is no rendezvous, no cellar masters, no world class Bar,  and when I was there the club was cold, dark, and the seats were uncomfortable. You could hang meat in there. Not a place I went back twice. I suppose they have that fixed by now. 

The good news, this is my first celebrity cruise so I wouldn't know what is missing.  lol. We are 56 don't think we be in the Club with the young ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Cruisegirl6, we sailed on Edge and enjoyed it.  We have sailed a lot on both Royal C and Celebrity.  First off welcome to Celebrity.  You will likely enjoy the Celebrity cruising experience.  You will see here and elsewhere on these boards that Edge has many fans and also many who are not.  Really with all of your cruising experience only you can decide.  Happy sailing!

Thank you!  I am positive with just the food to be better and the fact there are nice places to sit and see the sea we be very pleased, in fact, I am hoping to book up the next Celebrity ship when I get back.  😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Balcony lovers should really think twice before booking edge.  What they are calling infinity verandah are simply ocean view rooms with operable windows

I like that idea...we always have the balcony but I hate sitting outside in the heat, so this really works perfectly for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I like that idea...we always have the balcony but I hate sitting outside in the heat, so this really works perfectly for us.

We were on EDGE in January and very much enjoyed our infinite veranda cabin.  We always go with balconies and found the IV was a good fit.  The ship is fabulous; I’m sure you’ll enjoy yourself immensely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to the bars mentioned there is also a Casino bar and although we don’t frequent the casino we found the  casino bar to be a good spot for a drink.  

 

The Club is a 2 level space that is used for some activities during the day.  It has a bar and dance floor.  On our sailing it was where the Captains Club Cocktail hour was held in the early evening later there was music and dancing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be sure you join the Captain's Club before your cruise. I assume if you have sailed RCI a lot you are at least Diamond Crown and Anchor members. That makes you Elite on Celebrity. There are several perks associated with that level, some of which are similar to RCI's perks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We signed onto Celebrity and noticed we were already given a Captains Club number.  I wonder if that would give us any priority in dining room and specialty restaurant dining times?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From experience, for you to make a 10:50 flight out of MIA you will need to walk off well before 9am as MIA can have quite lengthy lines once you are at the airport.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

From experience, for you to make a 10:50 flight out of MIA you will need to walk off well before 9am as MIA can have quite lengthy lines once you are at the airport.  Good luck!

Yes, we will have to walk off the ship with our luggage, we do have TSA so maybe that will help.  We are hoping we get off the ship by 9am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you walk off with your luggage you should be okay.  Although we were leaving out of Ft.Lauderdale so I cannot comment on time to get to Miami airport.

 

It usually works out and one worries for nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're currently on our 4th X cruise.  We also had 1 cruise with NCL with friends.  Would not sail that again.  We always cruise Aqua Class in X.  We like Blu restaurant, we like two tops for dinner, we like the persian garden.  I looked at Edge and for what we enjoy doing on a ship, I didn't think the extra cost was justified.  We get an accessible room due to me needing automatic switches to open doors( I have arthritis).  The room is HUGE. I posted some pics in my review.    We don't drink, so the bars are not important. we attend some trivia/game shows.  We're pool people.  I like X's pools.   Are the pools nicer on Edge?  I don't know, but even if they are, I don't think its xxx amount of money nicer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...