Cruise Critic Community
traceytd

Need help please.

My DH and I will be doing Cabo, Mazatlan and PV for the first time in October (Royal Princess) I was just wondering what are the TOP THINGS TO DO AND SEE at each place. We love doing land and sea sightseeing tours. We don’t snorkel, and we are not big beach people but doing part of a tour on a beach Is doable just not all day. 

My ideal tour is land sightseeing, sea and shopping tours.

Any sugestions. And what would be the “not to miss” stops at each port..

thanks in advance.

Tracey

If you look down the board, each of your ports are covered in great detail. You should also look at what the ship is offering, that will give you ideas on key sites.

You shouldn't miss what interests you most.

Hi,

I think every cruiser has different ideas about what they would not miss at each of these ports.

I agree that you should read what is offered by your cruise line and then do some Googling to see if you can do that same experience on your own or with a local company. You can also join the Roll Call for your cruise on this site to see what others on your specific cruise are doing and maybe joining up with some of them.

We do these ports once a year for our Mexican "honeymoon".

Each time we go we try to do something different.

Since Cabo is a tender port I decided one year to take a ship excursion where I rode a camel on the beach! It was great!!

At other times we have walked in the ports ourselves and poked through the shops and had a margarita on land.

In Puerto Vallarta there's a lot of variety available from zip lining to tequila tasting , going inland to smaller towns and /or evening entertainment depending on how late your ship is in port.

Maybe do some research and the post on here what seems fun to you and folks can discuss your ideas.

Top sights:

Puerto Vallarta:  The Malecon, a "boardwalk" along the Bay.  Lots of sculpture, lots of shops, restaurants, bars.  There are a lot of excursions offered with zip-lining, beach resorts, boat tours, etc.  Go through the shore excursions listing on your cruise to get a flavor of them.

Mazatlán:  The Cathedral and the Central Market.  The Golden Zone.  The cliff divers.  There is a Hop-On, Hop-Off bus that visits these three locations; there is also a tour that does the same three locations (some of them include Look-Out Hill, with a view of El Faro Lighthouse).  

Cabo:  The main sight is El Arco.  Lots of glass-bottom boats will take you for a view.  

On 9/16/2019 at 1:49 PM, Mike45LC said:

Top sights:

Puerto Vallarta:  The Malecon, a "boardwalk" along the Bay.  Lots of sculpture, lots of shops, restaurants, bars. 

Totally worth it! I took the city bus there, get on right outside the pier and off at the Malecon. It's either $1usd or just a few pesos (50c). I didn't bother to change money

18 hours ago, Ombud said:

Totally worth it! I took the city bus there, get on right outside the pier and off at the Malecon. It's either $1usd or just a few pesos (50c). I didn't bother to change money

For $5 pp, you can take a mini-van from the pier to the Malecon.  Shorter walk, and saves the stress of having to figure out where the bus pick-up is, which bus takes you there, where to get off the bus, … 

If you walk outside of the ship terminal area, you can grab a cab to the Malecon for $6 - $8 for the cab, which will comfortably seat three (or less comfortably, 4).  You need to negotiate the fare in advance.  My wife has mobility issues, so I am not willing to walk the extra distance to save a couple of dollars.

For some people, the savings plus the "adventure" of taking the locals' bus makes the bus a much preferred transportation method.  I do not pass judgment either way.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:49 PM, Mike45LC said:

Top sights:

Puerto Vallarta:  The Malecon, a "boardwalk" along the Bay.  Lots of sculpture, lots of shops, restaurants, bars.  There are a lot of excursions offered with zip-lining, beach resorts, boat tours, etc.  Go through the shore excursions listing on your cruise to get a flavor of them.

Mazatlán:  The Cathedral and the Central Market.  The Golden Zone.  The cliff divers.  There is a Hop-On, Hop-Off bus that visits these three locations; there is also a tour that does the same three locations (some of them include Look-Out Hill, with a view of El Faro Lighthouse).  

Cabo:  The main sight is El Arco.  Lots of glass-bottom boats will take you for a view.  

Thanks 🙂🙂

On 9/19/2019 at 4:26 PM, Mike45LC said:

For $5 pp, you can take a mini-van from the pier to the Malecon.  Shorter walk, and saves the stress of having to figure out where the bus pick-up is, which bus takes you there, where to get off the bus, … 

If you walk outside of the ship terminal area, you can grab a cab to the Malecon for $6 - $8 for the cab, which will comfortably seat three (or less comfortably, 4).  You need to negotiate the fare in advance.  My wife has mobility issues, so I am not willing to walk the extra distance to save a couple of dollars.

For some people, the savings plus the "adventure" of taking the locals' bus makes the bus a much preferred transportation method.  I do not pass judgment either way.

Thank you